Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm entertaining the idea of hauling my V-Rod in the bed of my SSR to Vegas in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone has done this yet?
Taking the taunoe cover off may be a hastle, and loading the bike in the bed is pretty easy, but.... the rear tire will hang over the tailgate.
My idea is to put a metal ramp under the bike to stabilize it over the tailgate, then tie it down to the rails. I've even thought of welding a cross bar to the ramp with eye hooks to tie the handlebars to them even making it a stronger tie down!
What do you think? Anyone do this yet?
The thought of hauling a trailer back and forth is a drag! Especially with the air conditioning fan problems everyone (and myself) have had!

GR

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
I towed a car from 'the OC' to Portland and back. 100 deg F plus temps all the way AC on all the way - 2000 miles. You V-rod and trailer will weigh less - should be no prob.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hauling a Bike

Well Ghostrider i have been riding all my life and ya i have carried them in my trucks only for break downs as iam a firm beleaver in ride it or leave it ha ha.But anyway i don't think its a good idea as for my exp when you put the bike in you have to make it flush with the back panel well sooner or later the bike pushes like a tire seam in the middle of panel kinda of like a bow in the middle so ya i don't think you should could damage your truck bed.So if you have to ya trailer it.Just my past exp.Doug. :seeya

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug Adkins said:
Well Ghostrider i have been riding all my life and ya i have carried them in my trucks only for break downs as iam a firm beleaver in ride it or leave it ha ha.But anyway i don't think its a good idea as for my exp when you put the bike in you have to make it flush with the back panel well sooner or later the bike pushes like a tire seam in the middle of panel kinda of like a bow in the middle so ya i don't think you should could damage your truck bed.So if you have to ya trailer it.Just my past exp.Doug. :seeya
Thanks Doug,
It's a show bike that I'm taking and the last minute motor replacement has me a little worried about braking down on the way, besides staying 6 days, I need to take a lot of stuff with me and I need the truck to do so!
Your right about the bending of the bed, I forgot about that!
I have access to a trailer but have to go pick it up in LA and no place to put it, short on time etc.
Thanks!

GR

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
Ghostrider said:
I have access to a trailer but have to go pick it up in LA and no place to put it.
Ghostrider, if you need a place to store the trailer while you're in LV, you're welcome to use my driveway for a few days.

Blast

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BlastfromPast said:
Ghostrider, if you need a place to store the trailer while you're in LV, you're welcome to use my driveway for a few days.

Blast
Thanks! I'm staying at a friends house, but when I get back I have to leave it in my drive way for 4 days until I'm off again to return it to my freinds in LA! What a hastle taking it off and on so many times!

GR

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That is why I have my little trailer... All aluminum and towes perfect! Can haul a 9' loing chopper on it also..

Sorry for the ugly bike..It was apart and on it's way to getting hte turbo installed...

Here it is finished...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been looking to get a new truck for a few months now, and i stumbled across the SSR. The only thing that would keep me from getting one is if i could fit a dirtbike in the bed, after i take off the tonneau of course. Can the tailgate hold weight? It doesn't look very sturdy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
:ssr I don't think it would be that much of a problem. I used to haul my Springer and later on my Heritage Nostalgia in my El Camino. I did put a crease in the front where my front tire was tied down but you could block that off easily enough. I'm riding up to Laughlin for Bike Week , that where you're going?:cheers

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Jim G`s book warns against sitting on the tailgate. If the bike is a dirtbike it shouldn`t be a problem, but that warning should be taken into account for anything heavier. GR, I thing I would rent a small U Haul for that trip........Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea my bike weighs roughly 196lbs, plus my gear bag and gas tank. That shouldn't be a problem right? Well now i'm stuck because all of the SSR's i've seen are just barely out of my price range.. maybe i can find one with higher mileage. I'm going to photoshop what i want it to look like. On another note, how long is the bed from the front to the end of the tailgate? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Yea my bike weighs roughly 196lbs, plus my gear bag and gas tank. That shouldn't be a problem right? Well now i'm stuck because all of the SSR's i've seen are just barely out of my price range.. maybe i can find one with higher mileage. I'm going to photoshop what i want it to look like. On another note, how long is the bed from the front to the end of the tailgate? Does anyone know?
Post from Jim G:

Lenght of usable bed with tailgate closed: 51 inches
Minimum width of usable bed between inner walls: 42.25 inches
Minimum hieght (it varies): 16.25 inches

Other:
Cargo area dimensions: front width (inches): 46.8 and width between arches (inches): 42

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I would not haul anything heavier than a VERY light dirt bike in the SSR cargo bay.

There are several issues:

- The bed is only 52 inches long, and then you are onto tailgate. Very few bikes will get both tires into 52 inches.

- Even half the weight of a bike (optimistically assuming 50/50 front / rear weight distribution) puts 100 to 350 pounds of bike WAY behind the rear axle of the SSR, on the tailgate. This is going to create weight distribution problems for the SSR itself, and will singificantly impair emergency handling (that extra weight out back will be like a pendulum, making the back end fo the SSR very easy to spin out)

- While the tailgate may take 100 to 350 pounds of bike weight STATICALLY, I doubt it could take it DYNAMICALLY. A good bump or two and you could snap the cables, snap the tailgate hinges, or at least dent the inside of the tailgate pretty significantly.

- The bike's center of gravity being so high is going to raise the center of gravity of the SSR a LOT, again making the handling pretty squirrley.

- You are very likely to damage the tailgate and / or cargo bay just loading or unloading the bike

- There are no good tiedown points

- There is no practical way of securing a front wheel mount into the SSR bed without permanently disfiguring it

All these problems are nicely avoided by using a small, low trailer to haul the bike instead. That is in fact what I do! (there is a photo in my book).

Jim G

·
Registered
6 Posts
With some custom modifications to the tailgate i bet it wouldn't be a problem for all of those. I have a lifted Tacoma right now, and getting a bike in and out of the back is a big pain. I bet you could custom make some tailgate hinges, and keep the bike on a ramp to even the weight out all across the bed. OR what would be a great idea for a custom bike carrier would be to bolt/weld in a contraption that acts as a ramp with tie down loops attached. THEN you could slide the ramp with the bike up into the bed together. I doubt anyone on this website rides motocross, but i could only imagine how awesome it would be to pull up to the track with your top down in a custom SSR bike cruiser.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
kwhopper: The actual restrictions on those hitch mounted motrocycle carriers are VERY severe if you read the fine print.

Only a very light dirt bike can actually be carried on those, and even then they STILL affect handling, ride, and headlight alignment very significantly.

I looked at them very seriously before getting my lightweight aluminum Triton trailer, and rejected them after seeing and understanding the actual restrictions.

Jim G

·
Registered
22 Posts
The last year I raced MX was 03. By the weight of the bike you listed I figure that you are running a 125. If I was using a SSR for going to the races, I would use a small enclosed trailer painted to match.

With all the dust, dirt or mud at the track the SSR wouldn't be my choice to have sitting in the pits unless you don't mind the mess in and out. My F250 4x4 was always full of mud or dust (cab & bed) and not to mention the gas and oil and gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts