Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I’ve been wondering how I’m going to keep my “R” running in years to come as vital parts become hard to find. Because I’m not mechanically incline I don’t contribute much to this forum. I only usually visit the forum when I have a problem with my 2003 SSR. I usually find a solution from searching the forum, from advise from people or from the How-to-library; and as a last resort, (usually) the Chevy dealer since (as noted earlier) I’m not mechanically gifted. My question to this forum is; which vital parts should I locate and purchase NOW, so I can have them when I’ll need them? Hopefully there will still be dealer mechanics with knowledge on how to fix the SSR because they are my only choice to fix my 03 “R”.

OBTW; moving (retired) from Maine to Tucson, Arizona in August 2018. Any recommendations on a good Chevy dealership mechanic? Oh, and still no word from the Chevy dealership here on a roof door module.

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,454 Posts
Tucson?

I live in Northwest Tucson (near Stone and River) and no one is any less mechanically inclined. For the last 13 years I have only used Watson Chevrolet for the basic stuff and Mike (Simple Engineering) in Ahwatukee for the tough stuff.

Mike is about an hour North but well worth the trip . . . if Mike doesn't know the answer and/or have the solution, no one does.

Welcome to the Desert Southwest.

! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers !

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Excellent post SSRMaineiac, there's a lot of us out there in the SSR family just like you. So, don't fret or let your blood pressure get out of sight. There's always an SSRfanatic on this sight that can help you out. So "stay tuned" We are truly blessed ... and lucky to have Todd's Complete Auto Care here in Middle Tennessee that can fix anything on an SSR.

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Welcome to the world of classic car ownership. I wouldn't worry to much about stashing parts away. There will likely be sources for most everything (new or used) for quite a while. Albeit, they may be expensive. And, of course, if Murphy's law comes into play, the part you need will be the one you don't have.

Come visit the forum a little more... the waters fine.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,363 Posts
"Dealerships?? - :surprise: :surprise:..........

We don't need no stinkin' dealerships!!!"

2018-05-09-07-52-59--1428252329.jpeg <----!!!!----> 2018-05-09-07-53-35-1010088537.jpeg

★★★ - We got Mike, Dictator, river_rat, etc., etc.!!!! - :cheers

================
David :black:
images-2.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tucson?

I live in Northwest Tucson (near Stone and River) and no one is any less mechanically inclined. For the last 13 years I have only used Watson Chevrolet for the basic stuff and Mike (Simple Engineering) in Ahwatukee for the tough stuff.

Mike is about an hour North but well worth the trip . . . if Mike doesn't know the answer and/or have the solution, no one does.

Welcome to the Desert Southwest.

! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers !
Doophus; the wife and I will be moving to Saddlebrooke, a 55+ community. Thanks for the tip about Watson Chevrolet; will check it out. As far as Mike, I kinda off worship the guy. I’ve seen some of his post; and while I don’t understand much of what he is saying, the responses from others about his inputs lead me to believe he has been divinely gifted in automotive knowledge. But I’m sure it’s due to a tremendous amount of research and study hours. Looking forward to enjoying the final chapters of life in the Desert Southwest.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,443 Posts

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
I’ve been wondering how I’m going to keep my “R” running in years to come as vital parts become hard to find...My question to this forum is; which vital parts should I locate and purchase NOW, so I can have them when I’ll need them?....moving (retired) from Maine to Tucson, Arizona in August 2018.
Buy a Second SSR!?!? :surprise: :laugh::laugh:

Congrats on your final retirement!! I hope to be at that stage in 8 more years!!
While you're living in AZ, I hope you get to meet Carl and also get a chance to see the "ever-elusive" @DOOPHUS!!!
:grin2:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Buy a Second SSR!?!? :surprise: :laugh::laugh:

Congrats on your final retirement!! I hope to be at that stage in 8 more years!!
While you're living in AZ, I hope you get to meet Carl and also get a chance to see the "ever-elusive" @DOOPHUS!!!
:grin2:
8 more years ??? It says Ret. Air Force above your Dog picture !!! Bo Zander :ssr

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
8 more years ??? It says Ret. Air Force above your Dog picture !!! Bo Zander :ssr
You're a former military guy Bo-Zander!! You should know that a military retirement is barely enough to make a house payment with (unless we are talking about a retired officer...which I am NOT). After 26 years of service, I had to go get a real job (like most of you) and have to keep investing in my 401K. :frown2:

Sorry @SSRMaineniac ... Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
What career are you retiring from??

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
You're a former military guy Bo-Zander!! You should know that a military retirement is barely enough to make a house payment with (unless we are talking about a retired officer...which I am NOT). After 26 years of service, I had to go get a real job (like most of you) and have to keep investing in my 401K. :frown2:

It's all that beer he drinks....one job, two jobs, three jobs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I strongly believe that the popularity of the SSR is almost a cult following. Engine and drive train parts will be available. Body parts may become scarce but i have confidence that there is some one out there who will fabricate hoods fenders doors and such out of sheet metal or fiberglass. The big thing I am doing is getting rid of my regular insurance policy and getting a classic car policy. I don't want an insurance company saying mine is totalled just because parts are no longer made. I'm going to enjoy my SSR. I have waited since the came out to be able to afford to own one. Now that I can and have Lil Red ,I want to keep her running strong and having fun as long as i can to. We know that nothing lasts forever. But my hope is that LiL Red is around long after I'm gone and being enjoyed by some one else.

Just my thoughts

Layne12gun

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
:Of course, I hope everyone knows that I was just kidding. He is one of the hardest working people I know, after me. If you only knew how much work he and Mike have put into making the Middle Georgia Rally a great one!

As for parts.....I would just dive down to Warner Robins in the middle of the night. I'm sure between Alex SSR and Mikes SSR, I can find whatever I need.
:wink2:

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
I strongly believe that the popularity of the SSR is almost a cult following. Engine and drive train parts will be available. Body parts may become scarce but i have confidence that there is some one out there who will fabricate hoods fenders doors and such out of sheet metal or fiberglass. The big thing I am doing is getting rid of my regular insurance policy and getting a classic car policy. I don't want an insurance company saying mine is totalled just because parts are no longer made. I'm going to enjoy my SSR. I have waited since the came out to be able to afford to own one. Now that I can and have Lil Red ,I want to keep her running strong and having fun as long as i can to. We know that nothing lasts forever. But my hope is that LiL Red is around long after I'm gone and being enjoyed by some one else.

Just my thoughts

Layne12gun
Back on track. I recently had some damage done on my SSR. Most parts were not hard to find, with the exception being, a couple of parts that we found from Wild Bill. I think body parts and interior trim will be the issue in the future.

As for insurance, my buddy Micheal turned me on to "classic car" insurance. It is what you NEED. Now, there are limitations. Mostly in how much you drive it. It can't be a daily ride. In my case, I have a company car. So my SSR stays in the garage and I put less than 5000 a year on it. My insurance cost is half of what it was through a regular insurance, I have no deductible, and I get to set the value of the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
USAF Retired

Retired Master Sargeant United States Air Force. Then I too had to get a job; 18 years with the U.S.Postal Service. Will update status with Yellow Thunder’s RDM transplant later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RDM Transplant Update

RDM was shipped overnight from California. Transplant went smoothly, however, they said that the wiring to the tonneau dome light (according to what the wife (Marie) was told), got fried. Apparently a complication of the RDM transplant because they smelled that electrical burnt smell thingy. Yaw know what I mean. I had checked the dome light before taking Yellow Thunder to the dealer and it was fine. The good news is the roof is operating again (according to Marie) but the bad news is the dome light wiring will need fixing. Also, the tonneau release button in the glove compartment is not working but that hasn’t worked in a few years; another project when we get to Arizona. I haven’t had a chance to even try out the roof or look at the dome light wiring because were already late for our drive down to New Hampshire for a Mothers Day weekend get-away; and still too freaking cold to put the top down. But, 99 days, and counting, until we arrive to our dream retirement destination of Saddlebrooke, Arizona!! :laugh: OBTW: cost of transplant was $996.60. OUCH::surprise: OBTW2: I have the old RDM. Anyone knows how to refurbish them?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Dealers

The problem I find with Chevy dealers is that the new generation of technicians were not around when the SSR's were built, thus have no knowledge how to repair the issues. Find an independent mechanic that cares, and you find someone that can be a friend in need.
"Talk about rednecks all day, but when you are broke down on the road, you will be glad when one stops to help"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts