Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my car today from the Xpel installer (his first) and to my surprise, it was installed as two pieces with a seam down the middle of the hood. Granted, from 10 feet away it is not bad, just not what I anticipated. He had another installer friend help him and he gave up, said it was impossible. It took him two days. He said the compound curves are like trying to wrap an egg. Additionally, it only goes up about six inches on the hood above the Chevrolet lettering under the nose. Anyone else have problems with installation or the finished product? :confused

C

·
0 Posts
I assume Xpel is some kind of paint protector?? Can you remove it now?

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Sounds like the installer was not very good. I had it installed and it is all one piece on the hood go's up about 18 inches. The guy that did mine says it is one of the hardest installations but he has done several SSR's. Also had the grille done it is also one piece same with the whole lower area below the grille. Was a very good job and very difficult to see from a few feet away. I would try to find an installer that has done an SSR in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Xpel

The hood went on as a single piece. The grill was in a number of pieces. No center seams, though and it looks pretty good. My guy does dealer work for high end sports cars and didn't mention any problems. He downloads the cutting instructions from a web site straight to his CAD cutter and it custom fits the vehicle.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Have you tried gettting in touch with the company itself instead of a dealer. I am sure if he is certified they will replace it. I am planning on this soon so would like to know the outcome.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to the manufacturer of X-pel today, and he confirmed that it is designed to be installed as a single piece on the hood. They will contact the installer and if need be, they will make a video of how to install it correctly and send it to him! I know the installer will be less than thrilled to reattempt what was a challenging install but I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts