Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 auto no performance off the line WOT in shop 17 days ( IN MAUI ) anyways my GM mechanic has been conversing with the GM tech line guys about the problem of not being able to smoke the tires with or without traction control on/off same flat response no power to break the tires from standing start WOT they have admitted there are ALOT of open case files relating to this with a ( NO FIX) attachment anyone else with this problem with there 05 auto ..........hmmmmm

I

·
0 Posts
yeah i take my TC off when i am trying something crazy. it has been raining alot here. my friend was behind me when we were leaving work. i pulled into the center of the road past the stop sign and lit em up on the water. i didnt go sideways but he was rather impressed with torque :D

i also tested the system with TC on cuz i wanna know how it works. i like the system! it will save my @ss one day.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
auto tarc control

i work at chevy dealer in honolulu.my best tech says that its designed to not let the torque kick from dead stop to save the driveline from shock.were driving comp control trucks now not good old fashion hot rods.love my truck will drive it as hard as it will take,ray

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have an '05 Auto

Jetcop20 said:
My 05 auto no performance off the line WOT in shop 17 days ( IN MAUI ) anyways my GM mechanic has been conversing with the GM tech line guys about the problem of not being able to smoke the tires with or without traction control on/off same flat response no power to break the tires from standing start WOT they have admitted there are ALOT of open case files relating to this with a ( NO FIX) attachment anyone else with this problem with there 05 auto ..........hmmmmm
I have never heard a sound out of those back tires w or w/o the TC. It comes out of a dead standstill very quickly, but can't break loose those big, fat tires. :cuss

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,052 Posts
TC system tested

Have tested this only once so far:

TC off, brake mashed, throttle applied until tires beak loose for 2 seconds......

Brake release, full throttle and immediate hookup........

Leaves marks for a few feet, but no smoke or sound.

Repeated with TC on and the computer pulls the engine back as soon as the tires break loose. I can understand the "bog" that has been reported now with TC on.

TC system working as it should. Will repeat at about 5K miles when things loosen up a little.

Always up for testing something.....

Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
psst, ya got 10" wide freakin tires....you don't really expect to break them loose without line locking?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,052 Posts
Yeah, thanks digital. You're not telling me anything new. Preloading the drive line does put you a little higher on the launch torque curve, but I just don't feel the need to do it.

Do ya think that antilock brakes actually let the rear tires slip a little when power braking? I think so, but like I said, it just doesn't matter to me as I get older....

The point I was making was that even with the most hostile launch possible, the rears always seem to hook up nicely.

The only time I get any tire noise is when the tranny downshifts at about 35 mph and I let up on the gas a little and it upshifts with a chirp. I know that I am off the torque mangement schedule at that point and I am not surprised by a hard upshift. I'm teaching myself to avoid that particular event, as I think it is really hard on the tranny.

Regards,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,052 Posts
Digital - I think the rear suspension design on these trucks is absolutely perfect. The torque transmission is not wasted in twisting the body or winding anything up, like my old leaf spring rear ends used to. Remember traction bars????

I would be surprised if any of our automatic tranny trucks could actually lite 'em up on anything less than a wet road.

Off to bed.....

Have a good week,

Mike

P.S. Let me add that my '06 has about 150 rpm higher stall speed in the torque converter than the '05 I was driving. It does turn them over a little more than the '05 on a power brake.....

Mikey

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooook Thanks

Thanks to all who replied Im gonna put in a 3200 stall torque converter and see what happens ...got a great gm mechanic ..... if it breaks it gets fixed Ill let ya all know as I get into this SMOK'N da TIRES quest damn near 400 horse and 405llbs of torque and I will get it to the ground............

·
Registered
216 Posts
I HAVE found out it's real easy to smoke em to the rims if you pull out in low to cross a lane of traffic, gas into your lane and never let off....just remember to counter steer!!!! :lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
ron dickson

my black over red vin#1422 has 420hp 452tq to the rear wheels and will spin those big old tires all the way through 1st gear and even a couple of seconds in 2nd gear. with this situation launching agressively becomes an art, one i might comment i have not mastered yet regards ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts