Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased our new SSR yesterday and are excited to take delivery Monday.

When we asked the dealer how many will be produced they did not seem to have a good handle.

Can any one provide how many were produced in 2003, how many are sheduled for 2004, and is there a set number of years for the SSR to be produced? Any help is appreciated. Well back to pacing the floor until Monday afternoon!

:cool

R

·
0 Posts
Production Numbers

I think there were 3416 '03 models produced. I'm not sure about the projected '04 numbers or beyond. Welcome to the club.:cheers

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Couldn't find the write-up from the production announcement, but If my recollections are correct, GM needed to build 15000/year for 5 years to meet their objectives - anyone with more solid info?

Congratulations on your SSR- looking forward to owning one as well, but it'll be used - pricing in Canada is nuts. I sat in my ordered SSR (3796) on the lot - it's still available - sucks not to be playing with it.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
03 production numbers

Thought I saw somewhere that there were around 3600 of the '03s made. Can anybody help us out here? Also did I assume correctly that the serial numbers did not start over in the '04 models? If GM makes 75, 000 in order to "come out" financially, we (the buyers) will be screwed like they did the '90 454 pickup buyers. I heard that GM wasn't going to be guilty of l that one again. They caught a lot of flack for pulling that fast one.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
I've got pretty much every piece written about the SSR, and two of the press release kits from 2002. I didn't read anywhere about GM committing to a limited number of pieces, but I remember reading that they were going to build about 75000 pieces. Only the scummy salesmen are making dumb claims about availability - like telling you this is one of 500 being built while leaning on serial number 3800 or so.

Based on the serial numbers now on EBay, they are producing at least 1000/month, which seems to be in line with projections of 15000 a year. I don't get how that's screwing the customer - they are building a gazillion more Vettes a year, and the Vette owners seem OK with that. What fast one did they pull on the 454 SS?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Production beyond demand.

In the case of the SS454 pickup production surpassed demand. That is not good for GM or the buyers. I was just hoping that GM wouldn't do that again. I admit that it might have been the salespersons that buoyed the idea that there was going to be a small number of units produced in the SS454, but that is what the public was led to believe - whether by the GM brass or the foot soliders. I don't think there can be a comparison made between the SSR and the 'Vette, not just yet!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good side!

Look at the bright side of higher production. If they build a lot of SSR's it would stand to reason that there will be more auto techs knowledgable about working on these cars. I see quite a few posts stating that Chevy service departments either don't know how to work on SSR's or they can't get replacement parts.
Also, there will be a larger market for aftermarket goodies and it will be easier to find replacement parts when things do break down in the future.
Once I get my SSR I plan to keep it for quite some time because it is so unique. I would hate it if the power top quit working after 10 years and I couldn't find replacement parts because they didn't make enough SSR's to support a good replacement parts market.:)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Parts

And speaking of parts, the new latch that the dealer installed last week didn't work correctly, so I have the original latch again....at least the window goes down 1/4" most of the time.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
How many!

I read that there were supposed to be 5500 in 03 but I don't think they did that, since I never saw any on the rode til 04. And in a magazine article they said the the numbers for 04 were 15,000 no mention of another year of SSR's after that, yet! I think that I knew more about the workings of the SSR than my dealer, who had sold 2 or 3 before mine and were slated to get only 5 more for confirmed for the year .They didn't get to pick the color and I got lucky that the next one (mine) was yellow. The other dealer said they had no clue if they would get anymore in anytime soon. Comments from the article were comparing the SSR to the Retro T-Bird and the sales were way off and trade in high after the first year. Well it was a Ford! what could you expect? I will keep my SSR Forever!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
And speaking of

And speaking of the Ford Thunderbird....it's back..!!!
Can you believe it? MSRP $37,950 - $43,995.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
t-bird

Yeah, I was going to say I thought it was ugly, but I didn't want to offend anyone.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The last 2003 was vin 3361 and the first 2004 was 3362. Not all of the 2003s will be sold and the Signature Series was an extra 25. The VINs will be continuous throughout the production run.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The chevy dealers in my city are telling me that this is the last year for the SSR. They gotta be kiddin...they said they got this from GM. Any truth to that out there? I find it hard to believe, especially after reading the book on the SSr and its future plans.

·
Registered
168 Posts
More years of SSR

I am not an insider, but I suspect the brass at GM are going to make decisions about the SSR's future as they see events play out. I doubt they would firmly commit to years of production after seeing the failure of the T-Bird retro and the flattening market for the PT Cruiser. This marketing strategy of bringing back a hint of the old seems to produce short term sales and then quickly die down. Is VW producing as many of the new Bugs this year as last? I'll bet GM is taking a wait-and-see attitude toward future SSRs. Other posts on this site indicate they are considering offering a bigger engine (400 HP?) and a six-speed, but I have to believe that is IF they continue the series. They would have to offer something more on future models to boost demand (like the turbo PT).

I suspect we will just have to wait and see. What does it all mean to owners? Our SSRs would have to maintain their value best if they were among few with demand high, but we would also find it harder to get parts and service (as has also been posted here). Meanwhile, I plan on enjoying my attention-getting toy to the fullest!

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
I am presently shopping for one. The other day I was at a local dealer and the salesman said to me that Chevy was only going to make 5000 a year, which is why they added their additional charge on top of MSRP. Does anyone know for a fact how many they plan to make?

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
The dealer was one that I have done business with in the past. I am pretty sure that I can get him down to at least MSRP, maybe less. I'm still doing some "homework" and haven't gotten down to the final wheelin and dealin. If the local guys can't come up with a price I want I will definitely look elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts