Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to ride the German Autobahn with a friend in his BMW SUV. It was very cool cruising at around 115 mph in a matter-of-fact way. I couldn't help thinking how fun it would be to do that in Ilsa.

Has anyone every driven their R on the Autobahn?

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
Does a buck twenty on our country roads count???

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,736 Posts
I think there are at least 2 or 3 SSR owners in Germany that are on the forum. It would be interesting to hear their driving experiences on the autobahn in their SSR.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
Yes Auggie, but you have to get a cop to verify it. LOL

Dave

Here is a riddle for you. He was in the truck with me but I was alone!

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts
I had the opportunity to ride the German Autobahn with a friend in his BMW SUV. It was very cool cruising at around 115 mph in a matter-of-fact way. I couldn't help thinking how fun it would be to do that in Ilsa.

I know Bagger had his 6 speed :blue: over in Germany for a couple years. Maybe he will check in here.

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
Just remember, if you're cruising 115 on the Autobahn keep a sharp eye on your mirror. When someone flashes their lights get the hell out of the way of the fast cars, they'll be on you in seconds. :yesnod

·
Registered
3,374 Posts

Hell they go almost that fast on I 4 every day here in Florida :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
I've been 220K in Benz and 240K in an Audi A6 and a TT.

Was running 200 K in the TT and got passed by a VW Bug. Ran into the Bug at a fuel station and found out he was running a turbo,Porsche engine for power.

I enjoyed driving the AB, but after 30 days driving in Germany and then coming back home and driving on our roads took several weeks to re adjust to the slower speeds.

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
385 Posts
I believe the SSR is electronically limited to 125 mph. Now if that was switched off and you changed gear ratios and wheel & tyre sizes I guess that could be increased.
I am 5.3 stock with no extra spoilers front or back, but at high speeds (very) I feel the steering gets a bit twitchy.

I had a jaguar xkr on autobahn this summer that top out at 165 mph. Hard to get a good run at it as the roads are busy!

That was eating up miles fast !

Ireland SSR

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
I had some work done on mine and then had the super tune dyno tune done. They said along with other things they took the top end limiter out so it will go as fast as it can , and as fast as the tires are good for and as fast as I can go if the deer stay out of the road. 120 mph is good enough for me on our crappy roads.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Can someone chime in here that's had a Jeremy Tune? Did he remove the speed limitation as a matter of course when he tuned our cars? Just curious.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts
I know Joe asked me where to set the limiter when he tuned mine. We decided on something that would not allow me to blow the engine in 4th. He said that would keep it from shutting down if I had it on a Dyno and that it would not go that fast on the road due to drag anyway. I have seen my speedo at 135, fast enough for me!

Reactions: Auggie Doggie

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I believe the SSR is electronically limited to 125 mph. Now if that was switched off and you changed gear ratios and wheel & tyre sizes I guess that could be increased.
I am 5.3 stock with no extra spoilers front or back, but at high speeds (very) I feel the steering gets a bit twitchy.

I had a jaguar xkr on autobahn this summer that top out at 165 mph. Hard to get a good run at it as the roads are busy!

That was eating up miles fast !

Ireland SSR
Tuning SSR's I have seen the speed limiter set at 115 and 125. Depended on the year and trans. My 06 was at 115 and the 6 speeds at 125. Seen 03-04's at 125. Doesn't make sense as to why they would drop it on some and not the others.

Mine now will do 140 with the top down and still have more left to go. Should hit 155-160 at redline.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts