Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had not driven "Beauty" for two or three weeks. I have her out today and notice that the Alternator gauge is running at 15. I wish I could rememeber what it has always run, but 15 seems high to me at I thought I should run at 13 or so. I had it on a battery tender and am sure the battery was topped off when I got her out. It has not come down any driving it today. So do I have any thing to worry about... or just ingnore it and enjoy the day.

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
I had not driven "Beauty" for two or three weeks. I have her out today and notice that the Alternator gauge is running at 15. I wish I could rememeber what it has always run, but 15 seems high to me at I thought I should run at 13 or so. I had it on a battery tender and am sure the battery was topped off when I got her out. It has not come down any driving it today. So do I have any thing to worry about... or just ingnore it and enjoy the day.
When I tested the alternator with a digital voltmeter, I was consistently between 14.3 and 14.4 volts. My auxiliary gauge is consistently over 14 volts. Some of the discrepancy could simply be a slightly different gauge setting.

If you want to confirm actual voltage, a digital voltmeter is a very easy check to do.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I use a inexpensive meter that goes into the lighter socket. That way I know the state of the battery voltage when I get in the truck. Always on and uses very little current. They also give you the inside temp in Celuis. All for about $5.00 to your door. Digital read out in blue and red. Beats getting under the hood with a meter. Ebay or most selling sites.

birdmans

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,893 Posts
There has been many posts on this if you check around. Gauges in gauge pod don't seem to be very accurate first of all. Finally figured mine out as it was explained to me. When you first turn the key to the on position only, not start or run it will read about 13 and that is the charge in the battery it is reading. Then when you turn the key to start/run it reads the alternator charging which on mine is almost pegged all the time.

Two tips.

1. Don't try to read these going down the road as you will be in the ditch. Not very good placement. Mostly look cool and give you bragging rights.
2. When ever you aren't driving your R have it plugged into your battery tender so you know it is always fully charged. That is what I do.

My 2 cents and we know what that is worth.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I use to work in a garage and anything charging between about 13.2 and 14.8 was good. So you should be ok. It may just be that your gauge is off a little. Good Luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the opinions. Looks like my 15 on the gauge is not abnormal and MAYBE what it has always run and I just did not notice it being that high. Auggie Doggie, I will check out what you suggest. Sounds like a good bit of information to have.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
My gauge was reading higher than a volt meter would when checking it... removed and replaced with the digital gauge and it reads the same as the volt meter now.

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
My gauge was reading higher than a volt meter would when checking it... removed and replaced with the digital gauge and it reads the same as the volt meter now.
Kruser, Your digital gauge was it plug and play or did you have to hard wire? And what brand?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts