Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not wash my new SSR in an automatic car wash, after trying two, the first night I got it home. Anyone know why?

I picked up my redline at a dealer about three hours away Thursday night. Less than halfway home I HIT A HAILSTORM!!! I rushed for the first underpass I could get to, but by then I'd driven through 1/2 mile of pelting. I couldn't detect any damage with all the rain and then as I drove into dry, it was too filthy.

Arriving home after midnight I was exhausted (couldn't sleep the previous night excited about my new truck), but I knew I wouldn't sleep till I washed it to view any damage.

Both auto car washes failed me. As I drove up to the bumper the "stop" light never came on and the wash never did anything but the underside as I approached. I was terrified I might have been hit by the wash arm at first, but it just never moved. The two washes are completely different, but neither worked. I expect to wash it by hand from now on anyway, but I am curious why this happened. And how can I get my stinkin' $9.50 back?

By the way...the body is fine...whew!

·
Registered
468 Posts
While an automated car wash is not ideal, there are newer automated washes that work great. A filling station near my home just installed one that does not have a pressure plate at all - the wheel sensor is the "electric eye" type - there's nothing that contacts your wheels at all, which is ideal. Shop around - you might find one as well.

I haven't got the guts to let my SSR go through one of those washes that "travel" the car along through the wash, which is what many of the full service wash places have. I'm sure they've sent Escalades through with wider rims than on the SSR, but I still can't bring myself to chance it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ty

Thanks, jwt. I hope to never use an auto wash again. I plan on hand washing and using the Zaino products I read about on this site. My kit should be in by next weekend...hope the weather's as niceas this weekend was.

By the way, our SSRs are only 25 apart...cool huh. Redline, too?

------------------

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hmm. My math comes to 315 apart, but that's still close enough, eh?

Redline Red 1SB. No additional options other than what came with the 1SB package, however. I'll be adding the cargo net package and running boards this spring. I thought the "saddlebags" seemed cheap, and after seeing other owner's comments, I'm glad I left them off.

I do wish somewhat I would have purchased the carpet package in the bed area. Oh, Well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Watch those car washes

This link is from an official checy site:

http://www.chevylaunch.com/pdfFrame.asp

I hope it works.

Anyway, they say you can easily damage the rims in a car wash with the guide rails.

In fact my SSR came in with a blown tire and scratched rim from the car carrier ride.

Enjoy the rides.

Mike

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
You can buy the rear carpet treatment from the dealer if you did not order it as original equipment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
car washes

Besides rim damage, these are apparently a beadless rim. You could potentially have your tire dis-mounted by the rail. I was given a caution at delivery.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I have talked to the auto carrier truck drivers. They have to be awful careful when loading and unloading SSR's due to the wide stance and rims. The driver indicated that the SSR's are beautiful and fun to load but it's just another vehicle to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts