Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me just offer a general thank you to the "ssrfanatic.com" community. I'm a new member looking to purchase my first SSR. I only recently became aware of the forum. And even though I have all the original sales brochures, I have gained a lot of knowledge and insight from the website that I'm sure will help my with my search for, and purchase, of my "dream" SSR. Having said that, I'm wondering if any members have had any experiences dealing with Direct Auto Sales LTD, a consignment dealer out of Portland Maine? Working on a deal that seems "too good to be true". Any insight may help before I proceed!

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
if it is too good, beware. Dealers are in business to make money. Try to deal with some one who is knowledgable of the product. Also some one who has sold several SSRs. SSRs on sale by forum members are generally better cared for and have the upgrades that are recomended.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Where are you located? I am sure there is a Fanatic close to you that is knowledgeable about SSRs and would be glad to evaluate the SSR you are looking at and advise you on possible problems and the general value of the truck.
Jack

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Do they have the truck at their location that you can look at it or is off site and dealing with pictures only? I would also suggest buying from someone who you can talk to and find out what they did to the truck or had done over a dealer and no history on the vehicle.

·
BlueStreak
26,745 Posts
If it is a consignment, maybe the question should be where is the one you are looking to buy.If the consignment dealer is in Portland ME does that mean that the SSR is there as well? Or is the dealer merely representing someone somewhere else?

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,632 Posts
You said it is an unbelievable good deal. My dad always said if it sounds to good to be true or too good of a deal--------- buyer beware.
1. Have someone look it over with you.
2. Do a Carfax to check if wrecked or a flood car, etc
3. Carfax will also tell you how many owners and all the places it has been registered.
4. Get comps of recently sold units and their selling price.

Good luck..

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with all the above advice. We "thought" we were buying ours from a reputable Chevrolet Dealership over 1000 miles away. We fortunately didn't get $-hurt-$ BUT all the promises they made were not true plus we drove 1108 miles home to find the oil filter wasn't tightened. They did an oil change just before we picked it up, when home I decided to change it again, I removed the filter with 3 fingers! I didn't need a full hand to spin it off. Imagine what would have happened to my 6.0 if it fell off on the highway at 75mph. Just one of many of the dealers fastuche's. CHECK IT OUT and buy from a member here.

·
Blue Angel
553 Posts
Hi SSdad4, I live in the Portland, Maine area and am willing to help if it's a real truck and a real deal.

Years ago before I found my 'best friend' I played along with a "deal too good to be true" that was theoretically in England. As luck would have it I have friends in England and after repeated requests to send me the VIN number and contact my local friends to tell them the location so they could check the truck for me the emails just stopped. Never did get a VIN out of the theoretical seller.

I am not suggesting that is the case here but, please be careful. Make no promises and do not offer a deposit or holding fee. At least just yet. If they are legit they will give you a VIN and a location. If it is anywhere in Maine or even northern New England I am willing to have a look. There are others here willing to help as well.

Good luck and remember real family (SSR family) is all around you!
Looking forward to seeing you on the road!

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
@SSdad54, All above is good advise, but I say look at the "For Sale" thread on this Forum and buy from a Fanatic. Greater chance of upgrades already done and better care. As far as Dealers, a number of us bought ours from North Freeway Hyundai Spring Texas. They have about 5 including an "Allstate 400 Parade Truck" #24 of 45 built. @river_rat I think has one of them. AND---
Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the round Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your Location and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. On the left side of the page click on "Signature". Again put the year of your SSR, and anything else you want to show in your posts. Then CLICK "SAVE" at the bottom. That way we can help you better if you have a problem.
Oh, Good luck.
Nick & Kathy

·
Blue Angel
553 Posts
I went to their website (https://directautosalesltd.com/index.php) Seems legit, certainly some time was put into creating it. I know the street the company lists as their office location. It is an industrial, small business area. Not shady or suspect. However when I use the search on their site for a vehicle no SSR's come up. I don't expect these guys to have cars onsite, they are a broker not a dealer. But there should be a listing...

Seriously, I am still hoping this works out for you! Am willing to face them 1 on 1 if it helps. I also have a car salesman friend (Honda - sorry) I could bring along for effect. :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First off, let me just offer a general thank you to the "ssrfanatic.com" community. I'm a new member looking to purchase my first SSR. I only recently became aware of the forum. And even though I have all the original sales brochures, I have gained a lot of knowledge and insight from the website that I'm sure will help my with my search for, and purchase, of my "dream" SSR. Having said that, I'm wondering if any members have had any experiences dealing with Direct Auto Sales LTD, a consignment dealer out of Portland Maine? Working on a deal that seems "too good to be true". Any insight may help before I proceed!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for all the valuable input and advice! Believe me, I've considered this all before posting this thread. I am in pittsburgh pa. Story is that the owner passed away recently and the son is out of the country and brokering the vehicle thru this Direct Auto Sales in Portland Maine. But the kicker is that the vehicle is "supposedly" in Anchorage Alaska! Story is it was shipped to a buyer there but the deal fell thru. So it's sitting there in DAS's warehouse ready to be shipped all the way back here to the east coast when I finalize the transaction. All at their cost of course! (To be continued!)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To continue....believe me I've been looking at all outlets for an SSR. I've looked at local vehicles (though not many available here in pgh!), I've been searching all the on-line websites like ebay, cars.com, cargurus.com, autotrader, etc. I have looked at some listed on north freeway hyundai's website, even talked to a salesman (Paul) there about a few I'm interested in. Went so far as checking into shipping back to pa. And obviously I have been watching the SSR's for sale on the ssrfanatic page.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyway, thanks again to everyone! I feel like part of the "SSRfanatic" family already! Didn't realize how late it's getting so I'll sign off for tonite. But I will keep you all advised as to how this all plays out. And I'll close with a picture of my other "baby" (sorry but it's not for sale!)

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2010 SS purchased in August 09 with 4k miles. Stripes added, custom katskin white leather interior, long tube headers, borla cat back exhaust, airaid cold air induction, suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stlhotrod, I agree completely! I was told the vehicle was shipped out there from Maine. But why would they do that if the deal and financing wasn't already completed? And who's eating all this shipping cost back and forth? Anyway, I pulled back from the deal when my brain took over from my heart!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts