Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking my first cross country cruise from KY to FL in October. As I'm just one gal in her SSR, I want to be prepared for whatever problems might arise - and I am concerned about being in small-town TN or GA and not being able to find a tire if I need one.

Can anyone advise me if:

Most Chevy dealers have the tires?

Any particular outlet chains (besides tirerack.com) seem to have a reliable stock of tires?

Also, has anyone had to call Chevy Roadside Assistance with a nonpatchable tire in the middle of nowhere - if so, how was the problem addressed?

Anything else besides the tire that might become an issue?

Thanks!!!!

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Sounds like your main concern is TIRES!

* - Get a tire plug kit (from Pep Boys, Autozone, etc) which are only about $10.00 to $15.00 for a quick on the side of the road fix.

* - Cell phone (I have not used the Chevy Roadside Assistance Program yet, but I know others on this forum have)

* - Windex or Glass wipes

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Ky......

Have used roadside service 4 times....three times for tires. Two of the three were for flats, once for a sidewall which required a new tire. Dealers do not carry these tires, not enough turnover. Roadside will tow you (flatbed) to the nearest dealer. Iv'e had patches in tires four times...as long as it's not sidewall. Twice I was able to drive to get it fixed before it went flat.

Where in Fl are you going?? What route will you be taking?

Some of us have spares, one 19" one 20" on rims for just that purpose. If it got to that, and its convenient, call me I'll loan you one if that will get the job done if it happens.

Buffy's B&B is in Georgia, don't forget the tip :glol :glol

P/P

P.S. You have the air pump and fix a flat can behind the drivers seat. Don't operate the pump for more than six minutes at a time. It gets quite warm.

Peace :flag

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
So far the advice is good. Buffy is right the plug kit is great and you can get almost any full service station to help with that, one.
Just went on a road trip and had my tool bag
gator ratchet (this is cool because it adjust to any size nut/bolt)

Tire air guage

Flash light

the plug kit, the wheel cover remover tool ( bike tire repair tool, buy it at a local Bike Store)

I used my Glass wizard cleaning tool uses water to clean the windows. works great

a plastic container with lid that you can carry all your car washing stuff in ( the bucket
works great as the water container , I actually bought this in the pet center in walmart

Small road map in case you get stuck in traffic

MP3 player with radio adaptor. or a stash of CD's

Jeff had a great idea, a cooler that plugs into the outlet in the truck bed.. keeps everything cold no ice needed.

Well thats all I can think of! Hope you have a great trip, Oh just thought of something
Phone #'s of members along your route if something happens maybe you will be close enough for their help.

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
You can pull up the list for the ones that went to the homecoming. If you can't, I can email you a list. Let us know where in Florida you are going and we can try and hook up.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
The Florida bunch is a great group of people. Be sure to let some of us know where you are heading and you will be well greeted. If you have any problems while you are here one of us should be close by to help out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Newbie from Florida

Just a newbie from florida........Guess I have to learn to crawl before i can walk ;) The site is great and so are the people....Hope to be able to contribute to the fun, soon

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Where you located Whitewolf??

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:D I am always overwhelmed by the friendliness of people on this site - and I would love to meet folks if the timing works out.

I will be driving Louisville to Ocala/Silver Springs (overnight somewhere in between), stay with friends there for a day or two, then drive onward to Naples for a visit with other friends. The long haul will be back from Naples to Louisville - I expect to make two overnight stops on the way back, not sure where. Depart Louisville October 16, return by 24th/25th.

I've never had a car I would trust enough to take by myself on a multi-state drive so this is a real adventure for me. Plan is to take time to smell the roses, or the county fairs, or whatever local attractions I pass and decompress from work.

Thanks for the tips - as always, you are a big help.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
KY ultraviolet,

Feel free to stop at "Buffy's Bed & Breakfast" (just north of Atlanta on I-75) on your way back. (It's not really a business, it's just we've have quite a few SSR owners stop and spend the night.) The wife and I would love you to get a good night's rest here.

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you directions.

Hope we get to see you..............

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Hi KY,

Not sure if you are going to make it over to the Western tip of North Carolina (Maggie Valley, NC) but I actually do own a motel here. So long as you can come through the week I can give a really good single rate for a fellow SSR owner. That goes for all other members also.

Gina

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
If you make it over to Daytona, you can stay here and visit. Would than be able to meet up with dingbat, dittonzssr, and a few others.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, now the focus of the trip has changed - I have a mission! See as many SSR Fanatics as I can along the way, a quick interview with each with my DVD camcorder, then send everyone I've met a copy of the finished video - should be fun for those who have not met 'face to face' yet, and a nice way to show off rides.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Hi KY :)

If you find yourself close to Fort Lauderdale Give me a Call or maybe we could take a drive to naples since we are only 50 minutes east from there on aligator alley :)

You cant go wrong with any of us Floridian SSR'ers!!! great bunch of people :)

Look out for that Buffy guy though.... :D

Have a great drive!

Chris

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
KY ultraviolet said:
Ok, now the focus of the trip has changed - I have a mission! See as many SSR Fanatics as I can along the way, a quick interview with each with my DVD camcorder, then send everyone I've met a copy of the finished video - should be fun for those who have not met 'face to face' yet, and a nice way to show off rides.

That sounds like a great trip. (After I win the lottery I'm going to visit every SSRFanatic :cheers )

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
ChrisXXL said:
Hi KY :)

If you find yourself close to Fort Lauderdale Give me a Call or maybe we could take a drive to naples since we are only 50 minutes east from there on aligator alley :)

You cant go wrong with any of us Floridian SSR'ers!!! great bunch of people :)

Look out for that Buffy guy though.... :D

Have a great drive!

Chris
:agree You don't want to miss your chance to meet them!! :party

1 - 19 of 19 Posts