Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:surprise: Is the stock oil pan on my 06 the only one that will fit the "R"? When I was detailing my front rotors and caliper carriers I found myself wondering if that large through hole on the cast aluminum pan had any ill effects on bottom end lubrication? I realize it's a holdover along with the splined spindle from the 4wheel drive chevy that shares the same platform but is there more to it? I also noticed that the 06 corvette C6 has the oil filter on the other side as does most other LS engines that I've seen. Could someone please clue me.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,051 Posts
Run extra oil for the slosh affect when you really romp on the gas. Some say a quart extra. I run about half a quart or a little more.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
:surprise: Is the stock oil pan on my 06 the only one that will fit the "R"? When I was detailing my front rotors and caliper carriers I found myself wondering if that large through hole on the cast aluminum pan had any ill effects on bottom end lubrication? I realize it's a holdover along with the splined spindle from the 4wheel drive chevy that shares the same platform but is there more to it? I also noticed that the 06 corvette C6 has the oil filter on the other side as does most other LS engines that I've seen. Could someone please clue me.
Yes, the AWD pan is a poor performer if you're a spirited driver! The C6 pan is the best option from the few pans that will fit. I'll bump a thread I did titled "C6 oil pan modifications", that may be of interest to you.

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
I just noticed your name change.:)

I put the C6 pan in. It will require new front cross member from LeftCoast32, as well as his billet AC compressor mount, which will allow the C6 pan to fit. You will have to do a minor trim for the AC mount to fit properly on the C6 pan. Very easy to do on a bench. Hard to explain when I did it 2 1/2 years ago, but logical when you see the components.

Topspin is being very kind concerning the stock oil pan. When you see the two oil pans side by side, the stock pan looks like a piece of crap. It has NO baffling whatsoever. The C6 pan is well baffled.

You can purchase the oil pan kit from Crate Engine Depot. Link to the part number. Search Page

The C6 pan will use a Mobil M113 filter. Your Chevy dealer has the same part with an AC Delco part number.

You can buy the required LC32 crossmember from Mike at Simple Engineering, but I can't tell from the description if the kit includes the billet AC compressor mount. If you are ordering it from Mike, make sure to ask him if he has access to the AC mount, which is only necessary for the C6 pan install.

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/product.sc?productId=93&categoryId=17

If not, you can contact Joe at LC32 for the billet AC compressor mount.

https://www.leftcoast32.com/

Reactions: Gr8XLr8r

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Yes, the AWD pan is a poor performer if you're a spirited driver! The C6 pan is the best option from the few pans that will fit. I'll bump a thread I did titled "C6 oil pan modifications", that may be of interest to you.
:|

OK, I (kinda) get the message and have also read the previous related posts on this subject. As to the "spirited driver" message, I understand.........but as I recall the previous posts, the FAILURE problems as to (oil starvation, etc.) came from those driving Trail Blazers or what ever similar model that used the same pan setup.

If that is correct, I'm thinking that those guys are taking their trucks (off road) in serious uphill/downhill scenarios and this has contributed to the oil pan problem as it is.

I surely do NOT want to have a bearing failure or whatever due to oil starvation, whatever, but I'm thinking a few full on accelerations with your '05/'06 SSR should be OK versus the "hill climbers" with the Trail Blazers.:nerd:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanx for all the info. I'm not in a panic to change the stock pan as I have some frame rigidity concerns, SE plate to replace the cross tube under the engine, and the frame brace further back. Just laid down a pretty good chunk of change for MGP caliper covers after painting rim barrels, rotors and caliper carriers. You know how much more expensive things are with our funny money and 12% tax. The top tool from SE shook out at $125.00 so I'm going to go back to save mode here until the spring. Again thanx for the info we'll talk again another time.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts

OK, I (kinda) get the message and have also read the previous related posts on this subject. As to the "spirited driver" message, I understand.........but as I recall the previous posts, the FAILURE problems as to (oil starvation, etc.) came from those driving Trail Blazers or what ever similar model that used the same pan setup.

If that is correct, I'm thinking that those guys are taking their trucks (off road) in serious uphill/downhill scenarios and this has contributed to the oil pan problem as it is.

