Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
During my initial testing of the Foxwell NT530 scanner on my SSR, it was found the scanner had problems getting any of the active tests to work with the RDM (along with other subsystems).

I believe @Autoprof had similar results with his NT510.

I reported the problems to Foxwell and after a bit of "information exchange" via emails, they acknowledged the problem and stated they're working on a fix. The current estimate for the release of the updated software is late April or early May.

I'll let you know when I get the updates and how they work.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@shiftz33
Thank you for the update. I have had very little opportunity to explore the one i have as i try to convert parts of my classes to online format.

During you next communication with them, to try and address the slow update of some inputs as i mentioned in my last conversation with you. Some scanners allow you to select a vustom display so that the scanner does not have to update as much data and can then update select data quicker. Maybe it can already be acomplished, i haven't found the time to try that since i thought of it.

I should have you fo some videos for me since you do such a great job. ?

Thanks for your work

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
I've received a few emails from Foxwell over the past couple of weeks about updates being released for the Foxwell NT530 scan tool. I've been busy working on my other project (2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV), so I didn't have time to update my NT530 scan tool until last night. Not good......

The "SmartVIN" (reads VIN from vehicle and identifies the vehicle the best it can) feature now seems to work, so there's one thing going for the update.

Then the problems started. When I had it scan all of the subsystems in the SSR, the first one being "Powertrain" it claims to have found 106 DTCs present. There are not 106 DTCs present for my 2004 SSR!

I scanned my SSR with my Autel MaxiSys MS906, Autel MaxiCheck Pro, Innova 3160e (generic OBD, ABS, SRS and Chevrolet enhanced DTC check) and no DTCs were found.

I've reported the problem to Foxwell. They're looking into the issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have been meaning to contact them also. I found that my PCM data2 page displays "No communication". All data displays without a problem with Tech 2.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
They still need to fix smme issues before i would give thumbs up. Better than a code reader but not a full function scanner yet until maybe after some more updates.

My opinion so far. I think shitfz33 has explored more and communcated with Company.

@shiftz33 the 106 codes are not reported problems, its a list of possible codes. It is displaying what gm terms code information. If code has run this ignition cycle. If passes or fails since codes vleared. The need to be in a seperate window .

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
@shiftz33 the 106 codes are not reported problems, its a list of possible codes. It is displaying what gm terms code information. If code has run this ignition cycle. If passes or fails since codes vleared. The need to be in a seperate window .
Before I updated the NT530 Foxwell scanner with a code update, it showed zero DTCs/faults. After the code update on the Foxwell NT530 scanner, it showed 106 DTCs/faults (in red color noting active or stored faults). The DTCs/faults listing page didn't show them in an ascending list of possible DTCs, but a somewhat random DTC ordering. Almost like a list of DTCs that had occurred at some point in the ECM's life, but not recently. It also showed two DTCs/faults for the "Remote function actuation" entry as well. Foxwell was checking into the issue, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll send them another email asking for an update.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
Foxwell gave me some update files to test on the Foxwell NT530 scanner.

The powertrain faults (DTCs) have increased from 106 to 108 (no other scanner shows any DTCs). There are two DTCs in the "Remote function actuation" subsystem (which it claimed it had two before as well) and all other subsystems had zero DTCs/faults.

I tested the "Roof and door module" active test for the "Passenger window" which should allow you to command the window to be rolled down or up. It still only partially moves the window but instead of about 1/2 inch it moves it about 1 to 1 1/2 inches when you command the window down/up. When I use Tech2Win (software version of a Tech 2), the window rolls down fully and up fully with each request. FYI, there are times that Tech2Win does only move the window slightly as well, but 95% of the time it moves it fully up or down. The Foxwell NT530 will disable the Up or Down button after that request believing the window is fully Up or Down, so you cannot press it again to make it go any further. In Tech2Win, you can press the Up or Down buttons as many times as you would like to press it. In Tech2Win, most of the time the window will have been moved to its fully Up or Down position with your first Up or Down button press.

I've reported my findings back to Foxwell and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,181 Posts

·
Tech Support/Research
1,618 Posts
Tech2Win is the GM software program that allows one to emulate the functions of a Tech2Scanner on a Windows PC. I have seen legitimate versions available by subscription only and would be wary of any that are offered as permanent installations at low or no cost.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,583 Posts
@shiftz33, what is this Tec2Win where do you get it and how much?

Is it the same as a Tec2 for our cars?

Thanks
As I read Post #30 I think Tech2Win is a setting on the Foxwell device.
Tech2Win is an emulation of the Tech 2 scan tool that runs on a Windows PC. Tech2Win does work/support the Chevy SSR. Tech2Win is software available from acdelcotds.com (and GM) for a subscription fee (as outlined in the included picture).

Tech2Win (and other offerings from ACDelco TDS/GM) uses a GM MDI (Multi Diagnostic Interface), GM MDI 2 or other compatible J2534 automotive programming device to access the car via the OBD-II port. "GDS 2" is diagnostic software for later model GM vehicle. The Tech 2 (and Tech2Win as well) only works with vehicles up to 2013 (as the model year gets closer to 2013 the support for specific car models in Tech2Win falls off as it becomes supported in the GDS 2 software). GDS 2 software tends work with all of the "recent" vehicles from GM.

You can also use another offering from ACDelco TDS/GM called SPS (Service Programming System) which allows you to use one of the access tools mentioned above to update the software calibration files for the various subsystem in your vehicle. It costs $40 for 24-month subscription that gives you access to updates for those calibration files. The average car owner would not necessarily be the target audience for the SPS offering, but as I've found with my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV project car, it can be very helpful in updating some on the car's configuration settings (there's a video on my YouTube channel that shows the steps necessary to update the body control module on my Caprice PPV to activate some features to make the car more like a regular passenger car).

There are "tools - J2534 tools" out there that claim to ship with "GDS 2" and "Tech2Win" but they are hacked versions of the software and they are not always that reliable and of course there are the legal issues about that software not being properly obtained via a valid license/subscription.

I hope that helps explain it a bit better.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,181 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts