Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used an automatic car wash ? The type that will wash the bottom of your vehicle but does not use brushes. Here in Iowa they use a chemical on the roads to prevent icing. I would really to make sure everything is clean.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I've never had mine through the automatic car washes for fear of scrubbing a rim in the tracks of the wash. On my other vehicles I have used the washes and had no problem.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Timbrr said:
Has anyone used an automatic car wash ? The type that will wash the bottom of your vehicle but does not use brushes. Here in Iowa they use a chemical on the roads to prevent icing. I would really to make sure everything is clean.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
One Word, NO! Read your owners manual...

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
drmride04slings said:
If you ask the attendant they can turn the wheel scrubbers off and you wont scrape a wheel

It's not the wheel scrubbers, its the rail the tire is in to guide it through the wash.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
no auto washes for ssr's i have two semi circle gouges in drivers side wheels and it did not have tracks to follow,just plates to sit in and the wash moved back and forth.all hand wash here on out for me

·
Registered
740 Posts
I wouldn't. I use the manual coin washes. The secret is to get a winter wiper blade, one of those all covered with rubber. That allows you to squegee the water off the flat areas before it spots.

I learned that on here!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would not do the car wash. In the threads dated back a couple of years other peolpe have done it and they have messed up there wheels. You can take a water hose and get the same effect as the car wash. The only thing they do is spray pressure water under you car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine was sent thru an automatic wash once. BY THE DEALER!!!. And they trashed the left front rim that was after market chrome. It was on a jack stand for a month while they were getting it re-chromed.

NO CAR WASHES !!!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I'm lazy....I've used auto car washes.

You definitely have to know whether the tire guide will scratch your rims or not.
When you say does not use brushes, are you talking touchless or cloth strips? It's funny but I don't like those cloth strips because they look filthy....probably from picking up the dirt on my front grill.

But I'm not really worried about swirls and things like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts