Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To modify for XM installation. Looking to buy the entire drop-down assembly....with or without string... PM with price please.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keith - Don't know the price yet from GM. I'm sure it is high. I'll be calling the local parts today to get the retail...

RSSRTOY - Can you shed a little light here?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Are you going to make it look like mine?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
The Roady 2 is about 3/4" thick and looks like this.....

I'll be mounting it so that it kinda stands up at the right angle for viewing.

Mikey
They didn't have the Roady 2 when I was buying....

Why aren't you going with the integrated XM? (the one where the XM info shows up on the radio and you can use the steering wheel controls) I think if I had it to do over, I would do that.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Does the ashtray still close after adding this? Otherwise, how would you be able to see your auxillary gauges?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
artsmart said:
Does the ashtray still close after adding this? Otherwise, how would you be able to see your auxillary gauges?
My ashtray closes fine.....he should be able to do it to.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WOW_FCTR said:
Why aren't you going with the integrated XM? (the one where the XM info shows up on the radio and you can use the steering wheel controls) I think if I had it to do over, I would do that.
The Roady2 was a gift. I have the PAC aux input adapter on order. I was under the impression that this would yeild the display on the radio face..... Am I mistaken? Do I need to pop for a different XM receiver to get the full Monte?

Antenna will go under the plastic dash cover, right by the light sensor at the base of the windshield. I've been told that it gets great reception there. Do I need to be somewhere different?

Mike

Oh, I forgot... No Aux Gauges to worry about in my truck.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
The Roady2 was a gift. I have the PAC aux input adapter on order. I was under the impression that this would yeild the display on the radio face..... Am I mistaken? Do I need to pop for a different XM receiver to get the full Monte?

Antenna will go under the plastic dash cover, right by the light sensor at the base of the windshield. I've been told that it gets great reception there. Do I need to be somewhere different?

Mike

Oh, I forgot... No Aux Gauges to worry about in my truck.
Mike,
I guess the answer is "I don't know". My setup doesn't send anything but sound to the radio. I also put mine in more than 2 years ago before any kind of adapters were out (that I could find).
I hope that someone else might be able to answer this for you.

(my reasoning on questioning the roady 2 is that it has it's own display....well why would it need a display if you could just use the radio? Of course there could be that adapter that you mention that fixes everything....I just don't know.)
My antenna is on the outside (which does scratch the paint under it), but I kept losing reception on tree lined roads with it on the inside.

As a side note....I've just discontinued my XM subscription because I'm not taking long trips to Virginia Beach like I used to and I can usually find good stations at where I'm at now. I won't be uninstalling anything though.....cause I just might change my mind next week :jester

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
As a side note....I've just discontinued my XM subscription because I'm not taking long trips to Virginia Beach like I used to and I can usually find good stations at where I'm at now.
I am surprised you dicontinued it, because I don't travel that much in my SSR, and can get plenty of great stations in the DFW area, but still enjoy some of the other ones available only on XM.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Speaking of ashtray projects. I am going to fit a Nitrous control panel in my ashtray. Attached is a pic of the panel except mine will be labeled Master Arm, Bottle (to turn the valve on), and Heater (for the bottle heater). This guy makes killer custom switches to order also. What do you think? Good luck Mike with the ashtray. Isn't there a thread where a guy totaled his SSR?

http://www.12voltguy.com/catalog1.0.html2.0.html

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Mike in AZ said:

Mike I have the integrated unit in mine, installed myself, will show you how it works on Saturday and also where I mounted the antenna, very simple, very cool, very hidden. I love it.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
OP said:
Mike I have the integrated unit in mine, installed myself, will show you how it works on Saturday and also where I mounted the antenna, very simple, very cool, very hidden. I love it.

Could you please share where you put your antenna, I am about to undertake the same install and any help would be great. I have the antenna mounted on the outside of my first truck and do not like the looks and hate the scratches. Would like to do better on the next install.

Thanks,

Marc

·
OP
8,225 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Could you please share where you put your antenna, I am about to undertake the same install and any help would be great. I have the antenna mounted on the outside of my first truck and do not like the looks and hate the scratches. Would like to do better on the next install.

Thanks,

Marc

Under the fiberglass piece under the windshield where the two pieces meet. There is a metal bracket under the dash that is a perfect place for the magnetic antenna. Do a search on XM, someone posted pics, I didn't take any since they were like the ones already posted.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
bcbear10 said:

Thanks,

Marc

I put my XM antenna on the inside, middle of the dash, as close to the windshield as I could. Works great there. Rumor has it that on some of the newer vette's the antenna is on incorporated on one of the outside mirrors.

And that is my .02

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for info I had the Roady 2 in mine. audio sounded bad poor reception just plane bad... also I have PAC audio adapter and it dose not put your xm info up on your OEM radio. I removed the Roady 2 and Installed the Terk XMDGM 100 took me 2 hours to install now I have the best sound and reception and all the factory radio controls plus the ant is mounted just behind the light sensor under the top of the dash on a OEM metal plate great ground plane for the ant. all most no drop out ever.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Ranger Rick said:
Just for info I had the Roady 2 in mine. audio sounded bad poor reception just plane bad... also I have PAC audio adapter and it dose not put your xm info up on your OEM radio. I removed the Roady 2 and Installed the trek gmdkit took me 2 hours to install now I have the best sound and reception and all the factory radio controls plus the ant is mounted just behind the light sensor under the top of the dash on a OEM metal plate great ground plane for the ant. all most no drop out ever.
Exactly where I mounted my antenna and same install kit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts