Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, I just love having somewhere to ask dumb questions!

I've got a slow leak in a tire. Back a long time ago, when I used to drive used cars, I remember having better luck with fix-it flat then letting some minimum wage tire guy tear the tire off and try to remount it.

But does the Fixit flat have any side effects I don't know about?

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,149 Posts
dougnc said:
Boy, I just love having somewhere to ask dumb questions!

I've got a slow leak in a tire. Back a long time ago, when I used to drive used cars, I remember having better luck with fix-it flat then letting some minimum wage tire guy tear the tire off and try to remount it.

But does the Fixit flat have any side effects I don't know about?
Long term usage may cause user to ask dumb questions :glol :glol

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dingbat said:
Well, this is like one of those anonymous internet sex sites that a, um, friend told me about.

No one knows who I am here. Whereas in real life I'm a mechanical genius, here I can let the inner dumb blonde me out!

:lol

K

·
0 Posts
No real side effects that I know of, however it is designed to be a temporary fix and will not hold up long term. Especially when you start having large temperature variations. :reddevil :reddevil :reddevil

·
Registered
134 Posts
You might have a problem with tire balance, plus it makes a huge mess when you dismount the tire, but hey that's what GM gave us in the tire repair kit that comes with the truck, so it's up to you. I personally try and stay away from the stuff unless it's an absolute emergency.

JMHO

Ron

·
Registered
166 Posts
fix a flat vs gm stuff

the stuff behind your seat in the black box will PEAL OUTTA THE TIRE WHEN ITS IN FOR PROPER REPAIR VS fIX A FLAT WHICH IS HIGHLY COMBUSTINABLE AND MAJES A f N MESS INSIDE YOUR TIRE gOOD lUCK cAMEL REPAIR PLUGS FOR RADIALS ARE BEST PULL OUT THE OBJECT CLEAN OUT HOLE WITH FILE TOOL INSERT STRIP AND FILL WITH AIR USED EM ON MY MOTORCYCLE,TIRES AND ANYOTHER VEHICLE iVE HAD TO PLUG TO GET ON DOWN THE ROAD TO DATE IVE NEVER HAD A FAILURE ON A PLUG IVE INSTALLED GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
193 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
the stuff behind your seat in the black box will PEAL OUTTA THE TIRE WHEN ITS IN FOR PROPER REPAIR VS fIX A FLAT WHICH IS HIGHLY COMBUSTINABLE AND MAJES A f N MESS INSIDE YOUR TIRE gOOD lUCK cAMEL REPAIR PLUGS FOR RADIALS ARE BEST PULL OUT THE OBJECT CLEAN OUT HOLE WITH FILE TOOL INSERT STRIP AND FILL WITH AIR USED EM ON MY MOTORCYCLE,TIRES AND ANYOTHER VEHICLE iVE HAD TO PLUG TO GET ON DOWN THE ROAD TO DATE IVE NEVER HAD A FAILURE ON A PLUG IVE INSTALLED GOOD LUCK
:confused :confused :confused
What the heck did he say ???? :willy:
:skep

·
Registered
76 Posts
He said:
Jetcop20 said:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jetcop20 said:
But I won't be doing it myself. I'll have to drop the SSR off at a tire place, and get a rental car so I can get back to work. Meanwhile some minimum wage tire guy is going to be hotroding my SSR around the city before he starts tearing at the tire with various pointed metal tire tools. After a liquid lunch, and a couple joints to come down from the alcohol, he'll plunge a hole pretty much randomly in the tire, and then stick a plug thru it so there's a big piece of rubber sticking out of my tire. Him and an inbred family member will then start poking and prying at my tire, trying to get it on the rim. Of course, it's not going to seal correctly, so as I'm driving home and hit fifth gear going over that bridge where the traffic always gets light, the tire is going to explode, flinging me screaming in my SSR over the bridge wall into the river, where I'll die gasping as the polluted water eats away my flesh and lungs.

So, well, I kind of thought buying a can of fix-it flat at the grocery store tonight would be a bit easier. :)

But I guess I better scrap that plan, heh?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Doug, Doug, Doug......It isn't all that hard to plug a tire....Just go to Walmart and by a plug kit (it contains all you need to plug a tire) and fix it yourself. I feel like you do about leaving it anywhere, so when I picked up a roofing nail in Florida last November, the first thing I did was hit Walmart. It was fixed in 5 minutes!

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,149 Posts
Might be the valve leaking and not the tire. Quickest way to check is take the valve cap off (had to add that because I know someone wouldn't do it) and put some spit on your finger and hold it lightly over the end of the valve stem. If you see bubbles its the valve leaking

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Thanks Dingbat.....

dingbat said:
So, that's what happened to dougnc..... Now I get it!!!! :lol

V

·
0 Posts
Fix a flat

Can you get a prescription for Tire-agra (Tyre-agra for Brits). I think Bob Dole is the spokesman.

·
Registered
216 Posts
From what I understand, Fix a flat is corrosive to metal..i.e. your rim. Every tire shop I have ever asked said DO NOT use it. It is for the junkyard tire salvagers, not our babies.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Except for being a nice shade of bright green.

Slime tends to puddle in the tire. You'll feel it till the turning tire redistributes it evenly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts