Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
I was just curious if someone had installed one and what your experience was with the install. Oh, and I have been corrected. The 6.0 ltr is an LS2. The 2003-2004 is a Vortech V8 :)

Thanks

**I edited the thread name to refer to an LM4, the 5.3L Vortec engine on the 03/04 which the thread owner meant to refer to - Cash

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe there are any LS-1 SSRs. :confused
OH, I thought that the 5.3 Ltr was known as an LS1. I'm probably wrong then. So, have you seen one on a 5.3 ltr then? :p

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
I think it's an LM-4, but anyway don't remember anyone saying they used a whipple. Oh wait, there was a guy from AZ, Bernie I think.

·
Premium Member
19,707 Posts
Qwkssr Ed Leis has one one year at Laughlin he smoked his tire all the way to top floor of parking lot from the floor below . It really woke up that 5.3

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
A more powerful engine is built from the inside out. Just adding a supercharger puts a little frosting on the cake but may not supply as much hp as one would like. Outputs would be less without a cam and valve train designed for boosted induction. As I found out, the choice is limited when using cathedral port heads. A better application in a hp per dollar would be a good computer tune as done by Formato or Delano or Moro.:cheers:jester.02

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,428 Posts
I have had people ask why I had a Magna supercharger instead of a Whipple, and I couldn't give them a good answer.

Does anyone have comparison info on the Whipple vs the Magna 112?

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,586 Posts
I was just curious if someone had installed one and what your experience was with the install. Oh, and I have been corrected. The 6.0 ltr is an LS2. The 2003-2004 is a Vortech V8 :)

Thanks
I own a 2004 SSR that HAD a whipple supercharger on it. The original owner (bernie) from AZ built components for whipple. He told me quote:"the added performance was disappointing". So he took it off, and returned the SSR to bone stock. This man is knowledgeable, an x-crew chief for a very well known Nitro Funny Car Team. I have a friend (sprooney) who is on this site, and has a Magnusson Supercharger on his 5.3, which seems to perform perfectly, and really wakes up the 5.3, he could probably shed more light on it. My .02 Cents:smile2:

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I own a 2004 SSR that HAD a whipple supercharger on it. The original owner (bernie) from AZ built components for whipple. He told me quote:"the added performance was disappointing". So he took it off, and returned the SSR to bone stock. This man is knowledgeable, an x-crew chief for a very well known Nitro Funny Car Team. I have a friend (sprooney) who is on this site, and has a Magnusson Supercharger on his 5.3, which seems to perform perfectly, and really wakes up the 5.3, he could probably shed more light on it. My .02 Cents:smile2:

Thanks, good to know. I was looking for alternatives since the 1900 Magnuson seems to be on permanent hold not that was being developed for the SSR. Disappointing but it is what is is :)

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
Thanks, good to know. I was looking for alternatives since the 1900 Magnuson seems to be on permanent hold not that was being developed for the SSR. Disappointing but it is what is is :)
Check with Joe at Left Coast 32 regarding availability of the 1900. He put my 2300 package together, and has been doing the same with the 1900 for the SSR. Hollister SSR had his 1900 at the Peach City Beach Cruise. The smaller package makes it an easier install in an SSR. No need to re-shape the firewall to clear the rear pulley.

Joe has spent a lot of time working with SSR and TBSS installs, and knows the tuning well. With the Magnuson setup working so well, I'm not sure i'd want to risk trying something that hadn't been fully researched. Had you been able to purchase a kit for the SSR from Magnuson, part of the install is to ship them your computer for a re-flash. It's a one size fits all tune. I sent Joe several scans, and he did multiple re-tunes to get it to max performance.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check with Joe at Left Coast 32 regarding availability of the 1900. He put my 2300 package together, and has been doing the same with the 1900 for the SSR. Hollister SSR had his 1900 at the Peach City Beach Cruise. The smaller package makes it an easier install in an SSR. No need to re-shape the firewall to clear the rear pulley.

Joe has spent a lot of time working with SSR and TBSS installs, and knows the tuning well. With the Magnuson setup working so well, I'm not sure i'd want to risk trying something that hadn't been fully researched. Had you been able to purchase a kit for the SSR from Magnuson, part of the install is to ship them your computer for a re-flash. It's a one size fits all tune. I sent Joe several scans, and he did multiple re-tunes to get it to max performance.
I checked with Mike Moro who has been writing the instructions for the 1900. According to Mike there was a lot of people that changed heir minds and now Magnuson has 6-7 on the shelf but requires they all be bought at the same time or something. I would buy one now if they were available but alas, nada. So it’s in limbo.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,058 Posts
I checked with Mike Moro who has been writing the instructions for the 1900. According to Mike there was a lot of people that changed heir minds and now Magnuson has 6-7 on the shelf but requires they all be bought at the same time or something. I would buy one now if they were available but alas, nada. So it’s in limbo.
Soooooo...... let me set the record straight.......

There has never been any stock of the TVS-1900 kit for the SSR and nothing is on the shelf. If there was, we would have had it in our hot little hands an installed.

Magnuson currently has our order for five of the TVS-1900 blower kits for the SSR. All of them are spoken for..... unless someone drops out. If that is the case, Joe or I will have to purchase a complete kit and sit on it until someone wants one. Not good use of limited funds.

We have a very small order and we have to wait for our turn in the machine shop production line. Right now, Magnuson is trying to machine and fabricate the 300+ backordered Toyota applications that they have in the queue. I hope they can get the SSR kits after that..... I don't have access to their scheduling.

Magnuson is actually doing us a bit of a favor, since we have not put a lot of cash down on the table. I was hoping that the original desire for 10+ blowers would have kick-started this product, but half of the "I want one" group has bailed on us. Joe and I are not ready to put out the cash for the other 5 to get "inventory" that we can sell.

Bottom line here....... If anyone wants a TVS-1900 application for your SSR, 2003-04 or 2005-06, they will have to step up and commit to it. Once this first batch is built, we will be at the back of the production line queue again for the next group.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Qwkssr Ed Leis has one one year at Laughlin he smoked his tire all the way to top floor of parking lot from the floor below . It really woke up that 5.3

I was an Magnacharger dealer when i purchased my SSR so I had to put one on it , The difference was awesome !!

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

There has never been any stock of the TVS-1900 kit for the SSR and nothing is on the shelf. If there was, we would have had it in our hot little hands an installed.

Magnuson currently has our order for five of the TVS-1900 blower kits for the SSR. All of them are spoken for..... unless someone drops out. If that is the case, Joe or I will have to purchase a complete kit and sit on it until someone wants one. Not good use of limited funds.

We have a very small order and we have to wait for our turn in the machine shop production line. Right now, Magnuson is trying to machine and fabricate the 300+ backordered Toyota applications that they have in the queue. I hope they can get the SSR kits after that..... I don't have access to their scheduling.

Magnuson is actually doing us a bit of a favor, since we have not put a lot of cash down on the table. I was hoping that the original desire for 10+ blowers would have kick-started this product, but half of the "I want one" group has bailed on us. Joe and I are not ready to put out the cash for the other 5 to get "inventory" that we can sell.

Bottom line here....... If anyone wants a TVS-1900 application for your SSR, 2003-04 or 2005-06, they will have to step up and commit to it. Once this first batch is built, we will be at the back of the production line queue again for the next group.

Regards,

Mike
Thanks Mike for the response to my question and clearing that up.

So it sounds like there will never be, other than the 5 spoken for, any more produced unless a large number of SSR owners comes forward. In other words, if you don't get one now, they won't be offering one?

Sounds kinds silly that they would stop a complete production line for only 5.

Stew

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I pondered a supercharger for my '04 for a while. But then I asked myself....

If you want more power, isn't it cheaper just sell your '03 or '04 and go buy an '05 or '06?

Personally, I ended up just tweaking the '04 and found it to be all the fun I needed.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

If you want more power, isn't it cheaper just sell your '03 or '04 and go buy an '05 or '06?

Personally, I ended up just tweaking the '04 and found it to be all the fun I needed.

I'm about there now. I have a torque converter switch and 4/11 gears going in in a couple weeks and a re-tune. I found a local speed shop that has experience with the SSR and 5.3 ltr engine's and transmissions. They told me that I would probably be more than happy with the results and not need a supercharger. We'll see! :)

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts

I'm about there now. I have a torque converter switch and 4/11 gears going in in a couple weeks and a re-tune. I found a local speed shop that has experience with the SSR and 5.3 ltr engine's and transmissions. They told me that I would probably be more than happy with the results and not need a supercharger. We'll see! :)
Seeking the ultimate prize is a never ending quest. An LS2 equipped SSR gives you an extra 100 hp, but someone you know will supercharge his/her LS2, raising the bar yet again.

No one needs a supercharger, or 4:10 gears, or upgraded suspension, or a C6 oil pan, or new paint, or polished parts under the hood, or stiffened frame, so at some point you will need to take an exit off the upgrade freeway and be happy with what you have.

I did all of the above except new paint, and decided that was the time to get off the freeway.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,428 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Do you have any data (or conjecture) on how much boost the 1900 can provide? I'm looking for at least 15 lbs, but my 1200 is maxed out at 10.

Dave

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Oh yeah... Those updates will make a difference, alright. You'll be pleased. Happy motoring.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah... Those updates will make a difference, alright. You'll be pleased. Happy motoring.
Thanks, I'm not looking to set a land speed record. I would just like it to accelerate a little better when passing. Off the line is also kind of annoying with how the torque converter is loaded up. I'm thinking this will make things more "sportier".

1 - 20 of 42 Posts