Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening everyone....just wondering if anyone else has had their Ashtray/Lighter compartment door latch break? Today the rubber type latch underneath the dash that holds the tray up seems to break where it would spread apart to hold the compartment door itself. It seems very poorly designed and also looks as if the entire lower portion of the dash itself will have to be replaced. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I just picked up an 05 . Mine wouldn't catch when I tried to close it. I tried pushing in pretty hard at the spot directly behind the latch and it wouldn't catch. I gave up on it figured it was broken. The next day I was messing around with it and I now get it to close every time. Try reaching all the way to the back/ bottom of the cover and close it by gently pulling it back towards you. Do not put pressure directly on the spot where the latch is. It works on mine. I didn't have a chance to see if this is the recommended technique in the owners manual but mine catchs every time using this method. Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
These ashtray doors can be adjusted by loosening the screws at the back. Kind of a trial & error adjustment. Just hold your tongue just right , then tighten em' up again.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Batch said:
These ashtray doors can be adjusted by loosening the screws at the back. Kind of a trial & error adjustment. Just hold your tongue just right , then tighten em' up again.
What he said.

The latches are a bit finikey. The post on the door has to line up just right. It's the in and out adjustment that counts, side to side not so much.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You need to get the Aux Guage set. GM spent millions of dollars specially designing this guage set to "support" the ashtray.

:lol

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
dougnc said:
You need to get the Aux Guage set. GM spent millions of dollars specially designing this guage set to "support" the ashtray.

:lol

FUNNY STUFF DOUG! :glol

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
On mine the little plastic tip broke off. They had too replace the whole ashtray. Dealer said it happened because it was not lined up right and I slamed it too hard. So be careful when closing it.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
It is a "push-push" type latch, slamming doesn't help and can even damage the parts. The receiver part of the latch can be replaced. Everything has to be aligned to work correctly.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
My latch worked for a long time....then one day it stopped working. I thought maybe it was damaged during the multiple dash removals that I've had done.
But for some reason I wound up pulling the ashtray toward from the back (as mentioned above) and it started latching again. It has worked since then. :)

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
ash tray

may ash tray latch lasted about 3 weeks when i bought in last oct 28 & drove another 2 before winter storage still have not taken it to dealer will wait for some more warranty stuff now today both windows leaking by the roof seam.
still the best ride out there

·
Registered
207 Posts
My ash tray door center post broke off, so to keep it closed I used a large rubber band tied off on the inside.
I know...."cheapster" but I dont use it and it dosent rest on my gauge package anymore :)

Cheers!
Pretzel~

·
Registered
216 Posts
I see no one else has done what I did for 3 weeks...You MUST close the ashtray or the door won't close...

Also, any one realize they used a string to hold the 05's in position? When I put my sirius in I saw it and was flabbergasted (I love that word)!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up an 05 . Mine wouldn't catch when I tried to close it. I tried pushing in pretty hard at the spot directly behind the latch and it wouldn't catch. I gave up on it figured it was broken. The next day I was messing around with it and I now get it to close every time. Try reaching all the way to the back/ bottom of the cover and close it by gently pulling it back towards you. Do not put pressure directly on the spot where the latch is. It works on mine. I didn't have a chance to see if this is the recommended technique in the owners manual but mine catchs every time using this method. Good luck
Thanks!!! I have a 2006 and went out one morning and the compartment was open. I messed around with it for awhile and gave up thinking it was broken, even though I couldn't find anything in the latch that looked wrong. I took it to the dealer today and he said that I may have to replace the lower dash panel for $$$$$$$.
I just went out to the garage and tried your suggestion and it worked first time. Thanks again!!! I am now going to cancel my appointment with the dealer. To be fair he also said that they may be able to fix it without replacing any parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts