Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonight I noticed that from 1st to 2nd it shifts a little hard. Anyone else have this problem? Just from being a car guy my instincts say torque convertor (but it isn't slipping) or valve body possibly? 12k miles on it.

2004 chevy ssr.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
359 Posts
tonight I noticed that from 1st to 2nd it shifts a little hard. Anyone else have this problem? Just from being a car guy my instincts say torque convertor (but it isn't slipping) or valve body possibly? 12k miles on it.

2004 chevy ssr.
Someone may have put a Corvette servo or updated valve body in it in its16 years. Fairly common modification to improve shift, make it crisper. Do you have all of the service & modification records? Never experienced torque converter causing that issue, don't believe it is locked in the lower gears.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone may have put a Corvette valve body in it in its16 years. Fairly common modification to improve shift, make it crisper. Do you have all of the service & modification records? Never experienced torque converter causing that issue, don't believe it is locked in the lower gears.
I have a book of records that shows a lot of things done, but obviously there are things done that are missing. I guess this could be a possibility.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,407 Posts
tonight I noticed that from 1st to 2nd it shifts a little hard.

2004 chevy ssr.

Tuckerred's idea is definitely a possibility . . .

Shortly after "adopting" The Doophus, at the recommendation of many SSR Fanatics, I opted to have the Corvette Servo installed for a more performance shift.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tuckerred's idea is definitely a possibility . . .

Shortly after "adopting" The Doophus, at the recommendation of many SSR Fanatics, I opted to have the Corvette Servo installed for a more performance shift.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !
I guess it is possible!

·
Registered
270 Posts

2004 chevy ssr.
Mine does it also. Done so since I have owned it. Drove several other before buying the one i have It seems to be a trait of the car

Layne12gun

·
SSR Believer
1,564 Posts
Same here, Corvette servo and Joe Delano tune. Shift is very positive, could be considered "hard" I guess, feels more "solid" to me, and from all I've read, to be expected.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
With such low miles on the SSR, I might suspect that the Mass Airflow Sensor is in need of cleaning. The transmission will shift harder if the mass airflow is higher, like at full throttle.... if the sensor “thinks” it has higher flow, it could cause this result......

Please tell me that you have a stock air filter and not an oil wetted one.......

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With such low miles on the SSR, I might suspect that the Mass Airflow Sensor is in need of cleaning. The transmission will shift harder if the mass airflow is higher, like at full throttle.... if the sensor “thinks” it has higher flow, it could cause this result......

Please tell me that you have a stock air filter and not an oil wetted one.......

Mike
I'll check tomorrow, but I doubt it. Most likely the stock air filter.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts

2004 chevy ssr.
Mike, I have a Corvette servo in mine. I'll take you for a ride Saturday and show you the difference. Robert

·
Registered
239 Posts

2004 chevy ssr.
I have the same problem. A very hard shift from first to second. It starts out great and after 20 minutes the hard shifting starts and doesn't stop til I turn the engine off and restart it. It annoys me enough that I very seldom drive the truck. It has turned into a garage queen which I said I'd never do.
John F.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I have the same problem. A very hard shift from first to second. It starts out great and after 20 minutes the hard shifting starts and doesn't stop til I turn the engine off and restart it. It annoys me enough that I very seldom drive the truck. It has turned into a garage queen which I said I'd never do.
John F.
Well that sucks. Is there not a shop in your area that you can take it to for assistance?

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Most of these hard shift complaints are either related to the mass air flow sensor or a slip detected in the trans internally. With such low miles I agree with Mike that it is most likely MAF associated. A good scan tool may show a code that will help point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most of these hard shift complaints are either related to the mass air flow sensor or a slip detected in the trans internally. With such low miles I agree with Mike that it is most likely MAF associated. A good scan tool may show a code that will help point you in the right direction.
I did throw my scanner on the truck and it showed no codes. Gonna check the MAF

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,527 Posts
When I replaced my engine rear seal at 120,000 miles, had tranny rebuilt. Was told it was 75% wore out, just like me.

I had changed to synthetic oil years ago, which dropped tranny temp by 10degrees.

Transmission shift setting were changed to a firmer shift that I preferred, by Jeremy as part of my Tune.

Back in 2007

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
359 Posts
When I replaced my engine rear seal at 120,000 miles, had tranny rebuilt. Was told it was 75% wore out, just like me.

I had changed to synthetic oil years ago, which dropped tranny temp by 10degrees.

Transmission shift setting were changed to a firmer shift that I preferred, by Jeremy as part of my Tune.

Back in 2007

Dicktator
@Dicktator , I probably should know but don't see it in your profile. What year is your truck?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts