Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read numerous posts from owners who have installed non-factory items to their ssr. Of course, each ssr is the respective owners canvas to do with as he/she pleases.

That having been said; I have always believed that you should never to do anything to a vehicle that you could not undo and return to the factory (as delivered) condition. ie, custom wheels are ok as long as you retain the originals. My Philosophy probably stems from being from the vintage Corvette clan.

Anyway, am I the odd man out, or are there others who agree.
I just would hate to be the guy that took out the window spine of a 63 vette so that it would look like a newer 64.

Please understand, I am not criticizing those of you that have made yours unique, just raising a discussion.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
If it ain't broke...

geunther,

I'm in total agreement with you. After reading the book (SSR - An AMERICAN Original) and understanding WHY the SSR was made the way it is - is enough to convince me to keep it STOCK.

I just can't see mucking my SSR up - even with paint etc...

I was approached by Bel-Tech (They are located here in the San Joaquin Valley) and was offered a lowering kit and install for free - I couldn't do it - WOULDN't do it...

Watching enough Barrett/Jackson auctions has made me a believer of the KISS theory - Keep It Stock Stupid! My 1 in 800 Slingshot Yellow '03 SSR will end up being a 1 in 200 (???) ALL STOCK - ALL OPTIONS vehicle - which can only increase the value!!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:D Each to their own. Being an artist and driving such an artsty vehicle, it is irresistable to not tamper with the vehicle from my point of view and I most certainly will enhance the curves and shapes of this beauty with color. I doubt I will live long enough to see it worth what it would be in an auction and doubt I will ever part with it no matter what someone offers me, but the creative urge to express myself is unstopable!!!! I thoroughly enjoy vechicles that are stock and upgraded to extremes, as long as it is tasteful. Even the tastless ones have merit in some strange way....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: If it ain't broke...

kwhopper89 said:

I was approached by Bel-Tech (They are located here in the San Joaquin Valley) and was offered a lowering kit and install for free - I couldn't do it - WOULDN't do it...
Tell them i'll do it!

·
Registered
705 Posts
so what do you think of a supercharger? I'm planning to do the Lingenfelter supercharger upgrade (magnacharger). It will add another 150hp. It's hard to resist.

can this be reversed easily? Wouldn't this add to the value? Now I'm confused....

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I agree with geunther!

And if there is a bedrock principle of appreciating a vehicle, it is to not do something that cannot be easily undone! Snakespeare Take it from someone who "dechromed" a 1958 Impala Sport Coupe!:banghead :cry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Modifications

Come on Guys, I definitely believe in the motto "to each his own" but this is a driver, it is not a collector car. Those that bought the truck for appreciation are in for a sad awakening in the not to distant future. I owned a 1995 ZR-1 Corvette and it is worth less than half of what it cost new and this is almost 10 years later. I also thought I would be smart in 1995 and bought 5 of only 527 Corvette Indy pace cars (this was also another time when Chevy featured a purple car) figuring they would appreciate, wrong answer. I bought this beautiful truck becasue it is different and I like to drive different vehicles!! I even sold my 2003 S55 AMG to keep the SSR. By the way, I WILL modify mine, everyone else should do whatever they want so that THEY enjoy it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting

It seems as though we have one end of the spectrum to the other, really no middle ground. Of course we can all speculate till the cows come home, and only time will determine what will and will not be a classic. (I certainly feel for the guy who de-chromed the impala.)

Kind of interesting to hear about the pace corvette and zr-1 being worth less. Ironically I have a "not so many option" 79 gmc, 4 wheel drive pickup, with 13,000 original miles. Only things replaced are the air cleaner element, battery, one fuze, and oil. I can sell it now for 2.5x what it cost new. Whooda thunk.

Side note: The guy I got the truck from has a 78 vette with less than 300 miles. I'm sure that it's worth more than it was new. The new vettes will never appreciate like the older, because they just made too many of them (zr-1 excluded)

Thanks, it was interesting to see the different views. I will drive mine but will keep additions to a minimum. (it it easly to replace the stock spindles for lowered ones, lol)

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
QUOTE: Come on Guys, I definitely believe in the motto "to each his own" but this is a driver, it is not a collector car.

Thought I would add my 2 cents for what its worth. I have to agree with this guy I bought it because it was different and unique. I don't plan on keeping it for 30 years till it becomes a classic if I did I would definetly keep it totally original. I think any of us who are over 40 years old can think back to a great car we owned and wish we still had it today, and how it would be worth many times what we paid for it back then. Even the guy with the dechromed Chevy if he still has it its still worth much more today its called INFLATION (I bought a 1968 Chevy Malibu in 68 brand new for $2500.00 That was my very first new car by the way) Lets say I put that car in storage for 36 years how much you think it would be worth today? But how much enjoyment would I have gotten out of it. I have fond memories of that car got my first Whoops better not go there this is a family forum. My point is Life's too short enjoy the SSR today make it special make it as unique as you like. BUT ENJOY IT If you want to invest in the future try the stock market.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
If we had wnted a truck that would increase in value we would have bought one of the first 25 and then we would only be able to look at it. What fun would that be ? Really? We all know we love to drive and love the looks it gets and I don't think any enhancement will ever destroy the truck. Just don't take off the fenders LOL Have fun live each day to the fullest and don't worry what everyone else thinks. It's your life and your truck. Happy Cruisin':cheers

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Hmmmm......

Now let's talk unique! So how do you think it would look sans the fenders? That wouldn't hurt its value. Any artists on the board? Highboy? Sketchem up!

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I think you're on to something!

With the canopy up and the wings in place.... wouldn't make a bad looking plane. Machell you can come up with the props, huh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts