Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally.... a properly curved windshield with the correct OEM logos is now available!!!

This is a DOT approved windshield, manufactured in North America by Pilkington for the SSR. It is NOT made in China. The technical answer to your question about the source is.... the glass is manufactured in the USA and then shipped to Mexicali for forming and finishing. It has the "Made in America" quality and all of the correct curves, contours and fitment of the OEM glass. The radio antenna is identically located in the windshield as well. Also on this windshield (with GM approval) is both the "GM Quality" logo and the "SSR" logo. These were the same on the glass produced and delivered to the Lansing Craft Center production line in 2003-06.

I'm certain that Pilkington will continue to import SSR windshields from China that are flat and have the Pilkington name on them, but they WILL NOT have the GM or SSR logo on the glass. Look at the attached photo. If the windshield you are going to have installed does NOT have that exact printing on it with the GM and SSR logo, it does not have the correct curvatures and is NOT made in America.

Fesler USA has long been a specialty glass company with strong ties to Pilkington and the performance aftermarket community. Simple Engineering is not experienced or equipped to handle windshields. I am very pleased for Fesler to manage and provide the SSR windshield to the SSR community.

Chris and Carrie Fesler have a fabulous small business. Please take the time to explore their website and read the "About Fesler" on the bottom of their home page. Their business philosophy and commitment to quality is very "old school" and aligns well with Simple Engineering.

Fesler USA will be managing all aspects of the sale, shipping and support of the SSR windshields. All Simple Engineering customers and the SSR Fanatic family can use Coupon Code MIKEAZ to get a $100 discount.

Lots of ways that you can get to the windshields:

I'm absolutely thrilled that this has finally come to fruition.

Mike
Rectangle Font Parallel Art Magenta
Automotive tire Hood Asphalt Yellow Fixture
Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is a journey that was started by Kerry Ropelato back in 2017. He contacted Pilkington Classics at SEMA about doing the SSR windshield. In 2018, I jumped in with his effort and we both pressured Pilkington Classics to do a windshield with the correct curves. It was at SEMA 2018 that we finally got their agreement to make a new windshield.

Rope brought his precious, brand new, still in the box, OEM SSR windshield from Utah and "loaned" it to me for Pilkington Classics here in Phoenix. I then "loaned" it to Pilkington and they shipped it off to their engineering group to be cloned.

About a year later, I was invited to the Pilkington warehouse to review all of the windshield prototypes they had created.

Here is the list of what was reviewed, measured and compared on the padded table:
  • Rope's OEM windshield
  • A standard Pilkington Chinese windshield
  • New Pilkington contour "A"
  • New Pilkington contour "B"
  • New Pilkington contour "C"
The difference in curvature (bottom to top) between the OEM glass and the Chinese Pilkington was astounding. The OEM glass laid on the table like a turtle on its back. The Chinese windshield laid on the table with nearly all of the top-to-bottom flat to the table.

Contours A, B and C were each very similar to the compound curves of Rope's OEM glass. We considered each one carefully and made the choice... If I remember correctly, it was prototype C that was the closest to the OEM.

With the design anchored and the commitment to proceed, we started the effort to get the approval from GM for the new windshield to have the correct logos. The GM Quality square was not nearly as difficult to get done as the "SSR". That approval took about 2 years.

We then persisted through Pandemic, reorganization of Pilkington management and delays created by manpower and supply chain.

Pilkington has had a long-standing relationship with Fesler USA. Chris Fesler is responsible for creating the flush-mounted DOT windshield for the 67-69 Camaro many years ago. His "touch" on frameless windshield creation is amazing. He has a specialty glass business tied smartly to Pilkington and offers fabulous glass options that have never been available elsewhere. This is a natural fit for the management of the SSR windshield to the SSR community. All I can say is "PERFECT"... "DONE".

Please join me in welcoming Fesler USA as a contributor to the SSR family. They will be a great asset. You can visit their home page and explore their website. They have a lot to offer. feslerusa.com

All my best,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The first small batch (only 30) of windshields are now available at the Pilkington warehouse in Phoenix. Shipping a windshield is accomplished with the glass standing up, wrapped, boxed and crated. It is done by motor freight and requires special handling. Fesler and Pilkington has this under control. Cost of shipping has gone up tremendously in the last year... Estimated trucking costs are running from $195 (shipped to a Pilkington Center) to over $450 for a remote residential delivery. Pick up at the Phoenix warehouse is currently no charge. Shipping options are discussed with each customer individually and handled on a case-by-case basis. There are a LOT of Pilkington distribution centers in the USA.

Here's the process and some of the rules:
  1. Place order.
  2. Fesler will reach out to verify payment and shipping info with customer.
  3. Pilkington will send out within 10-15 BUSINESS days via truck freight or Pilkington transfer. (Truck freight will be more than the distribution center transfer/shipping)
  4. Once picked up, Fesler will send tracking info if available (service center deliveries do not have tracking info) and take payment.
  5. If delivery is damaged, customer can call and Fesler will handle the replacement. Anyone who refuses their delivery, regardless of its condition, will incur a $300 return service fee.
All my best,

Mike

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
The first small batch (only 30) of windshields are now available at the Pilkington warehouse in Phoenix. Shipping a windshield is accomplished with the glass standing up, wrapped, boxed and crated. It is done by motor freight and requires special handling. Fesler and Pilkington has this under control. Cost of shipping has gone up tremendously in the last year... Estimated trucking costs are running from $195 (shipped to a Pilkington Center) to over $450 for a remote residential delivery. Pick up at the Phoenix warehouse is currently no charge. Shipping options are discussed with each customer individually and handled on a case-by-case basis. There are a LOT of Pilkington distribution centers in the USA.

Here's the process and some of the rules:
  1. Place order.
  2. Fesler will reach out to verify payment and shipping info with customer.
  3. Pilkington will send out within 10-15 BUSINESS days via truck freight or Pilkington transfer. (Truck freight will be more than the distribution center transfer/shipping)
  4. Once picked up, Fesler will send tracking info if available (service center deliveries do not have tracking info) and take payment.
  5. If delivery is damaged, customer can call and Fesler will handle the replacement. Anyone who refuses their delivery, regardless of its condition, will incur a $300 return service fee.
All my best,

Mike
Well, what can one say, perhaps it is not coincidental that this happens on Thanksgiving. Did not know about Fesler, but have written to them today to determine if their 69/70 Mustang fastback glass will fit my Boss 429, to possibly do a “twofer” with an SSR glass, also, if “flush mount” means no moldings? Cannot tell by the description in their website. What can one say Mike, thanks, falls short, wish I would have had you around when I was rebuilding my 67 Vette. If you could ever build RDMs to have them as spares, you would merit permanent recognition (statue ?). Guillermo

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Finally.... a properly curved windshield with the correct OEM logos is now available!!!

This is a DOT approved windshield, manufactured in North America by Pilkington for the SSR. It is NOT made in China. The technical answer to your question about the source is.... the glass is manufactured in the USA and then shipped to Mexicali for forming and finishing. It has the "Made in America" quality and all of the correct curves, contours and fitment of the OEM glass. The radio antenna is identically located in the windshield as well. Also on this windshield (with GM approval) is both the "GM Quality" logo and the "SSR" logo. These were the same on the glass produced and delivered to the Lansing Craft Center production line in 2003-06.

I'm certain that Pilkington will continue to import SSR windshields from China that are flat and have the Pilkington name on them, but they WILL NOT have the GM or SSR logo on the glass. Look at the attached photo. If the windshield you are going to have installed does NOT have that exact printing on it with the GM and SSR logo, it does not have the correct curvatures and is NOT made in America.

Fesler USA has long been a specialty glass company with strong ties to Pilkington and the performance aftermarket community. Simple Engineering is not experienced or equipped to handle windshields. I am very pleased for Fesler to manage and provide the SSR windshield to the SSR community.

Chris and Carrie Fesler have a fabulous small business. Please take the time to explore their website and read the "About Fesler" on the bottom of their home page. Their business philosophy and commitment to quality is very "old school" and aligns well with Simple Engineering.

Fesler USA will be managing all aspects of the sale, shipping and support of the SSR windshields. All Simple Engineering customers and the SSR Fanatic family can use Coupon Code MIKEAZ to get a $100 discount.

Lots of ways that you can get to the windshields:

I'm absolutely thrilled that this has finally come to fruition.

Mike
View attachment 624077 View attachment 624078 View attachment 624079
(y)

·
Premium Member
06 S/C Pac Blue & 05 Flame 6 Speed
1,225 Posts
@ROPE & @Mike in AZ great job guys...

Persistence Pays Off - It means to continue trying or doing something even when there seems to be no chance of success, and the effort required seems too great. However, when it comes down to achieving goals in life, persistence pays off.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,203 Posts
Mike,
Your efforts in supporting SSR interests have been both meritorious and highly-valued by the SSR community!
Thank you for bringing a true OEM-quality windshield to the family. I am going to visit the feslerusa.com site after writing this note. As long as costs are not out of reach, I am looking to replace my aftermarket FLAT windscreen for a properly shaped and domed SSR windscreen.
Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving!
With Deepest Respects,
Carl Bush

·
Daily Driver
9,508 Posts
Once again, for SuperMike the impossible is not, it just takes a little longer.
They are not cheap but worth every penny and then some.
My windshield is damn near impossible to drive into the Sun, and this news means I can install the NOS windshield I have squirreled away. I was afraid as soon as the new glass was installed it would be destroyed by a meteor or a cow jumping over the Moon.
Thanks Rope and Mike
Forehead Glasses Head Outerwear Arm
Forehead Glasses Head Outerwear Arm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts