Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that darn manuel 6 times and still can't get the darn headlites to stay off during the day! I have automatic ones, does everyone? And how do you turn them off? Don't need them don't want them! I click it over to parking lites when I drive during the day. But that looks like I'm trying to draw attention to myself! :cool :banghead
GR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
The lights that come on during the day are not your regular lights, they are daytime running lights. The only way I know of turning them off is, start your car, put it in drive, pull up on the emergency brake and then put the emergency brake back down. That will turn off you DRL's. Of course, the next time you start up you will have to repeat the process.
 

·
SSR Pit Crew
Joined
·
1,742 Posts
hey lloger,

I have found that even after you are driving the SSR, you can pull up on the parking brake until the alarm bell dings and the daytime running lights will stay off until you turn the SSR off.

Hope this helps you too GR!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lloger said:
The lights that come on during the day are not your regular lights, they are daytime running lights. The only way I know of turning them off is, start your car, put it in drive, pull up on the emergency brake and then put the emergency brake back down. That will turn off you DRL's. Of course, the next time you start up you will have to repeat the process.
Thanks!! It works!!! :thumbs :thumbs
GR
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,596 Posts
Amber lights

Ghostrider said:
... I click it over to parking lites when I drive during the day. But that looks like I'm trying to draw attention to myself! :cool :banghead
GR
Hey nothing wrong with amber parking lights. A lot of GM vehicles use the amber lights instead of white DRLs. I happen to think the SSR looks much better with the parking lights on.

My 2 cents...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
If you want to keep your baby out of the collision shop leave the lights on . The insurance institute along with the D.O.T all say your chances of aday time collision decrease by 75% if your car has D.L.R .
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
First off my Truck is YELLOW Ummmm? I think they are going to see me with or with out my lights :lol:lol:lol:lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I am one of those who doesn't like lights on unless I turn them on. On my Z71 I found a fuse in the fuse panel marked DRL, removed it and PRESTO! - no more lights. I don't know if SSR is wired the same way, but for those of you who might be so inclined, take a look.
I have no doubt the lights help accident wise, but I can't help but wonder, why hasn't the government forced ALL manufacurers to employ this? (and am thankful they haven't....yet).
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,596 Posts
DRLs or No DRLs?

Blue6T9 said:
... I have no doubt the lights help accident wise, but I can't help but wonder, why hasn't the government forced ALL manufacturers to employ this? (and am thankful they haven't....yet).
For those that haven't traveled through Canada might not know this but they have a law that requires ALL new vehicles to have DRLs. Thus every manufacturer that sells cars and trucks in Canada has to have the DRLs as standard equipment.

It is my understanding the GM is the only one of the Big Three that instituted it across the board! I don't understand why other manufactures haven't at least made the DRLs an option since US laws don’t require it yet. I also believe that all motorized vehicles that operate on public roadways should use DRLs not just motorcycles.

My 2 cents worth...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Great more regulations shoved down our throats! If you don't want to get into a accident don't drive!
Thank you very much. Marc you just lost my vote for president.
Ken 2 cents
 

·
Original SSR Centerfold
Joined
·
3,146 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I live in a state where you can get a ticket for driving a car without wearing a seatbelt but you can legally ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet. :banghead
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,596 Posts
Your right to choose ON or OFF!

Ken Thurm said:
Great more regulations shoved down our throats! If you don't want to get into a accident don't drive!
Thank you very much. Marc you just lost my vote for president.
Ken 2 cents
Hi Ken, all I suggested was ...
Marc NY said:
... I also believe that all motorized vehicles that operate on public roadways should use DRLs not just motorcycles.
Yes I do believe DRLs should be made available or standard on all vehicles! Howerver, the operator would still maintain the "ability" to circumvent or turn them off. BTW: As you know, GM gives you a method to turn off or over-ride your DRL feature.
 

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
Joined
·
549 Posts
Having the park brake applied 1 click to defeat the DRL is not a good idea since it will cause the rear brakes to rub all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Many Countries Have Them

Marc NY said:
For those that haven't traveled through Canada might not know this but they have a law that requires ALL new vehicles to have DRLs. Thus every manufacturer that sells cars and trucks in Canada has to have the DRLs as standard equipment.

It is my understanding the GM is the only one of the Big Three that instituted it across the board! I don't understand why other manufactures haven't at least made the DRLs an option since US laws don’t require it yet. I also believe that all motorized vehicles that operate on public roadways should use DRLs not just motorcycles.

My 2 cents worth...

:rant
For what it is worth, many countries have DRL requirements and the USA is really the exception.

From a safety perspective, there is no question that DRL's reduce accident rates just like seat belts reduce injury when used properly (i.e. worn) when you do have the proverbal "accident".... WTS, not sure why so many people do not want their DRL's on in the daytime as you cannot even see them went you are driving.... they certainly are not as intrusive as the seat belt (which I hate but wear because I have experienced the value of the seatbelt/airbag thing the gov't crammed down on us)......

BTW, I also hate wearing my helmet on my motorcycle but do it because I know it if really foolish not to despite preferring the wind in what little hair I have left....

:seeya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Hot Wheels said:
If you hold the emergency brake button in and pull up a half inch while in gear the lights will go out. :thumbs
After you do the above you return the emergency brake to completly off position. :seeya
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top