Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|
I'm hoping some R owner with a six speed running 456 gears in the rear has plans to attend the Maggie Valley Rally.

If so, I'd really appreciate a chance to take a ride in it while out there to get a feel for how it performs with those gears.

I've located a source up in Raleigh for the gears and the install plus another Raleigh shop that tells me they can handle the speedo modification needed.

Have not scheduled yet to have that done...........pending a chance to catch a ride in one to see if I really want to go with that swap.

Anyone with that setup and going to Maggie..........appreciate a response. Can reciprocate with multiple beers/cocktails/ice cream.......Let me know.:grin2:

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Hope you find someone to ride with. I'm betting you'll enjoy it. But even if the 4:56 is too much, you might consider a 4:11. All our trucks could use a little help with gearing to get the best use of the available power.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,969 Posts
I have 4:10 in my 04 auto.

IF I had Manual I would install 4:56 gears in rear.

Manual has 6 gears. auto only has 4.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
3,760 Posts
No brainer

I am not attending.

However, I have converted my 6 spd. to a 4.56 RE. I would go with that rather than a 4.10RE in a 6 speed. The 6 speeds from the factory are geared higher than the automatics. Though the 6 spd has a heavier duty RE, they had the same factory ratio.

I doubt if they can adjust your speed-o-meter correctly for 4.56. I would strongly recommend you get a tune from Jeremy. He could adjust for the speed-o-meter as well as the tune for no extra $.

IMO the change is quite advantageous in the manual. I did not see any significant change in the mileage.

Dave

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have that setup and would be happy to let you check it out.
I will be staying in Ginas hotel, room 2.
Stop by or call me, I will be arriving Tuesday evening.
Happy to help Jim 727-643-4965.

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
I have a 6 speed but only have 3.73 gear. It does however put over 600 hp to the rear wheels. so its kinda like a 4.56 gear without all the stops at the gas station.:jester

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have that setup and would be happy to let you check it out.
I will be staying in Ginas hotel, room 2.
Stop by or call me, I will be arriving Tuesday evening.
Happy to help Jim 727-643-4965.
:smile2:

Thanks a bunch. We won't get there till Thurs afternoon, but maybe we can hook up Friday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts