Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading @Gerrys recent thread regarding a scanner and thinking of others asking the same questions, I decided to look around and I found something that seems too good to be true.
Yes its over $150 but why spend a $100 and not be able to diagnosis a Window, roof or other problem that may be associated with the BCM, RDM or another module you wouldn't have access to? Or not have the ability to perform other special functions when necessary.
I realize that some of these abilities may be greater than your own ability but, you can't learn if you don't have access to the tools necessary for learning.

Amazon.com: FOXWELL NT510 Elite Obd2 Car Code Reader Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool All Function Scanner for Buick/Chevrolet/Cadillac/GMC Reset with EPB SAS ABS OIL EPB[New Version]: Automotive

I went straight to the foxwell website to see if I could find out some of the limitations of this scanner.
I have posted some screen shots to show what I found
#1 Shows the headings so you realize what is in the other columns
#2 Paged down to 06 SSR - note what it does (numbers in last column are special functions)
#3 Paged down to 04 SSR
#4 Special functions screen shot (the two left off this screen are mentioned below)
(I only showed the two models years because 05 would be same as 06 and 03 the same as 04)

Some of the good & the CLAIMS(?) of this tool
It seems this will communicate with all of the modules you would need and provide inputs and some output controls.
It will communicate with the RDM so you can see if the micro switches are stuck of if one of the wires are chafed.
It will perform an automated brake bleed
It even shows it will program key fobs and calibrate tire sizes (S065).
Evap self test (S205)
Although its says some things with radio it will not reprogram a radio to work with a different car.

Some of the bad
Price only includes GM vehicles - additional manufactures cost additional $$$, I read somewhere $60 per.
Some negative reviews - on different provider (foxwell) website. Most were due to the scanner being shipped with no software and having problems uploading the manufacturer from the computer. Though amazon it is a third party distributor and it comes loaded with the one manufacturer software. ( I found an answer in the reviews)
Updates that are now free -- can only be down loaded using windows -- does not work MAC based iOS. This would include purchasing additional manufactures software to upload
Some older complaints about durability, I believe are for the older version - not the elite

Let me know if anybody has tried this or other scanners from FOXWELL
Althoug I have access to a number of good scan tools including a "real" Tech 2. Based on this response I am considering purchasing this from Amazon to test. Then if all goes well I will have it at Maggie valley for some demonstrations if requested.
I figure if I buy from amazon returns won't be as cumbersome as possibly another site.

Let me know your thoughts
GOOD or BAD !!!

GOOD or BAD
Foxwelll heading.png
Foxwell 06.png
Foxwell 04.png
Foxwell special functions.png

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,984 Posts
If you think it's a good substitute for the $$$$ Tech 2, that would be good/helpful. And----if you like it, maybe, @Dinerman, or/and some of the other group leaders could get a volunteer smart enough to use it, then get donations to buy one for the group?!?!? Oh--and I'm not smart enough to use it.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you think it's a good substitute for the $$$$ Tech 2, that would be good/helpful. And----if you like it, maybe, @Dinerman, or/and some of the other group leaders could get a volunteer smart enough to use it, then get donations to buy one for the group?!?!? Oh--and I'm not smart enough to use it.

Nick
Nick,
Bullsh**, you are too smart enough.
If you can use this new format website you can use the scanner.
You may choose not too and that is ok.

Your knowledge of what everything means and what is does and how to see whats not doing what it should will only improve with use.

You learn to walk by trying, sure you fell down. But you didn't learn by having someone carry you either.

How did you learn the meaning of hot?
Sure your mom said "Don't touch that its hot"

But how did you really learn??

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
Seems like a perfect opportunity for Robert Baller (@shiftz33) to obtain one from the manufacturer for an online review.
I just sent an email request to the Foxwell sales team asking if they might consider providing my company a NT510 unit so I could compare it with the Autel MaxiSys MS906 scan tool that I have and use on my SSR. The MS906 has the same (if not a bit more) integration with the various SSR subsystems, but the price point of the MS906 is in the $1100 to $1200 range.

I'll let you know if/when they respond to my request for a test unit to review.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,618 Posts
Autoprof:

If the user manual of this unit is available online, reviewing the instructions for performing the more involved functions related to diagnosing roofs, doors, windows and brakes might also provide insight into its capabilities compared to a Tech 2.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Autoprof:

If the user manual of this unit is available online, reviewing the instructions for performing the more involved functions related to diagnosing roofs, doors, windows and brakes might also provide insight into its capabilities compared to a Tech 2.
Unfortunately the user manual is written as a generic version of how to operate the scanner - not specific to GM (75 pages) operation.
I did notice on page 10 I believe, that even though you purchase a GM software to perform advanced functions, you could still perform Basic OBDII functions on most any OBDII car. SO basically it is also an generic OBDii level scanner.

http://www.foxwelltool.com/upload/pro/nt510-multi-system-scanner-manual_en_v1.00.pdf

GM function list (655 pages)

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
I've received no response from the Foxwell sales team to my inquiry to receive a test unit for review. Doing some research tonight I found that the NT510 unit is out of production. The NT520 replaced the NT510 but it only supports vehicles up to the 2017 model year. The "latest" unit is the NT530 which supports two additional model years of 2018/2019.

I'm about to sell one of my vehicles, so after that takes place I may have some funds to purchase the NT530 for review purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've received no response from the Foxwell sales team to my inquiry to receive a test unit for review. Doing some research tonight I found that the NT510 unit is out of production. The NT520 replaced the NT510 but it only supports vehicles up to the 2017 model year. The "latest" unit is the NT530 which supports two additional model years of 2018/2019.

I'm about to sell one of my vehicles, so after that takes place I may have some funds to purchase the NT530 for review purposes.
Thank you for the update and the heads up!

I too found out the 510 was out of production but I saw it was replaced with the 510 Elite
Still for sale on Amazon

The NT 530 seems very similar with functions and price

The of functions for the 06 SSR can be found here scroll down to line 106626 to find the beginning of SSR

I plan to purchase one soon. I will have to do a little more research later - class starts soon so I have to get off this site.
Whichever one i choose, I will not be able to try on my SSR very much. It is in storage and they don't allow battery chargers and I cant let it run very long.
I will use it on some GMs at school and I will do a little bit on the SSR when I get a chance (communicate with the RDM and try to control windows-roof)

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
I tried a different website/email address for Foxwell sales department and this time I received a response from Foxwell.

It looks like we've negotiated a deal to let me get a NT530 for a reduced price directly from the manufacturer. They stated it won't ship until 1-Feb-2020 due to a Chinese Spring Festival taking place right now which causes a delay in the shipping of the device. Depending on how my YouTube video viewership goes for that video, I might be able to get other Foxwell diag tools at similar or better pricing.

With regard to the NT510 Elite vs NT530, the NT510 Elite is the model their e-commerce distributors sell while the NT530 is the same basic unit sold by their other distributors / Foxwell.

So, it looks like I won't have a unit to test/review until early February 2020.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,181 Posts
Make sure you let us know when your video goes live so we can make sure you get the timely viewing necessary!

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,718 Posts
It sounds like you want to lead a Tech session on the Foxwell Scanner or other scanners in Maggie!?
Would a free T-shirt help make up your mind??

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I will be watching to see if this scanner works for us. If it does I will purchase one for the Picayune,Mississippi Chapter. I am the President and unfortunely the only member of this chapter. However maybe I can charge $1.99 for each SSR that I work on.

Jack

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
It sounds like you want to lead a Tech session on the Foxwell Scanner or other scanners in Maggie!?
Would a free T-shirt help make up your mind??
I'm not sure if this was meant for me or Autoprof. I'd love to attend Maggie Valley, but due to a limited travel budget for my company, I'll be limited to Northern/Central California in 2020. I'm hoping that any video(s) I make for my YouTube channel will be detailed enough to give a good overview of the Foxwell scan tool usage with the SSR.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
I received an email from the manufacturer of the Foxwell scan tool. My unit was to have shipped on 1-Feb-2020, but due to the current Coronavirus situation in China, Foxwell has decided to extend their spring festival time off until 10-Feb-2020.

This means it will be a couple more weeks before I get my NT530 scan tool to test out with my SSR.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
The Foxwell NT530 scan tool has finally shipped! I should receive it on 3/5/2020. I'll start checking it out with my 2004 SSR over the next week or so.

It looks like @Autoprof recently received his Foxwell scan tool as well.

I'll see what subsystems the Foxwell scan tool will interact with on the SSR (read/clear codes/freeze frame data) and what subsystem live data it will display along with what "special functions" it has available for the various subsystems (these are what you can use to control/test components of the various subsystems).

My Autel MaxiSys MS906 has somewhat decent support (not as good as a Tech2) but the cost of the MS906 is in the $1K USD range. It will be interesting to see what a scan tool that is loaded with GM specific software will be able to do for about $180 USD.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@shiftz33 i sent a conversation regarding some things i found on initial testing on a 98 C1500 and an 08 Impala. Both GM one with and one without CAN. There are some things that are different but overall first impression is very encouraging. Again as mentioned in my other post, i will post some screenshots from my SSR. I happen to have a 3rd key fob that needs programming. If it doesn't work, and i lose current fob programs, no worries i have acces to Tech 2.
More to follow.

Maybe we should start a new thread.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts