Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done their own oil change and do you have anything to watch out for? ie: on my Corvette you have to have the rear of the car higher than the front to get all the oil out. Thanks

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Ditto :agree

Remember, 6 quarts......

RickSSR :cool

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
:agree

If you let the dealer do it, make sure you watch. First time and LAST time they did mine, they had to drain the oil because they did not use Mobil 1.

Be careful!

bcbear

·
Registered
615 Posts
Always, why give some lesser being a chance to screw it up. Plus, why be raped by the dealership on six quarts of oil and filter.
The above is not meant for every GM service manager, mechanic, etc., but always for the lame, lazy, etc. in my town.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oil change

I drained out the breakin oil at 1000 k and changed up to Royal Purple 5w30.Although I believe that Amsoil is a superior to al other synthetics, Ichose the Royal Purple mainly because of availiability and the fact that is is a superior alternate for Mobile 1, and its' really purple!

·
Registered
416 Posts
bcbear10 said:
:agree

If you let the dealer do it, make sure you watch. First time and LAST time they did mine, they had to drain the oil because they did not use Mobil 1.

Be careful!

bcbear
This is my greatest concern. How did you know? (There're no windows from the waiting room into the service bays at my dealership -- probably for good reason -- and I usually do the drop-off/pick-up thing, anyway)

·
Registered
192 Posts
53wanab said:
I drained out the breakin oil at 1000 k and changed up to Royal Purple 5w30.Although I believe that Amsoil is a superior to al other synthetics, Ichose the Royal Purple mainly because of availiability and the fact that is is a superior alternate for Mobile 1, and its' really purple!
Hey, thanks for the positive mention. For those that aren't aware, AMSOIL sales via my dealership benefit the forum. :cheers

Request a Free AMSOIL Catalog
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

·
Registered
98 Posts
To reset oil life on the SSR you select the oil life % on the sterring wheel and hold down the arrow button (reset) for several seconds until it appears 100% again.

I have always changed my own oil. I mean always -since high school. The SSR, albeit tight and requires a floor jack to get underneath, is easy and not messy since they put a little "ramp" under the filter (at least its this way on the LS2) to allow the oil from the filter to go one direction. I, as I do will all of my cars, change the oil the first 1000-1500 or so miles, again at around 3000-3500 and finally about 6000 before I begin the "normal" interval which is now about 6000 miles + between filters and drains (when oil life says to change).

Mobile 1. 10W-30. AC filter.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
you know I tried to change my oil setting this way kk7ac but it didn't work. I did it the way my Tahoe books says and it worked. !

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
wildcat66 said:
you know I tried to change my oil setting this way kk7ac but it didn't work. I did it the way my Tahoe books says and it worked. !

You just forgot to say "please" :jester

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Hot Wheels said:
Has anyone done their own oil change and do you have anything to watch out for? ie: on my Corvette you have to have the rear of the car higher than the front to get all the oil out. Thanks
Not Buffy....

·
Registered
416 Posts
I changed the SSR's oil for the first time this weekend, at 6615 miles with ~ 50% oil life remaining indicated on the DIC.

Thanks for the tip on the K&N oil filter (HP-1007). I was surprised how small the filter is for this engine (regardless of filter brand).

I certainly prefer engines on which the filter screws into the side of the block, rather than into the bottom as on the SSR (hot oil spilling down on your hands is not fun).

I went to buy Mobil 1 and discovered Mobil 1 Extended Performance; for the extra dollar or so per quart, I went ahead and bought it. Waste of money?

The only other tip I haven't seen here so far is the size of the oil plan plug hex head: 13mm (on my '05, anyway).

·
Registered
24 Posts
DIY SSR Oil Change

I have been searching in vain for step-by-step instructions on how to change the oil in my SSR. If it is already posted, please point me in the right direction. Photos would be great too. I am not mechanically inclined and have never changed oil before, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
893 Posts
6 qts.......

Royalshowing said:
Always, why give some lesser being a chance to screw it up. Plus, why be raped by the dealership on six quarts of oil and filter.
The above is not meant for every GM service manager, mechanic, etc., but always for the lame, lazy, etc. in my town.

Hummmmmmmmmm my dealer says he put in 7....with the filter??????on my o5:rolleyes: ........Ya suppose he was trying to make a little extra money and at $8.37 a qt.........

·
Registered
98 Posts
to much of a good thing

Whitewolf said:
Hummmmmmmmmm my dealer says he put in 7....with the filter??????on my o5:rolleyes: ........Ya suppose he was trying to make a little extra money and at $8.37 a qt.........

Uaa, ya, 7 quarts is one quart to much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts