Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim,
How difficult would it be to convert the 2005 SSR to be a 4 X 4, since it already has the slip diff and traction control
thanks
Bard
:ssr

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Neither of what you mentioned has anything to do with a 4X4 conversion. The real key is having room to install the transfer case and all the front axle hardware. Then you would have to find a place to install the controls. The front suspension and engine oil pan should accept the front axle hardware since they have minimum change from the Trailblazer. The transfer case and front prop shaft might have issues. We never worried about that during the original SSR design.

·
Registered
158 Posts
chop chop

............or you could check out the SSR fiberglass body that's available

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I've heard of "unexpected" modification ideas, but this one floors me. :)

WHY would you want to do this?

Besides the obviously high costs of doing it in an aftermarket setting, you would be adding even MORE weight to a vehicle that already "has enough". :)

I wouldn't advise this. :)

Jim G

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JimGnitecki said:
I've heard of "unexpected" modification ideas, but this one floors me. :)

WHY would you want to do this?

Besides the obviously high costs of doing it in an aftermarket setting, you would be adding even MORE weight to a vehicle that already "has enough". :)

I wouldn't advise this. :)

Jim G
Jim,
Actually my concern is I'll be using this all year long. In the north east (NJ) we really go thru the gambit of weather. I found just on wet days it slips and slides. I can just imagine what it will do in the snow and slush. Besides it might be neat to have the only one 4 X 4 SSR. It should be cheaper than adding thet supercharger, don't you think???
Bard's '05 :ssr

·
Registered
442 Posts
FORGET conversion!!!!!!!! That fiberglass body mention is the answer. Find a decent used fourwheeler, get the SSR body and you have what you want w/o screwing up a real SSR. That route will allow a lot more lift and everything else you will want/need. More appropriate offroad/easy-to-clean seats could be used with a stripped interior, too.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Deltweety: I'm sorry everyone is giving you such a hard time on this!

If you are getting slippnig and sliding in wet weather, something is wrong. The Goodyear tires chosen for the SSR are VERY good in terms of wet weather traction. Are you running correct pressure (30 to 32 psi set when cold)? And, is your traction control not functioning??

I have NEVER gotten my SSR to slide at ALL in wet weather, and I'm now running a lot more power than I was stock. Something is amiss.

Also, note that 4-wheel drive as implemented on most GM vehicles is NOT "all wheel drive". There is a big difference. All wheel drive is used ALL the time. 4-wheel drive CANNOT be used on pavement unless the pavement is icy or snowy. If it is used under conditions where the wheels cannot "slip" it will fail shortly thereafter. This thread environment is too limited to explain why, but look up the differene between all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive somewhere on the web and you will understand.

I've owned 4-wheel drive pickups when I lived and commuted in Minnesota, and elarned their limitations very early.

As for the cost of a 4-wheel drive conversion, it just MIGHT make that superchareger look like a bargain. THis is because you would be paying replacement parts prices for everyhting you need, instead of getting it as part of a competitively priced vehicle.

If you really need all wheel drive, buy a vheicle that comes with it STOCK.

Jim G

·
Registered
153 Posts
:willy: :eek :nodno
:agree

Hi,
I live in the moutians of north west (New) Jersey, and the winter is why I did not trade my Sierra 4X4. If I didn't allready have a 4X4 I'd go out and get a used winter beater with 4X4 and big clunky tiers.

My $0.02 PocoToro :seeya :cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JimGnitecki said:
Deltweety: I'm sorry everyone is giving you such a hard time on this!

If you are getting slippnig and sliding in wet weather, something is wrong. The Goodyear tires chosen for the SSR are VERY good in terms of wet weather traction. Are you running correct pressure (30 to 32 psi set when cold)? And, is your traction control not functioning??

I have NEVER gotten my SSR to slide at ALL in wet weather, and I'm now running a lot more power than I was stock. Something is amiss.

Also, note that 4-wheel drive as implemented on most GM vehicles is NOT "all wheel drive". There is a big difference. All wheel drive is used ALL the time. 4-wheel drive CANNOT be used on pavement unless the pavement is icy or snowy. If it is used under conditions where the wheels cannot "slip" it will fail shortly thereafter. This thread environment is too limited to explain why, but look up the differene between all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive somewhere on the web and you will understand.

I've owned 4-wheel drive pickups when I lived and commuted in Minnesota, and elarned their limitations very early.

As for the cost of a 4-wheel drive conversion, it just MIGHT make that superchareger look like a bargain. THis is because you would be paying replacement parts prices for everyhting you need, instead of getting it as part of a competitively priced vehicle.

Jim G
Jim,

Thanks for your imput ! I know first hand the difference between all wheel drive and 4 X4. I used to own a Real Jeep Cherokee, which had a Full time AWD (even though drive wheels were left front and right rear), Full time 2 wheel drive and 2 Part time 4 wheel with a High and Low. I also own an Audi A4 Quattro which is a full time AWD, but I am selling it. I also own a 1964 Volvo P1800 but that's just a show car.
The slipping I get is with the traction control on and comes when I first start from a stop or making a low speed sharp turn --- it fish tails. Tire pressure is fine been checked and of course the dealer can not duplicate the condition.
I used to work as a Service Mgr for a Olds, Jeep, Sub dealer and I know my cars fairly well.
I was wondering since the SSR was built on the Trailblazer frame the conversion would not be to difficult. I guess I was wrong, but you have to admit it would be Neat to have an SSR that's Trail Rated to go any where any time!!!! :cool

Bard's
'05 :ssr

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
153 Posts
:confused I thought "Trail Rated" was a Jeep trade mark??????
If you want a :ssr that is "Trail Rated" :jester you would nead to start with an old Jeep (broken down preferred :smash ) than swap the body :lol and go for "neads some work" Ford 5.0 Mustang engine :glol

Now what would be REAL COOL. Rebadge one in to a GMC Caballero :ssr :cool

PocoToro :thumbs

·
Registered
590 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
This is getting very strange . . . :)

Jim G
Getting very strange.............? Started out strange and has been slipping and sliding from there :yesnod

1 - 20 of 24 Posts