I surely do NOT want to have a bearing failure or whatever due to oil starvation, whatever, but I'm thinking a few full on accelerations with your '05/'06 SSR should be OK versus the "hill climbers" with the Trail Blazers.:nerd:
The guys that I know of that are having bearing failures are driving the Trailblazer SS. It's an LS2 powered, limited production, rear wheel or AWD, fancied up Trailblazer. They kind of treat them like we treat our Rs - not going to see them out in the mud! That crowd is just younger and more performance oriented and their AWD guys are forced to use the crappy oil pans. I've seen dozens and dozens of bearing failures on their forum, all with stock oil pan!

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
I may have mistakenly replied to Moscooter instead of you, if I did sorry.
If you want to target your reply to a specific post, click on quote at the bottom right of the post, rather than reply. The previous message will be at the top of your post.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mike, I live in Canada, the price from SE was $75.00 plus $3.00 shipping US USD. After currency conversion from Canadian funny money to US greenbacks the tally was $105.74 charged to my mastercard. When the parcel arrived the mail lady presented me with a bill owing for $16.63, 12% federal and provincial tax plus $4.00 handling fee from customs. I just ordered MGP caliper covers @ USD $230.00 plus $46.00 shipping by USPS. My ebank statement was posted this morning for $357.00 Canadian, I fully expect another $50.00 minimum when the parcel arrives. There are times I wish I had family in the states.. I'd put a cry face on here but I haven't learned how to do that yet. My next purchase in the spring will be for an SE frame stiffener plate. I'm saving my pennys and expect it to be somewhere around $525.00 after the dust settles, unless of course the Canadian dollar loses even more purchasing power. Please don't misunderstand me, nobodies holding a gun to my head, pay to play.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
If you want to target your reply to a specific post, click on quote at the bottom right of the post, rather than reply. The previous message will be at the top of your post.
Kool - neato - right on - groovy baby ....it works

·
Registered
3,374 Posts

If you do a lot of really hard accelerating, it is possible to starve the engine for oil especially if you keep going for 12 or 13 seconds like at the drag strip

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
gr8xlr8r - Sorry for the snippy response. I didn’t notice that you were one of the “northern” family members...... Shipping stuff to Canada is a costly venture, for sure. I detest the bullying that comes from UPS International. Shipping to someplace just inside the US border and then “fetching” it personally seems like a decent option. Many do it.

Sorry for the Hijack..........

The LC32 crossmember does not include the AC mount bracket. Ordering the oil pan does not include it either... Currently, you can only get one through Left Coast 32. Here’s a link to the item in the web store there..... https://www.leftcoast32.com/shop-performance-parts/lc32-c6-oil-pan-conversion-kit

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Quick question for the group, if you are just a regular driver and enjoy doing a burn out or two, don't mind putting your foot in your SSR from time to time and are running an extra quart of oil , is this a needed upgrade or just a insurance upgrade ?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick question for the group, if you are just a regular driver and enjoy doing a burn out or two, don't mind putting your foot in your SSR from time to time and are running an extra quart of oil , is this a needed upgrade or just a insurance upgrade ?
To some degree I wished I hadn't asked the question, but better a devil you know. I'm sure there are some stock "R"s out there with high miles, I see a few on the forum for sale from time to time 200 to 250 thousand. A good Lucas additive with oil change could afford some peace of mind if not insurance, that stuff has done wonders in past chevy smallblocks and transmissions. I guess GM was looking to try to keep the "R" in some semblence of afford ability, I know from watching performance show on the idiot tube that oilpans are always a hastle with engine swaps, cross members, steering components and the like. The wallet and skill factor are usually effective governors to excessive launches or drifting, exceeding design limits. Not like there aren't other upgrades that improve the permagrin.Sure is odd though :wink2:to remove the wheel centers and look through to the other side of the room or a buddies eyeball looking back at you.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have run the Tail of the Dragon several times with the stock oil pan. Only thing I do is use Lucas oil treatment and run a total of 7 qts of oil. Never lost oil pressure on a run and it has been pushed way harder then most have driven their R's.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,379 Posts
Sure is odd though :wink2:to remove the wheel centers and look through to the other side of the room or a buddies eyeball looking back at you.
Ha,ha!! :eek :rolleyes: :cheers

Nick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts