Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zig at Cabriolet Hydraulics called, has 03 Slingshot Yellow from Lakeland in for Roof Cylinders. Opened Bed Cover and smelled like a fire.

He couldn't get Roof Pump (RDM) to work. I instructed him to "cut" wires to Bed Light and RDM should/may come back. It did!

Three wires to Bed Light, one is ALWAYS HOT!! It goes to RDM.

As we have been telling everyone "Change your light and fuse" to Bed Light!!

GM put in 3amp Bulb against a 10amp fuse! How is 3amp going to "blow" 10amp??? Can't/Won't then FIRE!

Pull fuse #40/Rear Fuse Box!

Fortunately because it is closed in, it doesn't flame, it just smolders.

Ed Borland aka ED in Fl found this problem on Jim Black's SSR. We had just repaired his Roof and he said it "stopped" working.

Ed found Bed Light had shorted out and burned PC Board. Cut wires, RDM came back, Roof worked again.

I have LED kit available with 1amp fuse.

$15.00 bucks includes mailing. Cheap Fix!

Go to my HOW TO LIBRARY: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up BED LIGHT FIX

Last picture is LED much brighter and SAFE!

Dicktator

Attachments

·
SSR Believer
1,887 Posts
Zig at Cabriolet Hydraulics called, has 03 Slingshot Yellow from Lakeland in for Roof Cylinders. Opened Bed Cover and smelled like a fire.

He couldn't get Roof Pump (RDM) to work. I instructed him to "cut" wires to Bed Light and RDM should/may come back. It did!

Three wires to Bed Light, one is ALWAYS HOT!! It goes to RDM.

As we have been telling everyone "Change your light and fuse" to Bed Light!!

GM put in 3amp Bulb against a 10amp fuse! How is 3amp going to "blow" 10amp??? Can't/Won't then FIRE!

Pull fuse #40/Rear Fuse Box!

Fortunately because it is closed in, it doesn't flame, it just smolders.

Ed Borland aka ED in Fl found this problem on Jim Black's SSR. We had just repaired his Roof and he said it "stopped" working.

Ed found Bed Light had shorted out and burned PC Board. Cut wires, RDM came back, Roof worked again.

I have LED kit available with 1amp fuse.

Go to my HOW TO LIBRARY: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up BED LIGHT FIX

Last picture is LED much brighter and SAFE!

Dicktator
Excellent advice. I put Dicktator's LED light kit in shortly after we bought our R. It took almost no time at all - it took longer to swap out the fuse as I recall - and the new bed light is much brighter and looks great! (y)

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picture of PC Board close to Bed Cover which is metal. Metal, PC Board don't like to touch! But when they do, PC Board shorts out and wires melt.

Suggest you put insulation between PC Board and Bed Cover.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
I replaced fuse and bulb right after purchase in 2015. One thing to keep in mind about the plug. When you go on a trip and you stuff your bed to the top and close the lid, most likely you are pinching the wire where it goes into socket. I unplug mine just for peace of mind.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,935 Posts
It's worth it for safety of course but man oh man is that a way better/brighter light!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I just took the bulb out of mine and have been running dark for years now. Maybe it's just me but I don't miss a light back there at all.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,094 Posts
Mike Moro is in the process of sourcing a replacement pc board for the bed light. This is another item that is no longer available from GM.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
689 Posts
Ditto @05PelicanSSR . Even if it's not a safety issue, it provides much more light than the standard light. :cool:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,807 Posts
No carpet, No Bed light, No Problem!!

Fuse #40, rear fuse box is also for Sun Visor lights and mirror light.
So, since there is even less load should the fuse be changed anyway, or did GM fuse it properly for no bed light?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts