Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
SSR Believer
1,120 Posts
Ash, hadn't thought about the LED light/battery drain issue. Good point. This one addresses that particular problem directly. But of course, the whole installation thing is still a pain, but I'd guess just replacing the one in the former ashtray would be easier than pulling it and R&R the dash outlet. Your call (and your back) of course. ;)

·
Spirited driver!
1,232 Posts
I thought the cig lighter is only live when the key is on and the accessory plug are always on? I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or correct me.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,951 Posts
I thought the cig lighter is only live when the key is on and the accessory plug are always on? I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or correct me.
My Cig lighter socket is always hot and always has been. The Aux power ports are always hot from the factory but @Autoprof was nice enough to figure out a simple way to "fix" that so they go off with the ignition,

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
My Cig lighter socket is always hot and always has been. The Aux power ports are always hot from the factory but @Autoprof was nice enough to figure out a simple way to "fix" that so they go off with the ignition,
:)

Bingo..........That is exactly what I did to mine last year. Followed Autoprofs explanation as to how to convert those two "hot" lighter sockets to (switched) sockets. Since I have a Radar Detector in one slot and often a GPS (Garmin) in the other, having them become switched, made a lot of sense and works for me.

So, you could ask.........why not do the same "drill" for the ashtray socket.??? That remains a possible alternative, but the "Prof" would have to weigh in on how practical that might be.

Meantime, I believe I will pursue getting another lighter socket that will easily accommodate my new adapter.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Yup, I tried pushing those strips along the sides in as far as I could. The adapter as well as the original cigarette lighter both seem to "hang up" going into the socket before they would even get to those strips.

As to the USB Power outlet option, Two problems with that idea. One would be me going thru the extreme pain to jerk that ashtray assy. out all over again to get it wired and thread the socket holder in place. (might could do it without pulling the tray, but that still would leave the other problem (to me).

The adapter I bought looks exactly like the dual USB Power outlet you show. Only mine just inserts into the lighter socket (usually).

BUT..................Both your option as well as the adapter I bought for some reason feel they have to add an LED light to glow 24/7. With my adapter, I can easily pull it out when not needed (once I replace the b.s. socket I now have) but I already have a few other LED lights on the truck that are switches and although I understand the current draw is minimal, all of them together add up and the fewer of them I have the better.

If I park it in the garage and do (not) hook up my Battery tender for two or three days.........when I do, it will take another two or three additional days before the tender turns back to green from amber.;)
Some USB sockets/adapters are available without LEDs and will only draw power when actually charging something. Here’s one:

USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket, 36W Waterproof Quick Charge 3.0 Power Outlet Adapter for 12V/24V Car Boat Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Campers Tractors Truck Golf-Cart etc Amazon.com: USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket, 36W Waterproof Quick Charge 3.0 Power Outlet Adapter for 12V/24V Car Boat Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Campers Tractors Truck Golf-Cart etc

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,951 Posts
Some USB sockets/adapters are available without LEDs and will only draw power when actually charging something. Here’s one:

USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket, 36W Waterproof Quick Charge 3.0 Power Outlet Adapter for 12V/24V Car Boat Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Campers Tractors Truck Golf-Cart etc Amazon.com: USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket, 36W Waterproof Quick Charge 3.0 Power Outlet Adapter for 12V/24V Car Boat Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Campers Tractors Truck Golf-Cart etc
I have added one of those to the header above the mirror and facing the front of the vehicle to power my dash cam which is behind the mirror. In one truck it is disconnected with ignition off and in one it is always on but that will change soon.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts

:rolleyes:
Yeah, getting one without the LED is another option. However in my case with that socket up in the roof of the ashtray, it will be much easier for me to just leave it out loose in the tray and then insert USB plugs (which are directional) meaning they only fit facing one way..........ant then inserting the combo up into the socket. Otherwise, I'd be trying to jamb a little USB cable up into the plugged in adapter and maybe have it the right direction and maybe not and have to take a second shot at it.:)

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Thanks, I just ordered one and sure hope it works.

(y)

Rich..........Just this afternoon, I got in the mail my (EBAY) adapter order. Went out to the garage and plugged it into that cord and then hooked my iphone to it with Pandora playing. Tuned to (aux) on the radio and BINGO, i was able to get my Pandora tunes from the iphone to play thru the truck radio.

Thanks to all for the big tip.:p

·
SSR Believer
1,120 Posts
(y)

Rich..........Just this afternoon, I got in the mail my (EBAY) adapter order. Went out to the garage and plugged it into that cord and then hooked my iphone to it with Pandora playing. Tuned to (aux) on the radio and BINGO, i was able to get my Pandora tunes from the iphone to play thru the truck radio.

Thanks to all for the big tip.:p
Happy to be of service! (y)

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts

OK, this should result in the end of this saga. Today I went to an Auto Parts Store and purchased a cigarette lighter adapter. The one i got is pretty much the same as has been available at lease since the "60's".

This is what I needed since the original lighter socket was for some reason way too tight to easily release a lighter and/or in my case an adapter.

This new lighter socket accepted both a lighter ( which i didn't even care about) and an adapter........which I did and it fit as I expected..........easy in and easy out.

After a few alterations like trimming the black cover that keeps the socket from going thru the hole, the next need was to have a back stop on the other side. I just went ahead and used the "bracket" that came with the new socket. It did not interfere with the closing of the ashtray.

Had to unscrew the new adapter "post" which was there for the (positive) terminal connection. I did not have any idea as to a (hook up) to clamp onto that post. So I unscrewed it and added a terminal post with a short wire connection and then I added a short piece of rubber hose to the "exposed" post as it would be "hot" and I did not want it to be touching any ground source.

Also added a short piece of wire to the ground connection part. Both of these (extensions) gave me the needed length to make my connections (without) having to remove the whole ashtray deal again. Did cost me a lot of pain and suffering to the back of my left wrist and multiple (unneeded) operations of the door lock switch and others as my right elbow kept smacking them.

Attachments

41 - 51 of 51 Posts