Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone besides our supercharged friends had their stock 05 tuned yet with a tuner?
What were the results?
Zack:eek

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nope, not yet. I have 4.56 gears, headers and dual exhaust and a Yank torque converter waiting to go on. Supposedly tuner Jeremy F. in Central Florida has it on order but is out the next couple of weeks for his wedding.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running HOT

Wildcat69 said:
Nope, not yet. I have 4.56 gears, headers and dual exhaust and a Yank torque converter waiting to go on. Supposedly tuner Jeremy F. in Central Florida has it on order but is out the next couple of weeks for his wedding.
Sounds Hot! Your going to be hell on street.

Anyone else? I have a stock 05-6speed. Wondering if anyone else with a stock ride has or is going to get the tuner?:skep

·
Premium Member
71,395 Posts
same boat

Zack said:
Sounds Hot! Your going to be hell on street.

Anyone else? I have a stock 05-6speed. Wondering if anyone else with a stock ride has or is going to get the tuner?:skep
I am in the same boat I have the equipment ready to be put on just waiting on a tuner to complete the project......06blueroadster

·
Registered
234 Posts
Now that the tuner software is out try and find a tuner who is going to purchase the software. Also, try and find another SSR owner who will do it with you to reduce the cost of the software if you have to buy it yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Zack - The software is out there now, we have a few tuner shops down in San Diego. I would give everyone a few to learn the software. If you dont mind driving, there is a tuner up in Ventura called CrashDummy Tuning that is real good with the LS2.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll let you know in a week or 2

I purchased the new HP Tuners Professional Suite with LS2 support for $650.00. It is due to ship on 02/15/2006. Not too bad considering a pre-programed flash tuner costs $400.00.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tuner results

Hey Crew,
Just wondering if anyone installed the tuner on the 05 yet and how's it feel?
Joe, what kind of gains would you expect on a stock 05?
Thanks,
z

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Zack: Just so you are clear: there are two very different approaches to tuning a vehicle electronically, and I'm not sure you see that.

A MICROTUNER (handheld hardware with special cable to connect to your diagnostic port under the dash, that connects wit your vehicle computer) is pre-programmed with a "tune" that provides moderate (VERY moderate) gains in mid range and a bit at peak rpm, via spark and air/fuel ratio changes to the stock tune. It ONLY works with a purely stock vehicle, and will in fact refuse to laod onto a modified vehicle.

TUNING SOFTWARE (e.g. the "HP Tuner" package mentioned above) is software that allows a PROFESSIONAL to tune the software in your vehicle's computer using HIS personal expertise. Tuning software does NOT come with any "pre-loaded" tunes. It does NOTHING for you until a professional uses it to reprogram your computer, but it is FAR more powerful than a microtuner.

Usage of each:

Use the microtuner if all you want is a bit of a bump up in performance and will make no other PHYSICAL changes. If you also make phsyical changes, the preloaded tune no longer matches your phusoical reality and can hurt your engine and drivetrain significantly.

Use the tuning software to:

1. have a PRO do what the microtuner would do to optimize the stock phsyical reality,

and later

2. adapt the electronic tune to changes in physical reality as you make them (dual exhaust, headers, new air intake, supercharger, etc).

Most people do not buy the tuning software personally unless they want personal control of the software themselves. Most simply go to a commercial tuner who uses such software and who pays the software company a licensing fee for each vehicle he uses it on (it tracks vehicle VINs). He charges you that licensing fee plus the fee for his services.

If you buy your OWN license, and if youre tuner knows how to use that particular tuning software package, he can use YOUR license, and just charge you for his tuning expertise and services. The advantage of this approach is that it is then clear that the tune is YOUR property, not his, and you can change tuners anytime and still have your current tune and all prior tunes on your own home computer.

Hope this helsp clarify things a bit.

If not enough:

1. Check posting histpry here using search keys "microtuner" and "tuning software"

2. Check out chapter 17 in my book.

Jim G

·
Registered
185 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Zack: Just so you are clear: there are two very different approaches to tuning a vehicle electronically, and I'm not sure you see that.

A MICROTUNER (handheld hardware with special cable to connect to your diagnostic port under the dash, that connects wit your vehicle computer) is pre-programmed with a "tune" that provides moderate (VERY moderate) gains in mid range and a bit at peak rpm, via spark and air/fuel ratio changes to the stock tune. It ONLY works with a purely stock vehicle, and will in fact refuse to laod onto a modified vehicle.

TUNING SOFTWARE (e.g. the "HP Tuner" package mentioned above) is software that allows a PROFESSIONAL to tune the software in your vehicle's computer using HIS personal expertise. Tuning software does NOT come with any "pre-loaded" tunes. It does NOTHING for you until a professional uses it to reprogram your computer, but it is FAR more powerful than a microtuner.

Usage of each:

Use the microtuner if all you want is a bit of a bump up in performance and will make no other PHYSICAL changes. If you also make phsyical changes, the preloaded tune no longer matches your phusoical reality and can hurt your engine and drivetrain significantly.

Use the tuning software to:

1. have a PRO do what the microtuner would do to optimize the stock phsyical reality,

and later

2. adapt the electronic tune to changes in physical reality a syou make them (dual exhaust, headers, new air intake, supercharger, etc).

Most people do not buy the tuning software personally unless they want personal control of the software themselves. Most simply go to a commercial tuner who uses such software and who pays the software company a licensing fee for each vehicle he uses it on (it tracks vehicle VINs). He charges you that licensing fee plus the fee for his services.

If you buy your OWN license, and if youre tuner knows how to use that particular tuning software package, he can use YOUR license, and just charge you for his tuning expertise and services. The advantage of this approach is that it is then clear that the tune is YOUR property, not his, and you can change tuners anytime and still have your current tune and all prior tunes on your own home computer.

Hope this helsp clarify things a bit.

If not enough:

1. Check posting histpry here using search keys "microtuner" and "tuning software"

2. Check out chapter 17 in my book.

Jim G
JIm, is there a good repurable tuner in the DFW area for the LS2 engine. 05 SSR
The concern besides the obvious is the automatic transmission handling mods. I get a lot of what i call slippage when second gear kicks in.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I do not know the shops in the DFW area, as I am in Austin, 200 miles away from DFW.

There is a curent void in Austin area for these skillsets. I am currently tryin gto get two different people in Austin interested in doing this RIGHT.

In the meantime, I am recommending Lyndon Wester's remote tuning work.

Jim G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts