Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,818 Posts
No carpet, No Bed light, No Problem!!

Fuse #40, rear fuse box is also for Sun Visor lights and mirror light.
I would still change the fuse. There is no way those visor lights need to be protected by a 10 amp fuse either. If 1 amp will hold the visors and the bed light then there is no reason to have more than a 1 amp for the visors alone.

·
Registered
2006 Aqua Blur, auto
105 Posts
Well, I wish I had a bed light. Evidently the previous owner pulled the entire thing out, wire and all. I guess I don't have to worry about a fire though.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,782 Posts
Well, I wish I had a bed light. Evidently the previous owner pulled the entire thing out, wire and all. I guess I don't have to worry about a fire though.
Is it possible they added the carpet kit and did not run the wire for the light? Sometimes the salvage yards don't realize they need the wire to go with it so they don't include it. And to be honest it is not a simple 10 minute job to get the wire through the bed side of the truck. I added it on my 04 and it took some work to get it done.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
And the other end is no picnic either. You have to loosen up the box for the release cables to get the harness through. I pulled my rear wheel well plastic out to give me a little more room. I was almost to the point of pulling the rear bumper but I kept working on it and got it done with out going that far.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
And the other end is no picnic either. You have to loosen up the box for the release cables to get the harness through. I pulled my rear wheel well plastic out to give me a little more room. I was almost to the point of pulling the rear bumper but I kept working on it and got it done with out going that far.
:unsure:
I'd hook mine up if I could pin point exactly where the hole and wiring comes out along the side rail. My light harness just hangs down and has been cut off since I bought it three years ago. The floor and all sides of bed are fully carpeted and I see no switches along or near the drivers side cargo lid support.
Seems like I'm getting the message I'd have to pull off the rail channel on drivers side and then peel back the carpeting to even get a start on what to do next.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
:unsure:
I'd hook mine up if I could pin point exactly where the hole and wiring comes out along the side rail. My light harness just hangs down and has been cut off since I bought it three years ago. The floor and all sides of bed are fully carpeted and I see no switches along or near the drivers side cargo lid support.
Seems like I'm getting the message I'd have to pull off the rail channel on drivers side and then peel back the carpeting to even get a start on what to do next.
The wiring comes into the bed behind the drivers side lid hinge. You would need to take the bed cover off. That is a 2 man job. Then the carpet has to be pulled back on that side so you can remove the hinge to get to the hole where the wire comes through. I am going from memory here. I believe you have to remove the upper track rail so you can pull the carpet out. Then you need to either trace around the bracket or use tape so you can get it back in the same spot. Remove the 4 bolts and the bracket comes off and the hole is behind it. They have a rubber sponge like like that the wires come through the hole in the side of the bed. This end of the harness has one set of wires to go to the switch for the bed lid and the other for the light. If the wires to the light have been cut, Mike has a repair kit with what you will need.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
The wiring comes into the bed behind the drivers side lid hinge. You would need to take the bed cover off. That is a 2 man job. Then the carpet has to be pulled back on that side so you can remove the hinge to get to the hole where the wire comes through. I am going from memory here. I believe you have to remove the upper track rail so you can pull the carpet out. Then you need to either trace around the bracket or use tape so you can get it back in the same spot. Remove the 4 bolts and the bracket comes off and the hole is behind it. They have a rubber sponge like like that the wires come through the hole in the side of the bed. This end of the harness has one set of wires to go to the switch for the bed lid and the other for the light. If the wires to the light have been cut, Mike has a repair kit with what you will need.
(y)
Thanks, that gives me at least a clue as to what I'd have to do. I've long been a fan of these newer little flash lites that shine so much better than the old D battery ones ever did. While the damn AAA batteries don't last very long, they are handy to have and I try to keep several around. One good spot would be leaving one in cargo bed.

Since I don't have a near by Fanatic around, I'm finding it hard to get in the mood to tackle it. I note that Dictator said is was a "tough job" and his pictures show a date of 2010...............Eleven years ago.

I'm thinkin'.............not gonna happen here.;)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If your wires are cut off in the bed and hanging there, then it may not need to take off the bed cover. If there is enough dangling to do a splice it might be fairly easy. If you have to pull the bed cover that is a 2 man job.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
(y)
Thanks, that gives me at least a clue as to what I'd have to do. I've long been a fan of these newer little flash lites that shine so much better than the old D battery ones ever did. While the damn AAA batteries don't last very long, they are handy to have and I try to keep several around. One good spot would be leaving one in cargo bed.

Since I don't have a near by Fanatic around, I'm finding it hard to get in the mood to tackle it. I note that Dictator said is was a "tough job" and his pictures show a date of 2010...............Eleven years ago.

I'm thinkin'.............not gonna happen here.;)
I'm with you on the 3 barrery AAA flash lights. I've got 'em everywhere. As for the bed light, I just unscrewed the connection and left the cable rolled up in the front corner of the bed. Don't want a fire and don't need a light in the bed. Works for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm with you on the 3 barrery AAA flash lights. I've got 'em everywhere. As for the bed light, I just unscrewed the connection and left the cable rolled up in the front corner of the bed. Don't want a fire and don't need a light in the bed. Works for me.
When I bought my truck the cable was disconnected from the light, and it was just laying there on the side of the bed. I was going to hook it back up but the connector looked a little cruddy, so I just left it till I could research the appropriate replacement. The truck is a project... I've never driven it.. and the cable was just laying there. A friend dropped by one day and was fascinated with the truck. The Roof Door Module is bad, so the bed cover doesn't unlatch with the click of a button. I crawled under the truck and released the bed cover. Lifted the cover... a few seconds later I smelled something odd... about 30 seconds later I realized I had a serious problem on my hands. My friend didn't understand why I stopped showing him the truck, and instead ran frantically looking for tools and spewing expletives. I Couldn't remember which 15 amp fuse was the culprit, and couldn't waste time looking it up, so I disconnected the 125amp fuse under the hood. Just one more little annoyance that leaves me wondering.... Did the lamp fry the cable before I bought it? Did the cable fry the RDM? Did my moving the cable to look at the connector cause two wires to short together again? Will I ever drive this truck? What else am I going to find before I get this thing straightened out?

·
Registered
2006 Aqua Blur, auto
105 Posts
Is it possible they added the carpet kit and did not run the wire for the light? Sometimes the salvage yards don't realize they need the wire to go with it so they don't include it. And to be honest it is not a simple 10 minute job to get the wire through the bed side of the truck. I added it on my 04 and it took some work to get it done.
That is a distinct possibility. My truck is a restoration and the bed was totally redone.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Be careful in "cutting" and winding up Bed Light cable. Yellow wire is LIVE and goes to Roof Door Module.

I your Roof stopped working, look at what you may have done with bed light cable.

This is how we discovered problem. We had fixed Roof for Jim Black and he said "It stopped working". Ed Borland aka ED in Fl opened Bed Cover and found wire to bed light had caught fire from short, fortunately with Bed Cover was closed and it did not burst into flames. Once separated, Roof worked again.

Tape, wire nut, EACH wire as if it were LIVE to protect your Roof Door Module.

Suggest you pull down Bed Cover carpet and put some insulation on PC board. PC board touches metal Bed Cover, out goes PC Board and Roof won't work.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
THE ONE AMP FUSE IS NOT ENOUGHT!
I witnessed a bed light fire in Florida at one of the first Rallies I attended. The owner of the truck next me on the morning we were departing put the last of the clothes bags in the bed that was already full. He closed the lid and before he closed the tailgate smoke started coming out of the bed.
Listen to the Dicktator. Chevrolet did not put insulation behind the light board. When the bed is overfilled the bags or boxes push the liner up causing the board to contact the metal of the bed. Even with the one amp fuse you have a risk of frying the board. Insulate behind the light assembly.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts