Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ashtray Conversion-wider opening

It should say wider opening-I can't edit the title

My Gauge pod kept my ashtray from opening up enough to be useful. Even if it opened it wasn't good for much.
I'm changing my gauges to digital, so it was a good time to do something about the poor use of that space.
My gauges, in my opinion were too far towards the console. I would like for them to sit flatter and blend more, smoother transition(like what Dr. Who did-I included an image of his work).
So with the gauge pod out, I took out the ashtray. Never figured out how to get the cigarette lighter out(until I got out the jig saw).{EDITED to add-there is a special tool to remove the lighter-found it in the service manual)}
I cut out the ashtray(fine metal blade) and the cigarette lighter making a large front opening. It can now be used for storage.
Then I got really brave and cut out a section of the bottom. When it is opened the gauges can go up in that space and the ashtray space becomes very usable.
My wife had given me a man purse years ago. A shoulder bag for , glasses , eye drops, chapstick, phone notebook ect. It was handy but I never took to it.
I still had it, so I cut it apart and used it to line the new center storage compartment(old ashtray).
I used Gorilla glue and that's about it.

Attachments

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,864 Posts
Ok, now it's big enough for a handgun or any other thing you'd like to store "out of sight". One Big problem is, the gauge mounting bracket needs the carpet pad to be cut out so that the gauge housing sits down low enough for the ash tray door to open down completely. A lot of the aftermarket gauge housings are just sitting on the carpet because the mounting bracket was not available to them. Lots of bubble gum fixes went into place, like velcro, double sided tape, and just sitting there. The proper way to allow the ash tray to function properly is to cut the carpet and pad and install the mounting bracket. (it's a hard to get item). We have an OEM unit in Purple and it's "cute"... that's All I have to say about that. Hope this helps you out.
Best Regards, Fuji

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine was installed with the bracket.
I just decided to keep the heat and sound insulation of the padding.
I still wanted to use that space so I chose an alternative method. Obviously, my truck will never be one that brings a fortune because it is low mileage and original, well on the other had, I guess there is some originality about it.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,598 Posts
I see what you finished to convert the ashtray are into storage--i need to know just how to remove the the ashtray modula ot of the dashboard please
thanks for any help
Bob

Here are some hints for reinstalling the ash tray after making a modification:

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
:rolleyes:
OK, I am becoming convinced this is a great (down time) project. I've read and reviewed the associated posts and am leaning on the "mod" that retains the cigarette lighter side. Not sure yet how I will do it, but I kinda like retaining that extra charging port.
When I got my ride, there was already a cord sitting in the glove box that somehow was for hooking up to the radio for an Iphone. I now have an Iphone but not sure if I know what/how to hook up the existing cord/plug as I would likely move it into the new ashtray opening to free up my glove box.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
:rolleyes:
OK, I am becoming convinced this is a great (down time) project. I've read and reviewed the associated posts and am leaning on the "mod" that retains the cigarette lighter side. Not sure yet how I will do it, but I kinda like retaining that extra charging port.
When I got my ride, there was already a cord sitting in the glove box that somehow was for hooking up to the radio for an Iphone. I now have an Iphone but not sure if I know what/how to hook up the existing cord/plug as I would likely move it into the new ashtray opening to free up my glove box.
Does it plug into the Iphone charging port? Just taking a guess here.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Does it plug into the Iphone charging port? Just taking a guess here.
No, it would not plug into my iphone as the connector in the glove box is a narrow (maybe 3/4" long) and it says Simple on the side of it. Prior owner said it was for iphone music and it is somehow connected into the back of my stock radio..........I have no clue as to how to use it.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
No, it would not plug into my iphone as the connector in the glove box is a narrow (maybe 3/4" long) and it says Simple on the side of it. Prior owner said it was for iphone music and it is somehow connected into the back of my stock radio..........I have no clue as to how to use it.
take a look at isimple.com and see if you can find a little info that might help.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I remember some of those early connectors when the ipods first came out. I've since thrown them all away as they don't work with anything in today's market.

·
SSR Believer
1,120 Posts
Ash, per @Stlhotrod and others, it sounds like an older Apple 30 pin connector. Your iPhone probably has a Lightning connector. Apple no longer makes an adapter, but you can still find them on Amazon and eBay (although none of the aftermarket adapters seem to have great ratings). But you could buy an adapter for less than $5 and give it a try:

If that's what it is, it should work through your stereo's AUX input. IOW, open iTunes or Pandora, etc. and start playing music, attach it to the connector and press the CD/AUX button on your radio.

Hope that helps!

But if that's not what it is, go ahead and post a photo of the connector in your glove box and if you still want a connection in your "new" ashtray, there are a multitude of ways to do that these days. ;)

iPod 30 Pin Connector.JPG 30 pin to Ligntning Adapter 1.jpg SSR Radio Aux.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Ash, per @Stlhotrod and others, it sounds like an older Apple 30 pin connector. Your iPhone probably has a Lightning connector. Apple no longer makes an adapter, but you can still find them on Amazon and eBay (although none of the aftermarket adapters seem to have great ratings). But you could buy an adapter for less than $5 and give it a try:

If that's what it is, it should work through your stereo's AUX input. IOW, open iTunes or Pandora, etc. and start playing music, attach it to the connector and press the CD/AUX button on your radio.

Hope that helps!

But if that's not what it is, go ahead and post a photo of the connector in your glove box and if you still want a connection in your "new" ashtray, there are a multitude of ways to do that these days. ;)

View attachment 576410 View attachment 576413 View attachment 576412
:)
Yup, that indeed is what it looks like. I now see what ya mean. I do use Pandora once in a while in the house and on my Harley. Looks like I could get that adapter and then could do the same in the SSR.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
:mad:
Well, these "modification" deals can ofter bring about more hassles than one would want. It took me several attempts to finally get a socket lined up on those two screws that hold the ashtray assy. in place.

Finally, I was able to get them out and then separated the front part from the back and unhooked the lighter socket. Then, somehow I stuck my hand up in the opening just to understand where/how I might be able to retain access to the lighter socket (within) that opening but no longer where it had been.

Somehow, I bumped into a duct channel and it literally fell out of the hole and now I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to get it back where it belongs. Seems to be the duct to the a/c slot just to the right side of the radio.

Anyone know the correct positioning of this duct. Looks to me like the protruding "bump" should face down and the foam surrounded end goes into the back of the dash facing out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Anyone know the correct positioning of this duct. Looks to me like the protruding "bump" should face down and the foam surrounded end goes into the back of the dash facing out.

@moscooter,
Your thinking is correct: appendage down, foam inside dash vent.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
879 Posts
Correct. The job will be easier if you remove the glove box, as you can see and reach right up to where it goes. There are three 7mms on the bottom edge of the glove box.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts