Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share, just finished the install and it turned out looking stock. I have Android radios in all of my vehicles so thought this should be no different. Has all the functionality of any Android device and of course FM but also YouTube, maps, and any internet radio I want.

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,276 Posts
Looks nice in there. Mind sharing some of the installation parts that went behind the front end? Is that Joying unit pretty trouble free or is this the first time you have used the brand?

I thought about doing this a few times, will do it on the next one for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my 4th joying unit. I love them.
Parts used:

Metra Electronics 95-2001 mount kit ($11 Amazon)

PAC RP5-GM11 interface ($95 Amazon)

Joying 7" quad core eBay item number 231543637684 ($220)

The radio came from eBay right from joying it's the cheapest place to buy it. They also have a octocore. The quad core is fast enough not really worth the extra money for the bigger chip.

The mounting kit you only use the side brackets not the face. You use the face plate that comes with the radio and it sits behind the dash panel flush.

The interface keeps all door chimes and steering wheel controls and reverse camera trigger. And with the Android radio you can map the steering buttons to do whatever function you want, but I've just kept it vol and seek. Other than that it's straight forward, I use my phone as a hotspot and Bluetooth for calling. The radio runs all my apps and I usually just run Amazon music while I'm driving. It comes pre installed with igo navigation app (offline use) and Google maps (offline and on).

I'm going to have to take the dash apart one more time to center the radio in the opening I'll snap a few more pictures. It was 11pm last night when I finished installing it and didn't want to take it apart again just to center it.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,394 Posts
Looks very good!!! Nice job/work.

Nick

·
LKMURKY
450 Posts
Read the EBAY ad, shows 2 USB ports, does it take a USB Flash drive for music and video through those USB extension cables?
Sounds like it might be just the ticket to take Mike's ashtray conversion and convert it into media storage center.
Looks pretty sweet, and not a $900 item to take your 2006 truck to the future with music and nav, still keeping the Steering wheel controls intact. What problems or limitations have you encountered, other than not having a CD player anymore?
Thanks,
Cary
LKMURKY

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Looks great Homer4evr!! This is super cool and I also have wanted to do the same.

Are you aware of the Waze Application or have you ever used the Waze Application on your Android radio using WiFi from your phone!?

In the past I have connected Android tablets inside the SSR using WiFi from my phone. When I compare the Waze Apps running on both devices, it seems that the tablet never gets all the same updates as the phone?? The phone is much more accurate.

I would love to get some feedback on how well your radio Waze compares to a phone running Waze.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Neat installation, looks like you have all the options.

Gotta give you a (off the cuff) comment as a result of one of your pics. While SSRs seem to have a known ignition switch problem, I believe it is unrelated to a series of ignition switch problems that in recent past years caused many law suits against GM.

As I recall, one of the (causal effects) for those switch failures was found to be an excessive amount of weight/keys hanging from the switch key.

Yours would be one that would easily fit that scenario. Just sayin'.....................

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
With that glossy screen, how visible is it on sunny days with the top down?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me see if I can answer all the questions, first I know about the key weight issue, this looks like a lot but it is really just 2 keys a fob and a carabiner. Far less than most people. As for Waze app I've used it in my other vehicles and wasn't a fan at all. I always go back to Navagion it's a paid app but works better than anything else I've tried, although igo the app that comes with this radio is up there with navigon. Don't forget it also has Google maps and if you didn't know they own Waze. But long story short they all run perfectly on this radio. Yes it has 2 USB ports that are at the end of about a 2ft cable each. I just run them into the glovebox and forget about them. Since it runs on wifi I never worry about storing anything on the radio, all the music apps I use stream the content. YouTube music is amazing in a car. Any song you can think of at your fingertips and it's free and after a while YouTube builds you a custom channel of music you like and others that it thinks you would. I don't miss a CD/DVD player at all haven't touched one in any of my vehicles in years. Again streaming everything cuts back on so much stuff you have to carry with and added unlimited options available on various apps.

If your phone can not turn into a hotspot you can always add a in car hotspot or 3g USB stick from your wireless carrier. I have an older TMobile plan and I have real unlimited data not just the 5 or 10 gb so my hotspot is on all the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Missed a few, no satellite radio that I know of, but endless apps for radio that includes satellite radio apps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Screen gloss..good question haven't tried it in this vehicle yet I'm sure at some point it'll be hard to see but like any radio you could have it would be the same issue. We have a 8" version of this in my wife's car and a 10" in my Hummer and it's never been a problem seeing it in the sun but those also have a full time roof

·
LKMURKY
450 Posts
Screen Gloss/ Brightness/ visibility in the Sun seems to be the only unanswered question. I'm still in Daytona at the beach, and cant see my cell phone in the sun. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this to get it in before Maggie if you would be so kind as to assess that for us, please
Tks,
LKMURKY
BLURRIN @ the beach

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks great and what a nice upgrade. I wish you were close to me as I would certainly fork up a few bucks to convince you to install one in my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
that is really neat but I am afraid too complicated for me to use. I have a big button cell phone with only a camera on it. One of our SSRs has an aftermarket pioneer radio in it. Can't see the clock read out, too dim. Impossible to reset clock with out pulling out 100 page instruction manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my 4th joying unit. I love them.
Parts used:

Metra Electronics 95-2001 mount kit ($11 Amazon)

PAC RP5-GM11 interface ($95 Amazon)

Joying 7" quad core eBay item number 231543637684 ($220)
Thanks for sharing... Nice Job... I am going to place an order right away

·
LKMURKY
450 Posts
Bought this today, will be here just in time to get it installed for Maggie Valley.
I need a hands free phone and a GPS that is not in my coin tray that falls off when I turn, and the options for music that we have now as opposed to a 2006 sound system. Been thinking about this since my 04, finally had to pull the trigger, ran out of excuses not to do it.

Pretty sure I could disassemble the entire SSR (A whole lot slower than Dicktator), but there is a whole lot of electrical spaghetti I could screw up. I take Dick's guidance that the SSR electrical system is not to be trifled with lightly. Hoping there is some exceptionally helpful and talented fanatic out there who can give me the support I need when I get down to the scary parts.
Be asking in about a week.
Cary
LKMURKY
06:blur:

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Bought this today, will be here just in time to get it installed for Maggie Valley.
I need a hands free phone and a GPS that is not in my coin tray that falls off when I turn, and the options for music that we have now as opposed to a 2006 sound system. Been thinking about this since my 04, finally had to pull the trigger, ran out of excuses not to do it.

Pretty sure I could disassemble the entire SSR (A whole lot slower than Dicktator), but there is a whole lot of electrical spaghetti I could screw up. I take Dick's guidance that the SSR electrical system is not to be trifled with lightly. Hoping there is some exceptionally helpful and talented fanatic out there who can give me the support I need when I get down to the scary parts.
Be asking in about a week.
Cary
LKMURKY
If I may ask, what is different in the 2006 sound system? Thanks!

·
Read Only
29 Posts
I am a total Apple Mac person ... you talked about Android in your beautiful upgrade. Do you know if this will work with Apple devices?

·
LKMURKY
450 Posts
If I may ask, what is different in the 2006 sound system? Thanks!
Real question is the difference in technology between the Radio they installed in 2003-2006 as opposed to now. I'm thinking a good analogy is vinyl to bluetooth.
Most of us have our phone as our connection to the world, for music and navigation, and internet connectivity. I have to balance my Phone in the coin tray, on a window or dash mount, on my lap, in my pocket, or worse, have my wife read me the map and directions when we are traveling and perpetually finding our way.
I still use a Windshield mounted GPS, cause I hate the phone GPS and its clumsiness. I usually have both since they both give me different directions, figure at least one of them is wrong, might as well use my brain for something, But I have a 6 speed now and I don't have any extra hands left for unattached technology in the limited cockpit space on the R.
Add to that with eyes getting older, trying to see that small phone screen while you are driving is gonna kill me one day or hurt my truck.
Dragon Mike Polenske did an excellent conversion of the Outmoded Ashtray to a usable storage space, I'm gonna do the same so I can just keep all my media files on a USB stick, and throw a couple USB Charging ports in there so we can keep the phones powered while they are feeding data to the new media center.

So the answer to your question is the Tech in the truck is outmoded, and there is a ?easy? and inexpensive fix to make it current to today's communication and entertainment formats.

Cary
LKMURKY

1 - 20 of 23 Posts