Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me to make a mod to their ashtray. This mod is very similar to the many other ashtray mods that others have done before. Placed silicone as a padding to prevent sliding of items, then added a switch with an LED light........ Just wanted to share in case someone else could use an idea or two.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,360 Posts
Once again THANKS for all you generously do for the Fanatic Family, Mike. :smile2:

You're the best!! :laugh:

================
David :black:

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very nice - where can you buy the silicone?
Pot holders. I used 2, one complete for bottom and the other I cut up for sides and top.

Thought about using some "sticky" rubber but that tends to attract a lot of dirt. This should prevent sliding of items and also a little cushion as well. Be warned, not too many glues stick to silicone. I had to try quite a few products before finding out that about the only thing that works decent is silicone adhesive, go figure.......

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
really, really nice, great work

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you work in the led and switch? I redid my ashtray earlier this year and use it all the time.
I used the existing wiring for the cigarette lighter but cut the end off, soldered on a black button push on/off switch that is wired to a small string of LEDs. I thought about somehow implementing a light that illuminates when the console is lowered but thought a small unobtrusive switch might be better. It was an easier installation and then you have the option of using the light or not. The wiring is adhered to the top corner of the console area so as to not get in the way of items in the tray and be hidden when open.

Thanks for the compliments :smile2:

·
Madtym
51 Posts
Sounds like a good way to do it. I had the cigarette lighter pushed back out of the way anyway, so might as well make it useful. I put a dark felt in the ashtray, so it definitely could use some light.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I did mine yesterday and I used a red pot holder. I want to add a light and a USB plug to charge cell phone. You can see the 2 orange wire nuts in the photo capping the wires. I want to find a way to make the light work like a glove compartment: Open on, closed off. Anyone done this?

Attachments

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Nice mod. Does the ash tray remove easily to make the mods? Does that middle section come out as an assembly or do you have to cut it?

Thanks, great mod.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice mod. Does the ash tray remove easily to make the mods? Does that middle section come out as an assembly or do you have to cut it?

Thanks, great mod.
The hinged unit assembly comes out of the rest of the dash with 2 screws and the wiring disconnect. The actual ash area just pulls out. The lighter needs to be disassembled. You can separate the housing assembly into 2 parts, after that you will need to dremel or otherwise cut out your desired opening.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to find a way to make the light work like a glove compartment: Open on, closed off. Anyone done this?
Looks good! I thought about the hinge on/off as well but could not find a nice switch that the buyer I did it for could easily install. There are a ton on EBay though and I am sure would work fine if you don't mind a little extra effort.

I think the best option due to the space you have to work with would be a miniature reed switch that is commonly used in model trains and alarm systems that actuate with a magnet. You would need to find one that is "normally closed" instead of "normally open". "Normally" in switches means that without being activated, the switch is in that state, you want one that when the magnet is NOT near the switch it IS allowing power. Mount the magnet on the door of the ashtray, so that it opens the connection when the door is closed and closes or allow power when the door is open. When the door opens, the magnet causes the switch to close and activates the LED lights. If you cannot find a normally closed switch there is a way to make a normally open one act like an closed by using another magnet. Going this route you would only need to attach a magnet and route the wiring.

Or, you could make some mounts near the base of the ashtray and use a small micro push switch, something like a pin switch for car doors and hoods. Space is limited but it should work with the right mount.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I ordered a momentary switch similar to that and a LED strip of lights. I am going to give that a try. I also ordered a USB cell phone charger outlet. I plan to install it in the modified box. I'll post some pics when done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts