Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Aqua Blur Bill
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All !

Just wanted to leave everyone know that I'm thrilled about my new audio upgrade.:wub: The head was replaced with a "Pioneer avic x930bt", the dash adapter plate, the "GMOS01 wiring harness adapter", a "Boyo backup camera", and an additional set of "Bose speakers" to handle the bass push and the power boost with the roof down. :director: It sounds super, and it's really easy to use, it has a great navi, and I have iPod, MP3 or USB, as well as SiriusXM options all available and controlled from the steering wheel or touch-screen (besides AM, FM, CD and DVD !). :D I also had "Simple Engineering's, Blinking 3rd Brake Light" added and HID conversion front light upgrades. :cool Tip of the hat to "WB Exotics" and Brent Bortz woohoo (Reading, PA) for doing all the work - since the combination of electrical wiring and me, together, usually equals FIRE ! :mad2:
Now my wife will be happy because she'll have both Elvis :liebe011: and her Christmas Carols :59: to listen to while we are out doing our Christmas shopping ! :blur:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ah nice that is EXACTLY the head unit I am looking to put in mine. Are there any other parts you had to get for the install? Have any pictures of it installed? How much did the installer charge you? I am debating if I want to tackle it myself or not.

·
Aqua Blur Bill
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah nice that is EXACTLY the head unit I am looking to put in mine. Are there any other parts you had to get for the install? Have any pictures of it installed? How much did the installer charge you? I am debating if I want to tackle it myself or not.
It cost me $1,200.00 - complete! But I'll have to get the bill and "itemize" everything for you.... I know that because of the "Bose Premium Sound" already installed, that it was a real pain in the butt ! Brent is very good at what he does, and he wasn't a real, happy camper with the wiring - but then, he's kind of a perfectionist and really doesn't like to "splice" things, if you know what I mean. And as far as pictures, the only difference you are going to see, is the head itself... everything else is "hidden", just as it should be.... If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post pictures over the weekend - as well as the pricing. I know that there are guys (and gals!) out there that will think that I paid too much to have someone else do the install, but I wanted it done right the first time, and not have to pay him double to fix the mess I would have made - absolutely no confidence when it comes to auto electronics - mechanics, fine... but wiring - just call "911" now !
P.S.: Remember that I also had the lights done while he had it - so they are all included in that price.... He also buffed out the headlights, and completely "detailed" the vehicle, before I got it back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It cost me $1,200.00 - complete! But I'll have to get the bill and "itemize" everything for you.... I know that because of the "Bose Premium Sound" already installed, that it was a real pain in the butt ! Brent is very good at what he does, and he wasn't a real, happy camper with the wiring - but then, he's kind of a perfectionist and really doesn't like to "splice" things, if you know what I mean. And as far as pictures, the only difference you are going to see, is the head itself... everything else is "hidden", just as it should be.... If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post pictures over the weekend - as well as the pricing. I know that there are guys (and gals!) out there that will think that I paid too much to have someone else do the install, but I wanted it done right the first time, and not have to pay him double to fix the mess I would have made - absolutely no confidence when it comes to auto electronics - mechanics, fine... but wiring - just call "911" now !
P.S.: Remember that I also had the lights done while he had it - so they are all included in that price.... He also buffed out the headlights, and completely "detailed" the vehicle, before I got it back.

Ok cool, yea if you are able to get me a list of part numbers he used that would be awesome if it isn't a huge PIA. I can get just the head unit for somewhere around 600 bucks but then all those additional parts add up too. Look forward to the pics!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been eye-balling this radio for awhile too. Decided to hold out for the droid version that pioneer is suppose to be working on.

My boy and I are weighing out sub options now. I have a big system in my pickup that I thought about moving over,but don't want to add all the weight.

·
Aqua Blur Bill
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean you're not going to rip your dash apart to snap some pictures for us? :glol
I LOVE THIS ! ! ! ! :banana
You're SICK :puke: but in a good way ! :D

Actually, I was just talking with Brent this morning, and I may have bigger problems then that.... :cry It seems that "Pioneer" has it's "Authorized Dealers" do "installation videos" for their own people, and/or for their own use on their "Help" web-site. If you have an installation that's, "a little bit different" (such as custom work, odd placement or a "different vehicle") and you submit it to them, and if they elect to allow you to do it, they will "authorize" you to do it "for them"... and, in return for you doing a video documentation of the install, they will bill you out at half-price for all components used... which they recommend you pass on to the consumer. :deal:

HOWEVER... here's the problem, it becomes their property ! The install and the documentation thereof is proprietary, and no part of it can be blah-blah-blah... you know how it goes, you've heard it enough from every televised football, baseball, basketball and hockey game ! :nono So I'm not so sure what I'll actually be able to post from all of this.... Brent is going to find out for me, and then we'll go from there.... Again, I plan to post the "in-dash photo" and attempt to get under-dash photos and whatnot... but I don't need a great job at a great price turning into an expensive law suit, if you know what I mean.... The additional speakers are hidden up under that dash also... and I have absolutely no idea how he got them to where they are.... I will do what I can, but "NO !" :blush-anim-cl: I'm not going to rip the dash apart to snap some pictures ! :glol LOL ! :blur:

·
Aqua Blur Bill
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pioneer Install

OK... here we go....
First, leave me apologize right now for the lack of "computer skills"... and, "YES", I do tech support for a software company. With that being said, I apparently don't know squat about taking pictures with a digital camera and then transferring them to my computer.
Second, as I've previously stated, I have been somewhat hampered by what I will term as "legal, contractual obligations" that I just can't violate - my bank account won't allow it.
Third, I have tried to be as thorough as I possibly can, but I can't even imagine what-all I will miss here, so if there are any questions, I will do my very best to answer whatever I can - if you only ask them....
Fourth, again with the pics - I took about ten (10) but this is all could find that transferred into my computer... and, as an addendum to this - in reference to "xoxoxo Bruce", my wife (who originally actually hated this vehicle) informed me that, "...if I even attempted to start taking things apart, I'd better put a sleeping bag in the back, because that's where I'll be sleeping !" And since you know that the temperature in our area has recently become "average", that has absolutely no appeal to me !
Here we go:
I list absolutely no prices, and take absolutely no responsibility for typos and/or any additional materials or supplies that might be needed for a complete install - nor am I positive that this list is "all-inclusive", and/or will be accommodating FOR ALL SSRs. This list will give you a general idea of what will work; but, depending on any modifications that may have already been made, you should do your own homework to make sure that no "wire-splicing" has already been made....
Also, please remember that any "upgrades", such as "remote-start", and upgraded or modified alarm system, and/or simply the difference between the "factory-installed standard" audio system and the "factory-installed Bose Premium" audio system makes a world of difference for wiring and controls....
Pioneer AVIC x930bc Head
Dash Adapter Plate (2005 Chevy SSR compatible)
GMOS 01 Adapter Wiring Harness
Boyo Back-up Cam and wiring set
CD-IU51V iPod/USB Interface Cable
ND-TMC10 Traffic Tuner
TS-A878 Speakers (pair)
Add-on Speaker wiring kit (generic)
Again, make sure, at all times, to specify if you do, or do not have, the "Bose Premium" system already installed; and, if you do, or do not, want your steering wheel controls to function (in some instances, an additional adapter may be required)
If you can afford it - I would highly recommend replacing the "Boyo Back-up Cam" with the "Pioneer ND-BC20PA" Camera/Park Assist package (I can foresee me replacing the Boyo with this, in the Spring - the Boyo is great, and mounts above the license plate,, while this unit mounts differently, but it's just that this package is "top-of-the-line", with park-assist.
As far as the Sirius (SiriusXM) radio head, that's completely up to you... but remember that once it's correctly and completely installed, you won't have to see it, it will be controlled off the "Pioneer Screen" - the bigger problem will be the antenna placement - so decide where you intend to
place the antenna BEFORE you make your purchase, because there are a variety of antennas, and you placement may be a determining factor.
And, again remember, once installed properly, EVERYTHING should be controlled off the steering wheel controls and/or the touch-screen of your "radio" head... which means the you can hide everything else, such as your iPod/USB/whatever.
Generally speaking, the glove box is a great place to "hide" your peripherals; but depending on what you have, the "coin tray" is a great place for some iPods (the "Touch" and the "Phone" won't fit)... you can replace the dash cup-holder with an additional "coin tray", and for those who don't smoke, and see the "ash-tray" drop-down as a complete wast of space, with a little bit of modification, it can be used as a great area for almost anything, and contains a "power-source".
I hope this helps, but please remember that I DID NOT DO THE INSTALL ! I HAD A PROFESSIONAL DO IT ! If I cut myself, I could stitch myself up (and already have); but I wouldn't even consider doing it to/for my Wife and/or kids... this is my Baby... and I'm sure that there a lot of you out there that know exactly what I mean ! Now, if I could just convince my Wife to leave me buy another one ! :blur:
P.S.: If I can figure out what the heck I did (or didn't do !) with the photos - or if I can get my Wife to do it - I'll try to get more photos posted... but I must tell you that what you see is what I've got - an extremely professional installation.... The only things you don't see are my "SiriusXM radio head" and my iPod (Nano) that are in my glove box (along with my wife's cigarettes and sunglasses !

Attachments

·
Aqua Blur Bill
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great! Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out for us!
No thanks required or necessary ! You have no idea just how much time I spent here just before, and for weeks, after I purchased my baby, a few months ago. And if it wasn't for what I read here from all you guys (and gals) before me, I would have never bought it !

And as a side-note, there is actually an even more expensive Pioneer head that is, pretty-much, all-inclusive.... If you do a search for this head, and go to the "Pioneer" web-site, it will list the more expensive head, as well as all the options I listed. :blur:

·
Registered
255 Posts
No thanks required or necessary ! You have no idea just how much time I spent here just before, and for weeks, after I purchased my baby, a few months ago. And if it wasn't for what I read here from all you guys (and gals) before me, I would have never bought it !

And as a side-note, there is actually an even more expensive Pioneer head that is, pretty-much, all-inclusive.... If you do a search for this head, and go to the "Pioneer" web-site, it will list the more expensive head, as well as all the options I listed. :blur:
Hmm I wonder what other features it could have in addition to what the 930 has??

·
Aqua Blur Bill
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so...

OK, so... this is one of those times to say, "...I wish I knew what I know now, before...!"
No, there's nothing wrong with the audio... but I gotta' tell ya', this thing is really freakin' me out ! If it's installed properly, the things this unit can do are pretty impressive !
My advice, to anyone who may care, or is considering this unit, to go on-line and to read (yes - I used that 4-letter word !) the "Operation Manual". I'm sure you will be shocked at what-all this thing can do !
I'm also sure that there are other units out there that can do the same things... and maybe even more - so I am in no way "endorsing" this unit.... However, what I am recommending is that, whatever unit you may be interested in; if you are going to make this kind of investment, and then take the time to do the install yourself - or have someone else do it for you - that it would be very beneficial to know what you are getting yourself into, before you do it ! I thought I did, but apparently I didn't do enough !
If you are into "geeky-stuff", this unit is sweet, and the navi does a whole host of "cosmic" stuff. And you even have the ability to use "voice-control" for everything ! All you have to do is, set it up, and then, just tell it what you want it to do... tell it a song (what album, what group, what artist, whatever) you want it to play off your iPod, or what song on your CD, or what station you want to hear, who you want to call, where you want to go - and it works off your voice commands. I will admit that I'm curious to see what problems I run into with the "voice-control" with the roof down, but, hey, I'll live with it....
Again, I couldn't be happier.
For those into DVDs = it has a great viewing screen/picture !
For those that want a great sound = completely customizable !
For those who want to use their iPod, USB, memory card, SiriusXM = you won't be disappointed !
For those into security = removable face-plate controls ! (and other stuff)
For those into the Navi System = live update is "the bomb" !
...and for those who may just be looking to replace the radio and/or the CD player - it is a single CD player (not a 6-disk player), but it will certainly get the job done for you = it's super.
One thing I will be changing is the back-up cam... the unit I got is nice, works great and does what it's supposed to - and more... however, the unit the "Pioneer" web-site recommends (under "accessories" tab) is incredable... and there is an even better unit out there with different back-up sensors and a Hi Def cam... because we all have our toys ! LOL ! :blur:

·
Daily Driver
8,897 Posts
It's easy to get carried away with capability. Most of the electronic modern marvels I own, will do a lot of neat tricks to brag to my friends about. But in reality, I never use most of the features.

I figure anything I put in the truck, should be to free me up from things that divert my attention from driving. For instance, replacing the map with a tomtom, lets me pay more attention to the split second changes around me.

If your traveling partner is less than enthusiastic about taking the long way home on a warm evening, these devices can help amuse them while you carve the canyons. But the thought that the guy in the oncoming lane, doing 70 mph, might be playing a Debbie Does Dallas DVD on his dashboard, is beyond scary. :eek

It's a personal choice, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone that wants lots of bells and whistles. But thinking about what you need, will really use, might save you some money. For example, I needed a brake controller for my pickup. The controller everyone raved about, and had been a top choice for years, was replaced by a new model with added features that looked like sales gimmicks to me. Suddenly that model that was so well liked could be had for half price, about a third of the shiny new model, and does what I need just as well.

