Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting in the drivers seat, looking through the bottom of the windshield toward the right fender, there are two holes in the black lining on the windshield. They are about 1/4" diameter. Riddle me this: what is the purpose of the two holes?

I think I know, but wonder what other's think.

Chris in Texas

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The engineering term for them is "Tooling Holes"

They serve no physical use other than to indicate an alignment.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Coould it be the light sensor that is not to be covered that if covered it would cause the system to be on whenever the ignition is on. It detects daytime light. Which might make it part of the DRL syste.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Balance the interior to exterior air pressure . . .

The tiny holes allow the air pressure to remain balanced between the interior of the cab and the outside. When our SSRs are parked and locked in a hot parking lot the pressure buildup in a heated cabin could overwhelm the seals around the windows causing them to pop out ? ? :rolleyes:

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Registered
740 Posts
WearyEagle said:
The tiny holes allow the air pressure to remain balanced between the interior of the cab and the outside. When our SSRs are parked and locked in a hot parking lot the pressure buildup in a heated cabin could overwhelm the seals around the windows causing them to pop out ? ? :rolleyes:

Gary (WearyEagle)
OMG! Are you saying our SSR's might explode?

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
dougnc said:
OMG! Are you saying our SSR's might explode?

Only if you are eating mexican food the night before and dirving around the next day with the heater on and the top and windows up!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Black tie is garaged right now but I'm going to the garage later to see what holes you're talking about.:banghead . Then if I don't like the way they look I'm going to seal them shut.:jester

·
Premium Member
31,463 Posts
Alignment markers

You'll see similar markings on nearly all windshields. It's an alignment device for installing the wipers. On my full size truck, it's a set of black dots about 1/2" above the shaded area.

For those that haven't spotted them, look just under the ends of the wiper blades on the inside (bottom of the right blade, top of the left blade).

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ssr71 said:
You'll see similar markings on nearly all windshields. It's an alignment device for installing the wipers. On my full size truck, it's a set of black dots about 1/2" above the shaded area.

For those that haven't spotted them, look just under the ends of the wiper blades on the inside (bottom of the right blade, top of the left blade).

ssr71,

Congratulations!!!!! You are right. The holes are for wiper blade alignment. However, there is more to the story. On the SSR, the drivers side wiper blade is 20" and the passenger side is 19". If you get the wrong size on the wrong side, it will screw up your wipers. You have to buy wiper blades singularly, not as a set(unless you want to buy two sets and keep one from each package as a spare). The alignment holes are important as a check that you have the right size blades on the right side.

Just a bit of SSR trivia that will come in handy some day.

Chris in Texas

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
19/20

Interesting that the wipers are 19 and 20 inch and the wheels are 19 and 20 inch.
Coincidence or did the designer have OCD?

Dave

Reactions: WyoSilver
1 - 18 of 18 Posts