Chevy SSR Forum banner

Another "WHY ME"

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Autoprof 
#1 ·
Installed custom E-Brake cover and console lid cover. Also got around to painting smooth hood emblem and cover over radiator but guess what, Color doesn't match. Paint store mixed 9075 Torch Red. Same store I got paint from to paint insides of my wheels that matched perfectly. "WHY ME"

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Don't kick yourself too hard, SWT . . .

I experienced the very same "mis-match mess" years ago when I had the interior stuff (Seat Hoops, Door Pull Bars and Dash Bar) plus the Wheels painted Slingshot Yellow.

The only difference . . . since I did not want to leave The Doophus overnight, the paint shop took all of the parts off (the wheels were an extra set) and they took their time with the painting and clear coat process.

In spite of all the careful "color code matching" . . . nothing matched and everything had to be repainted before the final install.

It soon became obvious that The Doophus was even more unique than I had previously thought and doesn't even match other Yellow SSRs and Corvettes . . . WEIRD.

! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: !

#8 ·
/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
I recall that piece was black in color to start with. Maybe they just prepped it and painted over the black versus going with a primer first. That may have effected the different shade or red that resulted./forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_plain.png
No I sanded all black off and primed. The piece above radiator is different shade also.

#10 ·
"Rawbert" I got some Apple Red in a spray can, here at the house, that I bought at Wal Mart to spray my front splitter if needed. Sometime back an SSRfanatic, on the web site, said it matches real good, so I bought me a can.

Leave it alone ... a two tone front end/grill is one of a kind, looks good in the pictures.

Saturday (the 18th) is Lunch at the Cookie Jar Cafe in Dunlap, Tennessee, at 11 o'clock for the HeartBeat of Tennessee SSR's !!! PM's going out today. tennesseecozydog. :ssr

#12 ·
red and black seem to be the worst to color match. they "age" differently. for some reason UV wants to change red to orange and then to yellow for some reason. hope your new paint cures closer to the original. i had a '67 dart, gorgeous red, but couldn't find the exact color match paint, no matter how many times i tried. just gave up and kept it waxed and shiny..... nobody else seemed to notice.... go figger, eh...

#16 · (Edited)
I should have learned from this.
After almost 8 weeks, I finally picked up my parts from the paint shop. I spent hours redoing my old and new bling from @Dragon2U. In all the excitment it wasn't until after parts were installed I noticed the color mismatch.

Old parts to go back on and will have to deal with it getting them repainted after Maggie Valley

I guess misery loves company. I just hope I didn't catch your streak.

Also having same problem as others pictures turned

Attachments

#17 ·
Just a little note for you guys on the paint colorations. I see this all the time from every shop around.

The paint can be mixed the same (formula) and the outcome can be different due to what's called metamerizm.

An example is like this:
one panel gets a white base (primer or paint)............one gets a grey base
Lay 3 coats of the same color over each and clear coat them.
When you stand back and look at them the one with the white base will appear brighter and more vibrant.
The one with the grey base will appear muddy and darker.

What is happening is the base is showing through the semi transparent color(yes they are, even if you can't tell by the naked eye). The only way to correct this is to use the correct base under your colors. Adding various toners to the colors doesn't always work out well.

#20 ·
I am not sure what caused it. But I tried a fuse box from a trailblazer with rattle can I ordered on line. Color good with light grey primer but developed cranks. So I waited until this spring got the additional pieces and paid a professional. I gave him a new fuse cover and the old one for a color match. He painted them both.
The attached photo shows the fuse box on my fender with a idle pulley washer (been replaced with chrome) that I painted with same rattle can.

He has replied to my text today and said bring him something and he will get it right.
Found the rear fender stone guards that are perfect paint match near the bottom.
So off to the paint shop Monday
He can have for over a week while I'm at Maggie Valley.
Oh well, at least hes going to make it right. **** happens.
Just extremely disappointed.

Attachments

#23 ·
Update on my color issue

I recieved a text from paint shop last friday.
Seems he painted them victory red not torch red ?? Said they would be ready Wednesday after I returned from Maggie valley. So Wednesday comes and now not ready until Friday.
2 more days won't kill me as long as it's done right.
Hopefully Friday I can post completed pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.