·
Aqua Blur Bill
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No truer words were ever spoken ! I agree with you, 100% And if my earlier diatribe led you to believe otherwise, please forgive me.
The gist of what I was trying to say was that I should have done a lot more research then I actually did. Because, truth be told, you are right in the statement about never using the "bells and whistles" !
I wanted a good-sounding unit, that fit (professionally), was easy to operate, and I could use my iPod with... and the back-up camera was specifically for my driveway and when I park, at home, because of the neighborhood kids playing, and leaving things lay around.
I seriously doubt that I will even attempt to use the other stuff... I just wanted to leave people know that it was available on this unit. And - again - to remind everyone to "do your homework" before you buy.... This unit is expensive - and I really didn't "need" all this stuff....
And as for the guy coming the other way - scares the hell outta' me... and with the roads in our area - and you know exactly what I mean - it happens so quickly ! Thanks ! :blur:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
OK, so... this is one of those times to say, "...I wish I knew what I know now, before...!"
No, there's nothing wrong with the audio... but I gotta' tell ya', this thing is really freakin' me out ! If it's installed properly, the things this unit can do are pretty impressive !
My advice, to anyone who may care, or is considering this unit, to go on-line and to read (yes - I used that 4-letter word !) the "Operation Manual". I'm sure you will be shocked at what-all this thing can do !
I'm also sure that there are other units out there that can do the same things... and maybe even more - so I am in no way "endorsing" this unit.... However, what I am recommending is that, whatever unit you may be interested in; if you are going to make this kind of investment, and then take the time to do the install yourself - or have someone else do it for you - that it would be very beneficial to know what you are getting yourself into, before you do it ! I thought I did, but apparently I didn't do enough !
If you are into "geeky-stuff", this unit is sweet, and the navi does a whole host of "cosmic" stuff. And you even have the ability to use "voice-control" for everything ! All you have to do is, set it up, and then, just tell it what you want it to do... tell it a song (what album, what group, what artist, whatever) you want it to play off your iPod, or what song on your CD, or what station you want to hear, who you want to call, where you want to go - and it works off your voice commands. I will admit that I'm curious to see what problems I run into with the "voice-control" with the roof down, but, hey, I'll live with it....
Again, I couldn't be happier.
For those into DVDs = it has a great viewing screen/picture !
For those that want a great sound = completely customizable !
For those who want to use their iPod, USB, memory card, SiriusXM = you won't be disappointed !
For those into security = removable face-plate controls ! (and other stuff)
For those into the Navi System = live update is "the bomb" !
...and for those who may just be looking to replace the radio and/or the CD player - it is a single CD player (not a 6-disk player), but it will certainly get the job done for you = it's super.
One thing I will be changing is the back-up cam... the unit I got is nice, works great and does what it's supposed to - and more... however, the unit the "Pioneer" web-site recommends (under "accessories" tab) is incredable... and there is an even better unit out there with different back-up sensors and a Hi Def cam... because we all have our toys ! LOL ! :blur:
Anyone considering this head unit needs to verify instead of trust. DO NOT read the Pioneer Operating Manual to get info on the 930bt model (it isn't accurate). The info above is also inaccurate (as an example, the 910 does but the 930bt model does not have voice control, at least the one I installed doesn't). Read reviews from reputable sites and ask questions in their forums, that is the best way to determine what a head unit will do, what it won't do, and if it will do what you want it to do. Assuming the 930bt head unit will have features the lesser Pioneer models have is a mistake. Trusting Pioneer's specs is also a mistake. The 930bt does have some impressive features, also some impressive drawbacks. If I did this install again it would be with a different head unit.

·
Aqua Blur Bill
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excellent Rebuttal - Excellent Points !

Very interesting... thank you !

My posts have been done in an effort to help... and if that has not been the case, then I apologize !

I, again repeat, that I did not do the install myself - I had a professional do it.... He ordered all the components and he did all the work.... And I will even go as far as to say - to some degree - that this "install" was actually "supplemented" by "Pioneer" (please refer to post# 07)... but not directly, and certainly not as to procure my endorsement !

I will also agree that, in reading the "online manual" for this particular unit, that it actually does indicate some "features" that apparently "shouldn't exist" on this particular model. The information given with the purchase was that it was the, "All-new 2011 upgraded model", with several additional features included, and having the "bugs" worked out of the previous version(s)".

I, however, would again like to point out - that I had a "professional" do the installation - a person who does this type of work for a living - and, according to his customers, (and me), "he's very good at it !" That, actually, was the biggest part of my "install problem" (the length of time it took to get it "right")... for him to get everything (and more) to work the way that "Pioneer" suggests that it does.

I have also indicated - maybe not stressing it enough, but indicated that there wee several additional components needed to complete the install the way he wanted it to be - and what he wanted was exactly what he promised me it would/could do....

You will get absolutely no argument from me, since we are actually recommending the exact same thing to all that read this - to DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST ! If you say it's junk - I would disagree... but the way I take what you are saying; you have actually done one (or more) installations, working with this particular product - and you are telling all to do more research then to just believe the "propaganda" spewed forth by the manufacturer - and to further warn people that the manual (online or otherwise) for this particular product is, at the very least, misleading - and more likely, misrepresenting... or outright wrong !

Again, I would agree with this assessment; except to make note that, because of my installer, mine does do what he told me it would do... and does exactly what I wanted it to do. :liebe011: :blur:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would be interested in the shortcomings Zoom is referring to? The x930BT seems to have solid reviews everywhere I look? I was considering one of the Kenwood units and it was just the opposite, negative reviews everywhere.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts