Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SSR redline red, "Tupperware" bedliner
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to access PDF files on Franks "key" but now my windows 10 edge won't open most of them and if it does, there are pages missing or not fully "loaded" (partial pics, half pages). I can open some with Adobe acrobat reader but not all. Anyone else have this issue or is it my PC, software?

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
I've been trying to access PDF files on Franks "key" but now my windows 10 edge won't open most of them and if it does, there are pages missing or not fully "loaded" (partial pics, half pages). I can open some with Adobe acrobat reader but not all. Anyone else have this issue or is it my PC, software?
:unsure:
Ahhh, can't help much but to say I do have Windows 10, but I do not use edge. Recently saw where someone said it "sucked the big one"...........don't use it.

That is all I know.:rolleyes:

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
Agreed that there may be something's up. I use Edge, Chrome and Firefox browsers on a Windows 10 PC and laptop to test various projects. I just tried my "Ultimate Drive" and had the same results as @redhotEUG; all of the browsers error out on most of the PDFs now. Same experience with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

I ran a bunch of experiments and my WAG is that it looks like the data transfer rate of the USB "key" drive I have is too slow for Windows 10 to process now. I tried using it on my Mac and there were no problems so that leads me to believe that at some point a Windows 10 update may have caused the issue.

When I first received Frank's "Ultimate Drive" files I copied them directly to my Mac's hard drive. I put the "key" away and just referred to them from there.

So I tried copying all of Frank's files directly from my Mac's hard drive to a new USB 3.0 drive. That allowed me to open all of the PDFs in all of the browsers on my Windows 10 machines. (However copying the files from Frank's USB drive to the same USB 3.0 drive did not work so something is lost in that translation.)

How this plays out for others will probably depend on how new their computers and operating systems are.

Frank, I sent you a short PM with stats and such.

Naturally I could be way off base here - we both could have failing USB drives - but that's how things worked out for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Rich, are you saying it has something to do with my WIN10 upgrade? As you said, I have all the same issues you did. Like the pages aren't fully loaded.
I did PM dinerman.

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
So Rich, are you saying it has something to do with my WIN10 upgrade? As you said, I have all the same issues you did. Like the pages aren't fully loaded.
I did PM dinerman.
That's my guess. Did you already have Win 10 and this just started recently or did you update from an earlier version like Win 8 or 7?

Since I could also replicate what you're seeing with Adobe Reader, it seems likely it's the operating system itself.

These things happen. Technology can't always be backward compatible and everything reaches an end of life point. Luckily in this case it's probably just the transfer speed of the thumb drive. So it's really not a big deal, the files are all still valid (and terrific to have). I think they just need to be saved on a newer USB drive to be compatible with the latest OS is all.

I sent Frank some info so we'll see what he comes up with.

·
Premium Member
9,452 Posts
I dug out my key tonight and tried it. I have windows 10, and running Chrome. I was a bit concerned reading this thread, because my computer had gone through several Windows updates recently.

I tried several chapters of the service manuals, the GM audio bits, and the video conversation with Dicktator. All of that seemed to work OK.

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
I dug out my key tonight and tried it. I have windows 10, and running Chrome. I was a bit concerned reading this thread, because my computer had gone through several Windows updates recently.

I tried several chapters of the service manuals, the GM audio bits, and the video conversation with Dicktator. All of that seemed to work OK.
Great to know.(y) Curious, which application do the PDFs open in?

Some files seem to open okay - Dicktator’s DIYs for instance - but the large files like the owner’s and repair manuals are problematic for me.

As mentioned, when I copied the files from my hard drive to a 3.0 USB drive they all worked fine. I generally don’t believe in coincidence, but it’s very possible that @redhotEUG and I have failing drives is all.

·
Premium Member
9,452 Posts
Great to know.(y) Do you recall when you received it? Just wondering if some of us might have an older model.
I had to go back and check. I ordered it October 6 2015, the same day Frank first made it available. 😁

Reactions: richsadams

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I did upgrade from win7 to win10. What I understand is windows 10 opens PDF files with the edge browser. I could be wrong. I did go back and open many PDF files already on my PC using Adobe and edge and had zero issues opening them with both programs. Something isn't right.

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
I did upgrade from win7 to win10. What I understand is windows 10 opens PDF files with the edge browser. I could be wrong. I did go back and open many PDF files already on my PC using Adobe and edge and had zero issues opening them with both programs. Something isn't right.
You’re correct about Windows 10 opening PDF files with their Edge browser.

So we’re having the same experience with being able to open files stored on our hard drives, but not from the”key”. That leads me to think it’s either the transfer rate of the key just being too slow or some of the files possibly being corrupted.

Let us know how it goes when you get your replacement.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
2,022 Posts
We bought 100 2gig thumb drives, copied the information from the key and the updates on the forum.
We gave some of them out in a goodie bag to all of the newbies in Maggie Valley last weekend.. I have a few left.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's interesting. Is that supposed to help me?

·
Premium Member
ROTM 2005 Redline Red .
5,797 Posts
Checked my key today on Surface Pro, no issues, all the info was available.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts