Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I made a post about having found an SSR locally that I'm really interested in (Question about top operation during test drive). I'm hoping the issues I've found with it are minor, cold-weather stuff, but it was suggested that I find someone knowledgeable about SSRs to give me an opinion of how much work it's really going to be and the cost. The dealership where the car is located is in DeKalb, IL. I'm happy to pay you for your time!

· Premium Member
2,589 Posts
Take a look at this truck for comparison.

· Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,357 Posts
Take a look at this truck for comparison.
Look at @BlueStreak commentary in post #6 on this particular truck.

· Perfectionist
05 Redline, 06 Pac Blue, Spfld, Illinois
1,272 Posts
Hi! I made a post about having found an SSR locally that I'm really interested in (Question about top operation during test drive). I'm hoping the issues I've found with it are minor, cold-weather stuff, but it was suggested that I find someone knowledgeable about SSRs to give me an opinion of how much work it's really going to be and the cost. The dealership where the car is located is in DeKalb, IL. I'm happy to pay you for your time!

Hello, If you are looking for a real nice violet 2004, I know of one that you should look at. It is in my town of Springfield, il. It is owned by a 90 year old lady. It is very nice. has 27k on the clock. Top works perfect and drives like a brand new truck. She just put new tires all the way around. it has a few very minor scuffs that can be polished out. I have drove this truck and know this lady. I have 52 pictures of this truck if you are interested. She actually has two more cars (Cadillac's) and don't drive the ssr much. Send me a pm if interested in looking at it. Dino

· Super Moderator
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
6,159 Posts
Hope it went well with the inspection! If not, well there are plenty of other SSR's available! ;)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The SSR passed inspection overall. My friend says he would replace the transmission lines due to rust. The tires will need to be replaced sooner or later as they're dated 1/6/2012 but they're fine for the time being. He could tell from the rear brake lines (and I noticed from the test drive) that the brakes could use a little attention. The struts that lift the truck top did need to be replaced. Nothing that makes the car dangerous or undrivable in its current condition. Stuff that will need to be replaced in the longer term were the AC serpentine belt and the left front brake hose just due to normal wear and tear and age. Stuff that didn't need to be fixed included scrape marks on the wheels, a missing skid plate under the hood. Overall I'd say the condition was fair to good. The dealership is sticking to their guns on the asking price though. I offered them $19,000. The $25,654 on the Internet is what the sales manager quoted me tonight (he made it sound like he was coming down to that price so I'm not sure if he adjusted the Internet price after speaking to me or if he was just outright lying). The sales manager isn't very personable and is difficult to negotiate with. I've never had such a bad experience at a car dealership with the haggling process before. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this is the right car in the wrong place.

· Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,660 Posts
I would talk to @OLDFATGUY about the one he was telling you about. For one thing he is a perfectionist and has had hands on the truck and went over it very carefully. It has less miles and new tires on it. I have met the lady who owns it myself and she takes care of her stuff. The one you looked at I would bet has more things wrong besides the rusted transmission lines and GM fuel and brake lines don't stand up to IL road crews and the brine and salt they use. I know this all to well from working in IL for 5 years and in that time had to replace brake and fuel lines on my everyday drivers.
And one other thing tires dated from 2012 are over 10 years old. Those need to be replaced sooner. Because the tread coming off a tire can take out a fender, inner fender and bumper real quick at highway speeds. And that damage could be enough to total out your new ride. That would really suck to pick it up and have a tire take it out on the way home or on a cruise.

· Premium Member
7,045 Posts
I've been texting back and forth with @OLDFATGUY about that car! If the one at the dealership doesn't work out I'm planning on checking the one he's talking about out over Spring Break (I'm not in a rush... no one really needs a convertible in Illinois in the winter anyway!).
My suggestion would be to look at @OLDFATGUY 's BEFORE you make a decision at the dealer. That would show you the DIFFERENCE, between a well cared for, maintained, upgraded, SSR and one at a dealer, whose only goal is to move a vehicle that could be a money pit down the road, costing you more $$$$ than then initial price.

Nick

· Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,229 Posts
Dealership price is too much for an SSR that needs the top repaired. You should stick to your guns at $19k. How was the wear on the 2012 tires? Did you check the front tires' inner sidewall shoulder for excess wear, that is usually where the wear occurs due to improper alignment. You will not see this on the outside shoulders of the tires. If the 2012 tires do not show wear on the inside shoulder at least you know the alignment is correct but, as stated above, those tires need to be replaced as soon as possible.

· Super Moderator
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
6,159 Posts
(I'm not in a rush... no one really needs a convertible in Illinois in the winter anyway!).
Prices are always lower in the winter for a convertible! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts