2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anything would be appreciated
Thanks
CJ

·
Registered
831 Posts
I changed them in about 10 minutes and about half that time was waiting for my wife to come out to the garage and hold up the lid.

You need a very small screwdriver to pry the clip open and they just pop off, and the new ones pop back on. I had to take off both sides because I could not open the lid far enough to put just 1 new one on with the other side still connected.

And I love them!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,783 Posts
Removal:
Slide a very small flat bladed screwdriver under the little steel clip on the end and lift about 1/4" while gently pulling on the strut. The clip wraps around the little ball on the hinge to lock it in place.

Installation:
Push the strut on without lifting the clip. It will click in place immediately.

Caution #1:
It's best to have a second person holding the lid. (obvious, but necessary to say):nono

Caution #2:
If you are replacing the 375mm OEM struts with the 390mm LST struts, you will need to remove BOTH struts before installing the new ones. Also see "Caution #1"......:glol

Regards,

Mikey

·
SS Owner, Not SSR But SS
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks very much guys

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,188 Posts
Removal:
Slide a very small flat bladed screwdriver under the little steel clip on the end and lift about 1/4" while gently pulling on the strut. The clip wraps around the little ball on the hinge to lock it in place.

Installation:
Push the strut on without lifting the clip. It will click in place immediately.

Caution #1:
It's best to have a second person holding the lid. (obvious, but necessary to say):nono

Caution #2:
If you are replacing the 375mm OEM struts with the 390mm LST struts, you will need to remove BOTH struts before installing the new ones. Also see "Caution #1"......:glol

Regards,

Mikey
What he said!!

10 minutes at best.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
9,920 Posts
First time I installed a set without any help 30 minutes. But, the second time was 10 minutes at most. While under warranty the dealer did a set in the drive thru while I held the lid in less than 5 minutes. Brand new set did not work any better than the old. I then removed the brand new OEM set and replaced them with LST strut.

·
Registered
193 Posts
OK...help me out

What is the "LST" strut and how does it compare to the OEM strut ??

I'm not satisfied with the deck lift I have now.

Thanks
Jim :ssr

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,867 Posts
:eek:_75: you can use the screwdriver for the first clip. once you have the strut loose, you can just twist the other end off. (kinda like a chicken wing):glol the clip will stay put, and this method is LST approved....

·
SS Owner, Not SSR But SS
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
used a clothes hangar bar to prop top up
too me 9 min exactly from time i opened back end

thanks all for your help

·
Lost In The 50's
1,139 Posts
Piece Of Cake!!!

I installed a pair of Non-OEM (aftermarket) Deck Lid Cylinders in about 10 minutes.

I used the handle off my adjustable wash brush. Worked like a charm and I was able to do it by myself.

Lid flies up in full open position. It always popped up about an inch before installing the new parts.

Anyone can do it with new lift (strut) rods, prop rod and a small screw driver to release the clips that hold the rod on the mounting balls.

Take your time and read the instructions for any and all parts you install. Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself!!!

There is a lot of money thrown away to the GM Dealers when we can do many of the jobs ourselves.

The DIY section covers just about anything you want to do on your "R". If you don't see your problem there....ASK in a thread with the subject line stating your problem.

See ya on the boulevard.......Ron:seeya

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
CJ, Suggest you place your hand over the clip when prying on it. If the clip comes all the way off the clip could put an eye out as you have no way of knowing where it will go. Mine ricocheted off the opposite of the bed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts