Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I need to get a tow bar installed pretty quick. Should I just order one from a local dealer? GMPartsDirect? Or is there something custom that might be better?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
How quick is pretty quick? Days, weeks?

If you can get a garanteed overnight ship, that might be fastest. Just make sure they are going to ship the next day. I recently experienced problems ordering a laptop battery. It came overnight, after Sony sat on the order for a week.

The only thing faster would be if someone local would loan one to you.
If it is a new in the box hitch you should seriously think of buying another new in the box hitch to replace the one borrowed. (It's going to show some wear and tear.)

The local dealer, Nope not gonna happen fast. Unless they live next door to the wharehouse.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
beer100 said:
How quick is pretty quick? Days, weeks?

If you can get a garanteed overnight ship, that might be fastest. Just make sure they are going to ship the next day. I recently experienced problems ordering a laptop battery. It came overnight, after Sony sat on the order for a week.

The only thing faster would be if someone local would loan one to you.
If it is a new in the box hitch you should seriously think of buying another new in the box hitch to replace the one borrowed. (It's going to show some wear and tear.)

The local dealer, Nope not gonna happen fast. Unless they live next door to the wharehouse.
Loan? Don't these things have to be welded on and wiring done?

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
There are lots of threads on this site that talk about the hitch. You are in luck since the vehicle is set up for a hitch with only some simple wiring connector to add based on your trailer.

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Doug,

Are you looking for a hitch, or in fact a tow bar, which would let you pull the SSR behind a motorhome??

If it's to tow the SSR, the auto probably won't like being pulled with the rear wheels on the ground. The manual will be much happier. Typically, automatics are towed on a two-wheel dolly with the driving wheels off the ground.

Ray

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flassh said:
Doug,

Are you looking for a hitch, or in fact a tow bar, which would let you pull the SSR behind a motorhome??

If it's to tow the SSR, the auto probably won't like being pulled with the rear wheels on the ground. The manual will be much happier. Typically, automatics are towed on a two-wheel dolly with the driving wheels off the ground.

Ray
Tow hitch. I have a little family emergency which might require renting a u-haul trailer to move some stuff.

Unfortunately, I might need it by Friday. :(

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I also have a new in the box, again where are you at, someone near you may have one if we knew where you are located. PM me .

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it true that a trailer hitch for a 2004 will fit on a 2005?

Sorry Frank, just making sure! :)

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The hitch system is the same for '03-'05. I am not sure if anything has changed for '06.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts