Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
41,542 Posts
Yeah thanks - those type of articles give lots of info about Prechter & ASC, not so much about the SSR. I saved several of them a couple years ago when I was doing a Time Line on the ASC, which I pretty well had finished so will submit that over the next few days.
Thanks for all the great info !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
ASC/SSR relationship

Cash, I am the new member that posted the inguiry and being severely smitten by the car bug, find all this info very interesting to say the least. I have built several street rods/hot rods/customs and worked on as many resto projects over the years and have always enjoyed any info on any build I have worked on.

Thanks to you and all the others who have contributed to the finding and sharing of this info.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,865 Posts
CASH--Amazing and impressive the time and effort y'all put into the research to give us this kind of information!!!! Thank you, thank you.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Hello Cash. I have a question. Do we know what happened to the tooling for the SSR? Were the dies destroyed, molds for dash, interior trim etc.? Just wondering. Great job and super great pics!!

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,818 Posts
Do we know what happened to the tooling for the SSR? Were the dies destroyed, molds for dash, interior trim etc.? Just wondering. Great job and super great pics!!

BigblockSSR from Bloomington Il.

Who owns 2003 SO-CAL VIN#00013
2004 425 BLACKBIRD
2007 TOP SPORTSMAN DRAG TRUCK
Bought many body moulds that sat outside and collected rain water.

·
Super Moderator
13,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Cash or anyone else,
Do you have a question about our SSR's that has bugged you over the years? Maybe we could ask someone in the know on Friday at ASC? :banghead

:black::)
No questions? :whistling:

I am currently in contact with Marcus Shelley @ ASC and hope to get into a one on one phone conversation with him @ best or at the least swap emails. You will meet Marcus at the ASC get together

I really don't know the questions to ask - getting into conversations and letting them relay experiences is far more productive.

Some items:
- If I were to have one wish fulfilled it would be to confirm the Diamondback VIN.
Finding the right person to ask this question is key. If Paul Wilbur were there he would have the answer somewhere.
I also would like to find out where to locate interior pictures of the Diamondback.

It would be interesting to know if this was an ASC project:

3B0019EX_c.jpg

Were the 4 MY2005 TuTones a joint effort with GM or an ASC concept only?
Was the 2005 Lamborghini Orange SSR a preliminary look at what was projected to be the MY2007 Sunburst Orange SSR?
Did ASC have other SSR projects in development?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I am currently in contact with Marcus Shelley @ ASC and hope to get into a one on one phone conversation with him @ best or at the least swap emails. You will meet Marcus at the ASC get together

I really don't know the questions to ask - getting into conversations and letting them relay experiences is far more productive.

Some items:
- If I were to have one wish fulfilled it would be to confirm the Diamondback VIN.

I also would like to find out where to locate interior pictures of the Diamondback.

View attachment 202513
I regret not buying the extended SSR from London($2500). I also regret not winning the bid on the Diamondback carbon fibre parts.($2600)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
WOW

Thanks ever so much for the info and the time involved in this project. AND special thanks for the photo takers and then to share them with us all.

Amazing truck with an amazing history for us all to enjoy and treasure!

Thank you, Charles

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts

Some items:
Finding the right person to ask this question is key. If Paul Wilbur were there he would have the answer somewhere.

View attachment 202513

Were the 4 MY2005 TuTones a joint effort with GM or an ASC concept only?
Was the 2005 Lamborghini Orange SSR a preliminary look at what was projected to be the MY2007 Sunburst Orange SSR?
Did ASC have other SSR projects in development?
You never know, maybe the SSR Diamondback will show up at the ASC party on Woodward this Friday! Wouldn't that be cool? :shutup:

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
ASC(American Speciality Car Company Global)

A new member recently posted a thread questioning the role the American Sunroof Corporation (ASC) played in the developement of the SSR. This prompted me to get off my butt and dive head first into something I have been meaning to do for ages.
However, I knew if I didn’t get this started, like so many other things I have good intention of doing, it would never get done. So hopefully, with input from others with knowledge of the time and events, this can become a thread that I could comfortably consider moving into the Heritage Center.

I am not sure how many realize what a large part ASC played in the building of the SSR. Most will immediately think of what is likely the most appealing aspect of the SSR, and how ASC was largely responsible for the design and development of the SSR's amazing roof, the first vertically stacking convertible hardtop.
But how much more did the ASC group do?

Rick Wagoner had made surprising commitments to commence production of the SSR within a very short time frame which put a lot of pressure on the GM engineers etal to make it happen. The Lansing Craft Centre (LCC) was not yet ready for SSR production. The first 5 of the Signature Series SSRs were virtually hand built entirely at the ASC plant in Oak Park MI.
GM assigned Ted Robertson, Ed Ivey and Mickey Sabol to oversee the engineering and development at ASC Oak Park.
ASC opened another facility in Lansing, strategically located much closer to the Lansing Craft Centre, important because there would seem to have been a steady stream of body components being transported back and forth between them.
One of the pictures shows a storage rack with “Return to ASC” on it. These racks were designed to hold body parts of all shapes and sizes.

I have read there were 7000 total welds on the SSR and the ASC plant performed an estimated 3000 of those (approximately 42%). When viewing the pictures it will become obvious where many of these welds were performed on the body.

Debbie Cook (HotRodGirl) was able to obtain a large number of pictures taken at the ASC facility during the SSR build and graciously shared them with us.

The pictures make a statement themselves and uncover a good part of the story, but in some ways raise questions as well. The paint process comes to mind – just one issue that will require adjustments in this thread.
I think I have the answer to part of this which I will share further on.

View attachment 200802 View attachment 200810 View attachment 200818 View attachment 200826 View attachment 200834

1. The ASC facility in Lansing MI
2. Debbie Cook and part of the ASC Group
3. Inside the ASC
4. & 5 Various work stations throughout the plant
Nice work here ,Cash, providing this special background information showing us
at least in a part how our "Special R's", were put together. etc. Yes ,ASC was responsible for building 40% of our unique trucks. GM's decision to stop production of the SSR was financially devastating to ASC. They, regrouped and are prospering. Here is a link of the new ASC global:ASC-American Specialty Cars-About Home

·
Super Moderator
13,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You never know, maybe the SSR Diamondback will show up at the ASC party on Woodward this Friday! Wouldn't that be cool? :shutup:

That would indeed be a big surprise!
Have a nice time Scott (and the rest of you lucky people!)

Nice work here ,Cash, providing this special background information showing us
at least in a part how our "Special R's", were put together. etc. Yes ,ASC was responsible for building 40% of our unique trucks. GM's decision to stop production of the SSR was financially devastating to ASC. They, regrouped and are prospering. Here is a link of the new ASC global:ASC-American Specialty Cars-About Home
Proud of you Dale! What a guy! I can't imagine the countless hours it took to put this post together!
Thank you Hal and Gordy.
I figure there is quite a way to go yet with this thread.
I am having good discussions with Marcus Shelley who with ASC at the time (and still is) and hope to continue after the ASC reunion.

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
That would indeed be a big surprise!
Have a nice time Scott (and the rest of you lucky people!)

Thank you Hal and Gordy.
I figure there is quite a way to go yet with this thread.
I am having good discussions with Marcus Shelley who with ASC at the time (and still is) and hope to continue after the ASC reunion.
Had the pleasure to meet Marcus Shelley! Also see his newly acquired red SSR on the ASC lot at the Woodward Dream Cruise this past weekend.
Wish he would put all his SSR knowledge in print!
And yes Cash you were right, no Diamondback, :( its just a memory now!

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
Had the pleasure to meet Marcus Shelley! Also see his newly acquired red SSR on the ASC lot at the Woodward Dream Cruise this past weekend.
Wish he would put all his SSR knowledge in print!
And yes Cash you were right, no Diamondback, :( its just a memory now!

Marcus referred to the SSR as the 3rd stall garage vehicle! I can relate to that. He said this while talking to him on the ASC lot at Woodward Ave last month.

:black: :)

·
Carolina Fanatic
7,421 Posts
WOW

Thanks ever so much for the info and the time involved in this project. AND special thanks for the photo takers and then to share them with us all.

Amazing truck with an amazing history for us all to enjoy and treasure!

Thank you, Charles

I agree thank you Cash for the time and effort and to HRC for her photos .. very interesting

·
Super Moderator
13,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Marcus referred to the SSR as the 3rd stall garage vehicle! I can relate to that. He said this while talking to him on the ASC lot at Woodward Ave last month.

:black: :)
I'm not sure what this means?
I do have to re-establish communications with Marcus.
I do need to review Elvisa pictures when I get some time and include them here.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts