Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched the gallery till i was bleary eyed.
thinking about doing black chrome rims
curiosity if anyone has a picture of a pac blue with black rims

thanks
bennyb

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,778 Posts
What I would suggest Benny, is to purchase a can of Rust-Oleum FlexiDip from Home Depot and try it on one of your rims and see if you like the look, if not peel it off (as stated on the can). This is a rubberized coating that is removable and is specifically made for rims (again, as stated on the can) A disclaimer here is I haven't personally tried it. Good luck.

Dave

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
balck chrome looks great on lots of colors. You can go really dark or just slightly tinted chrome and I think it would look great. I thought about this myself but chickened out.

Plasti dip won't look anything like black chrome but it is a cheap way to give you a general idea of what darker rims will look like.

Also you might try playing around on your computer and try to get a picture of your SSR and photo shop it or whatever. Sometimes the computer may have setting to alter the colors and such.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,917 Posts
If you have a good shop local that does powder coating, there is a powder coat that looks like black chrome. We have a guy in our local car club with a 55 Chevy that had his old Cragers done with that and they look amazing. And much less cost than chrome.

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
balck chrome looks great on lots of colors. You can go really dark or just slightly tinted chrome and I think it would look great. I thought about this myself but chickened out.

Plasti dip won't look anything like black chrome but it is a cheap way to give you a general idea of what darker rims will look like.

Also you might try playing around on your computer and try to get a picture of your SSR and photo shop it or whatever. Sometimes the computer may have setting to alter the colors and such.
hey Josh
old fart here and no computer skills
old school
asking if there is a photo out there:grin2:

benny b

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a good shop local that does powder coating, there is a powder coat that looks like black chrome. We have a guy in our local car club with a 55 Chevy that had his old Cragers done with that and they look amazing. And much less cost than chrome.
problem is Im in Miami
everybody says there good but most places around here are a ripoff, ive been asking and looking around
and i would hate to screw up a perfect set of spare rims for no reason

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I would suggest Benny, is to purchase a can of Rust-Oleum FlexiDip from Home Depot and try it on one of your rims and see if you like the look, if not peel it off (as stated on the can). This is a rubberized coating that is removable and is specifically made for rims (again, as stated on the can) A disclaimer here is I haven't personally tried it. Good luck.

Dave
hey Dave
i looked into it but there not deep enough in color, i would like a little shine but not gloss
just playing with the idea
and hoping a picture exists out there
thanks
bennyb

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,778 Posts
Benny, I just read that eBay is coming out with a new program called an "AR kit" that will allow someone shopping for new wheels to see their car with a variety of different wheels on them. They didn't say when so don't hold your breath.

Dave

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,386 Posts
GO FOR IT, Benny . . .

I pondered Body Color Matching Yellow Rims on The Doophus for at least a year or more and then one day just decided to either "Pee or get off the pot" and had it done.

My only complaint is waiting so long. I love 'em and just about every Lookie Lou out there makes a very positive comment about them.

Just in case . . . the OEM Chromes are carefully and safely lined up against the garage wall

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey Dave
i looked into it but there not deep enough in color, i would like a little shine but not gloss
just playing with the idea
and hoping a picture exists out there
thanks
bennyb
Dupli color has a black chrome spray can you can clean your chrome wheel with a good cleaner and spray on as many coats until you get it as dark as you want just a thought.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If you decide to Powder Coat make sure you get them to put some Clear on top of your color to protect it from UV rays. I always thought that Powder Coating would not fade but it will. I had some pieces done on one of my vehicles and the color faded out. Now it might be because it stayed outside all the time so take that as you may.. my 2 cents........

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,017 Posts
Several times on this forum some folks have changed colors using photo shop. Maybe they can help you with the picture so you get an Idea of how it will look before spending a ton of money. Don't ask my opinion because I am 74 years old and wheels "HAVE TO BE CHROME". No black out stuff for me. Harley is doing all that also. The young folks think black is the new chrome. Sorry not for me but do whatever turns your crank. Have a good one.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
In order to do that in photoshop you have to more advanced than the average bear. Blackout is easy, making look like black chrome is not.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
hey Josh
old fart here and no computer skills
old school
asking if there is a photo out there:grin2:

benny b
I'm not great with computers either but I bet you can type in a google search for black chrome rims. You'll find plenty of pictures.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Yes, but no rims like his and most of the pictures are at an angle rather than straight on. Plus there are multiple shades of black just to make it more difficult.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,356 Posts
Don't ask my opinion because I am 74 years old and wheels "HAVE TO BE CHROME". No black out stuff for me.. Sorry not for me but do whatever turns your crank. Have a good one.
:amen: I'll be 75 in June and :agree :agree :black: :purple:

Nick

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not great with computers either but I bet you can type in a google search for black chrome rims. You'll find plenty of pictures.
oh i know what it looks like
just hoping to find any picture of a Pac Blue with some type of black rim.
i know there anr't alot of them but thought someone might have switched it up from the chrome or satin

thanks for all the input and suggestions

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts
Here's a Photoshop version compared to original chrome. Let both pics load, then you can cycle between the two. Threw in an extra pic with color-matched rims.
Cheers, Carl

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts