Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there...I don't have an SSR yet (I will buy a Spring Edition IF its made)...but I tow a 2500 Scamp 13ft trailer with about 250+ tounge weight. I tow this with several vehicles...2002 Snap Orange Beetle, Caravan, 30th Anniversary Trans Am, SCCA Neon....BUT, every car requires air suspension whether it be air shocks or air bags; this trailer is seriously heavy for its size, and without the air shocks, every vehicle above sags horribly in the rear, even the Caravan with leaf springs and the Trans Am...

So, I want to purchase the SSR as a serious tow vehicle for such a small trailer. But, I'm banking on the fact that the puny factory springs and Bilsteins just ain't gonna hold up with this tounge weight and additional weight in the bed.

Are the rear springs the same as the Trailblazer? Forgive my ignorance...I haven't researched the similarity yet.

Does anyone know if Gabriel or any manufacturer makes plain old air shocks for this truck? Does Air Lift make a kit for it? I don't care that its a "truck" and it may have "heavy duty" springs...I'm going by experience...and this trailer weighs down anything its attached to.

Thanks again!

:)

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,210 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem towing that trailer with the SSR.

I've had 1500 lbs. in my SSR and it still sets pretty good.

The guys with the trailers on our site may offer their opinion to help you decide.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
You shouldn't have an issue if you stay within the 2500 pound limit. The tongue load will just make the trim look better. If you need air springs, there was and maybe still is an air spring option on the Envoy. I am sure that hardware would fit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I believe air lift makes aux bladders and I have converted mine to full automatic rear suspension with an air lift control kit and air ride technologies bolt-in air springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts