Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the "low end" shifting of the 2005 automatics? My truck, from a standing start, rolls only about 6 feet and shifts from 1st to 2nd @1500 rpm. I know the Predator can change the "high end" shifts, but what about the "low end"? Further, the shift from 2nd to 3rd also occurs at 1500 rpm and speedo is at only 45 mph. From there to higher speeds the poor engine is lugging a terrible load and unless I go to the carpet with the accelerator pedal, response is poor to non-existent. I am considering a change of the ring and pinion, (from stock to 4.11:1)will this aggravate an already bad situation, or help it? Does anyone know? Thanks.:willy: :confused

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Yaller Dog said:
with the "low end" shifting of the 2005 automatics? My truck, from a standing start, rolls only about 6 feet and shifts from 1st to 2nd @1500 rpm. I know the Predator can change the "high end" shifts, but what about the "low end"? Further, the shift from 2nd to 3rd also occurs at 1500 rpm and speedo is at only 45 mph. From there to higher speeds the poor engine is lugging a terrible load and unless I go to the carpet with the accelerator pedal, response is poor to non-existent. I am considering a change of the ring and pinion, (from stock to 4.11:1)will this aggravate an already bad situation, or help it? Does anyone know? Thanks.:willy: :confused
Y D,
Are you idling as you travel the 1st 6ft? That just doesn't sound right.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
The gear change will not change the shift points at part throttle. The only way I know of is to use professional tuner software and a tranmission shift kit like Transgo. You can also put the billet servos, aluminum acculator piston, HP clutches and torque converter. Below is a link to a guy I purchased from in the past and he has great kits at great prices.

http://zippyperformance.com/_wsn/page2.html

The gears are a great mod for instant results but it wont change the shift characteristics of the transmission. You could always do both!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

C1Trob, not idling, but just moving out with traffic and trying to stay off the rearend of the car ahead.

2005SSR6Speed, thanks for the tips, I will probably do the ring and pinion first, then see about the other mods.:)

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
4:10 gears

I am having 4:10 gears installed in mine. Setting the computer gear ratio (to 4:10) will also change the shift points at the same time. To improve on that I'm adding the predator program. Try it.....you'll like it!

Driving a Hot Rod:yesnod
Skip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts