Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine died last friday. So; I'm in the market for something new.

I acutally use mine while it sits in my lap and, I'm looking for comments about units that run cooler, as well as being cool in the other sense of the word.

Been searching some:
At the moment my attention is focused on a Compaq x1000. 15.4" widescreen at 1920x1200 resolution. ~$2200. The rest of it's specs fit right into my sweet spot. If it wasn't housed in an ugly case I'd be all over it.

My idea of the other kind of cool is imbodied by a couple of Sony models, the Z1 and the upcoming x505.

So please provide me with some feed back on machines that you know run cool or are cool.

PS. Those cool pads that you put between your laptop and lap just arn't "cool".

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used apples including a Wallstreet running OS X. I like X. IMHO Apple's OS's have always been better, eaiser to maintain. But there's a couple of apps, I want, that arn't available in the mac world. Also despite the neat features found in the g4 and g5, there is just an underwhelming performance advantage.

Irrelevant: I'll really be glad when Moor's Law peaters out, and the software makers have to start cutting out the bloat to get better performance.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Moore's Law Summary (for those of you like me who didn't want to read the whole article):

The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Maybe, but ...

Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.[/QUOTE]

what if Murphy's law kicks in? :lol

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Optimist

An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised :)

(I like that Murphy was an optimist joke).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Optimist

looking4_an_ssr said:
An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised :)
What he said...

...because an optimist will always find something good. A pessimist will live life waiting for the next bad thing to happen.

Diggs, the eternal optimist.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
The water glass

zainossr said:
And your definition of a pessimist would be?
Speaking as a former (long ago and far away) Peace Corps volunteer - the optimist says the glass is half full, and the pessimist says it's half empty.

After almost two years in India in the '60's - you just wondered how many different bugs were in the water.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
What a thread !!!

Interesting thread - from laptops to Moore's Law, to Murphy's Law, to a dictionary reference on optimism and pessimism, to gastric conditions in India and then to Cat's humor quotient.

And you wonder why they call this category "Off-Topic" :lol :jester

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Completing the loop... well an iteration

I've been shopping since that post. I even went to the place I have a love/hate relationship Fry's on Mission Blvd.

Every where I went it seemed link HP/Compaq were the dominant consumers of display space. I so don't want any of those boat anchors.

I really want something with more screen resolution than xga and hardware graphics. At the same time I don't want one of those monster 15-17 inch displays.

I did see one of the Sony A models with a 17" 1900x1080? What a Monster. They had it playing movie trailers in full screen mode. Not good. Blurry motion. I suspect the hardware couldn't pump out the pixels fast enough. With the video sized to about 1/4 the display size, the motion was a lot sharper.

The search for a new Laptop goes on.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Finally! The winner is...

TA. DA. A Sony VGN-S150.

This one hit the sweet spot of what I was looking for, 13.3" wxga screen, runs cool enough, has WiFi built in & full sized/spaced keys. Price is reasonable considering the competition. Oh yeah, 4.2lbs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What's in the water????

houtex said:
After almost two years in India in the '60's - you just wondered how many different bugs were in the water.

Hell, after almost 3 decades in Central America :mad havin 2 drink whatever water we cud find... u look at it as ....it's jus xtra protein. :rolleyes:

:cool

1 - 19 of 19 Posts