Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this link on ESPN home page:
http://autobytel.espn.go.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/2/article_id_int/892

Yet another article authored by those who do not "get it." Not only are there plenty of digs about the vehicle itself ("waste of a corvette engine"), but they even trashed the colors and color names as "cheesey."

The one interesting comment (which others have made previously--Rebel I think) is the intriguing idea if Chevrolet would have offered a stripped down light weight version with no convertible roof, no tonneau--just a retro styled flat bed with the LS2--more in the true muscle car tradition. They very well might have sold a lot more vehicles!

As much as I love being able to "go topless" I have always preferred the overall look of the vehicle with the top up. The thought of having a light weight muscle pick up with that incredible styling does have its appeal. How many Fanatics would have been interested in this version of the SSR?

·
Registered
189 Posts
One of each would be the right answer

Kevin Honolulu said:
http://autobytel.espn.go.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/2/article_id_int/892

Yet another article authored by those who do not "get it." Not only are there plenty of digs about the vehicle itself ("waste of a corvette engine"), but they even trashed the colors and color names as "cheesey."

The one interesting comment (which others have made previously--Rebel I think) is the intriguing idea if Chevrolet would have offered a stripped down light weight version with no convertible roof, no tonneau--just a retro styled flat bed with the LS2--more in the true muscle car tradition. They very well might have sold a lot more vehicles!

As much as I love being able to "go topless" I have always preferred the overall look of the vehicle with the top up. The thought of having a light weight muscle pick up with that incredible styling does have its appeal. How many Fanatics would have been interested in this version of the SSR?

Kevin,

I would have purchased the stripped down version for saturday night and the more robust version for every day fun :thumbs

Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
189 Posts
No thats KOOL

2005SSR6Speed said:
I love the look of the Panel. I have contemplated doing this to mine. I have a picture of a model of the SS Panel.

:agree Hey if you get those panels manufactured, look me up, I think that is the other way that this vehicle could have gone :thumbs

My Best,

Rob

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rocket Scientist in training

Umm, Kevin, I only have one question :confused Where did he get the 5-Speed SSR that he test drove and wrote about? He must have taken a limited edition (very limited)! I could not believe that he wrote that in his article! It makes him sound like the idiot he is! :smash

Kevin Honolulu said:

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes! WHy weren't we at some of those GM board meetings!

2005SSR6Speed said:
I love the look of the Panel. I have contemplated doing this to mine. I have a picture of a model of the SS Panel.

I agree with you and Rob. That would have been an awesome Trio--SSR vert, panel, and straight pickup. Love the panel version! :thumbs I can't imagine that no one (at GM) thought of these other possiblities in the early development/ concept stages. Marc would know! Marc, was there ever any other versions of the SSR planned?

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Yes I wanted the Panel also. :cry :cry :cry :cheers :cry :cry :cry

·
Registered
893 Posts
Gggggggeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt

Me too.....or 3 or 4 or what ever...........love it......this is giving me bad Ideas :cheers

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5 speed???!

raveschi said:
Umm, Kevin, I only have one question :confused Where did he get the 5-Speed SSR that he test drove and wrote about? He must have taken a limited edition (very limited)! I could not believe that he wrote that in his article! It makes him sound like the idiot he is! :smash
:agree
I didn't even pick up that factual (but telltale) error.

I did enjoy this quote:

But, I’ll be damned if this wasn’t the only car that my neighbor, with whom I share a garage, has ever asked about taking for a ride. Not the Corvette, not the Mustang, and not the Mercedes-Benz CLS.
:lol

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
We really wanted to do the panel version. It would have seated 4 and the rear side windows would have had paint matching film. It would have been relatively low cost to tool, much less than the original tooling. Many of the body panels would have been the same. The doors would have been the same with different shape to the rear of the door glass. We would have needed a new console and a different arrangement for the rear tailgate. It would have had better performance because it would have weighed less. It would have been less expensive to make and therefore a lower price. Because of all of the GM problems, there was no money allocated for this development.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Kevin Honolulu said:

Written by someone that drives an Altima no doubt. Its funny there are so many contadictions of saying there is no storage space then calling the rear bed huge,, Oh well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
:ssr I don't understand how car mags can have writers that no nothing about what they are writing about. Everybody to their own kick but they are dumb.:ssr :flag

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
No panel SSR … No Nomad …allowed to be made. The trouble with producing something unique like the SSR is it makes us want more. Not to go back or settle for the blur of cookie cutter norm. Fingers crossed for down the road a few years, when G.M. won't have to walk the tight rope and the gree light can be given.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:

A panel wagon is coming from GM similar looking to the above, in the form of a streached HHR version Count on it. GM had a version at SEMA this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts