Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Perfectionist
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas, I have a little wiggle in the steering wheel. I can grasp the wheel at 3 and 9 position. And I can get a little movement from side to side. Driving I feel it through the wheel when I go over rough pavement. The steering wheel itself it tight, I rechecked it today. Has anyone else noticed it? any suggestions? thx, D

Premium Member
Rear end rock over little bumps? If yes, that can come from worn shocks, or rubber bushings, especially the panhard bushings.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
If you haven't already done so install a stiffener plate or just a front end alignment. I did both and then lost 70lbs.
Not sure which one worked??

BAD BOW TIE
Could be rotors are a little warped. Does it get worse or better if you apply the brakes lightly?

Registered
Ok fellas, I have a little wiggle in the steering wheel. I can grasp the wheel at 3 and 9 position. And I can get a little movement from side to side. Driving I feel it through the wheel when I go over rough pavement. The steering wheel itself it tight, I rechecked it today. Has anyone else noticed it? any suggestions? thx, D
Mine did something like that with 40#s of air pressure, 30#s seems fine, but that might just be hiding another concern.

Registered
My 05 had a little wiggle but not bad compared to my 04. I rebuilt the entire front end. The only bushing that looked bad was one of the upper control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings. I wonder how much the lower shock mount stud going through the lower control arm plays in all of the wiggles. It is almost always under a load with the weight of the truck on it bur when you hit a bump it could have some movement to it. I wonder if people are replacing it when they do shocks or not? I replaced them on mine because I had the control arms off any way, but I just wonder if it could be a small bit of movement and gets over looked. If you decide to do the front end and need help let me know.

BAD BOW TIE
I completely missed the post evidently. I thought he said it wiggled going down the road like a shimmy, that is why I said rotors. Now he said it does it sitting still sitting in garage. That is a whole new ball game. So he must be doing the wiggling not the vehicle doing it. So my guess now would be loose steering shaft mounts by the dash or fire wall or loose steering linkage itself under the vehicle. Maybe he could explain it again. Good luck.

BAD BOW TIE
My tire shop and State Trooper testing facility calls for 40 pounds in the Goodyear RSA's for optimum performance so that is what I run. Don't know about the others.

BAD BOW TIE
On the little wiggle in the steering I had another Idea. It could be the column adjustment lever is not all the way in the locked position after someone moved or adjusted it.

Perfectionist
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I have tried the tilt in different positions, it does it in all of them. Almost like a little play in the bearing? Only has 20k on the clock. This play is sitting in the shop not driving. But it can be felt driving.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts