Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoweek has contacted me and asked if I could get some reviews of the SSR from owners. They are looking for when the vehicle was bought, the price, opinions and other vehicles considered. He also needs a mailing address, phone number and VIN #. They are looking for about a paragraph for each response. I'm sure they can edit if you post a bit more though!

I suggest that you post your review and let them contact your for your personal information via email. If you do not have email enabled in your User CP you may want to do so. Or you may want to put your email in the post. After posting your review in this thread you may also email your personal info (along with your username) to [email protected]

Autoweek will be watching this thread for your reviews.

[EDIT]Autoweek has asked that reviews be sent to them at [email protected][/EDIT]

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I bought mine in Nov. 2003 from Pallone chevrolet in Springfield, VA. for 48K, including VA state sales tax. This was my walk out the door price. All of the dealers in my area of the country (Va. Bch.) were asking well over sticker at the time. MY vehicle is one of the first 800 or so, I believe 846 was the number. This vehicle has been a dream come true for me. I have been waiting for it since it was first introduced as a concept at car shows around 4 years ago.

I am extermely satisfied. I totally expected a lot more problems, even though I have had my share with top probs. and dealer service. I finally found a great mechanic at Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA and a great service dept. THey have fixed all problems perfectly, although my electrical problem was a challenge. It turned out to be a faulty flasher unit that made my left rear tail light go out and often made both tail lights flash at once when the breaks were applied. This truck certainly has enough power to satisfy me and scoots down the road with enough speed to get where I want to go. I have also autocrossed it and am still having fun doing that. Those tires really make it stick in the twisties!

I drive this vehicle every day and have seen very few on the roads around here. it is definately my daily driver. I plan on painting my SSR myself with the help of micarcollission.com in Chesapeake later this month or in July. I have the idea airbrushed on paper and board and will be able to transfer it using a step down technique with masking to avoid clearcoating the entire truck. It should have a rather slight edge, but minimal when done, as opposed to clear coating the whole thing and costing more time and $$$$!

THis is what she will look like when done:

and here is a detail:

I want to congratulate the entire SSR team for doing such a high quality job and making my dream of owning a real hot rod before I die a reality. Thanks GM!

Ed Obermeyer

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
#1740 Review

I took delivery on Dec 5th '03. Placed order w/ dealership on 6/3/2003. Purchased on eBay - paid a little over MSRP...

Best new vehicle ever purchased - considered no other vehicles. Had my eye on the SSR since reading an article in '99 or '00 in Fortune mag - saw the drawings and knew I had to have one.

What I sent to Gary Witzenburg when I asked him to sign my SSR book:

"I had been told I was first in line at my local Chevrolet dealership (Selma CA) - but after VIN #...002 sold for 140k - the dealership decided they wanted 35k over MSRP. Wanting an early '03, I ended up buying my SSR via eBay the last week of May 2003. The first week of June, I went line for line through the VOMS order process with Steve Edgar from Karl Tyler Chevrolet.

I flew to Missoula, Montana on Dec. 5th, and took delivery of #1740 - a Slingshot Yellow SSR. (In June a drive home from Montana included plans for Yellowstone - the Grand Tetons with my daughter.) I wasn't sure if I would be able to drive it out of the state due road conditions - but, I lucked out and was able to drive home (Kingsburg CA) between snow storms.

I've nicknamed my SSR "Little Wing" and have had the most wonderful new car experience ever. The "WOW" factor of the SSR is unreal - on the way home, somewhere south of Portland OR folks were taking pictures of it while I was driving on the freeway. As captured in the 'Car Carrier' commercial - the response from kids is amazing. My wife and I were driving past a rural Central Valley grade school (Centerville CA) - and were delighted when an entire playground stopped what they were doing to watch us drive by - picture basketballs bouncing away unattended - kids pointing and waving. What a wonderful experience!!!"

Please check out MY Gallery here at this site - if you need high res copies of photos let me know...

G

·
0 Posts
Review #2851

I purchased mine from Huffines Chevy in Plano, TX Jan 9, 2004. This is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. I have previously been on waiting list to purchase a Mercedes SLK, and a Porsche Boxter. Both where fun cars but don't compare to the attention the SSr gets. Now you see the Boxter and SLK everywhere, hope the SSr doesn't get that way. It was an easy purchase, I just walked in an picked it up so to say, no waiting list or anything. Also Huffines will deal so you can get at or below sticker depending on how well you negotiate. The only thing I don't like is the position of the seat controls. my hands aren't big but still can't fit to adjust the seat with the door closed. As far as performance, I am well satisfied. This car is for cruising and showing off, not for drag racing. It has more than enough power, (although more is always appreciated). I used to ride bikes, so I realize there are no cheap fast cars on the road, as a $10,000 bike will blow 99.9% of all cars off the road. I enjoy this roadster more than any bike or vehicle previously owned. My son also drives a 911, his second, and I won't trade him for it even Steven. ( well maybe if he let me sell it so I could buy a couple more SSRs.). This is one vehicle I plan on keeping a long time. Will also consider buying a second., have 2 grand kids that may need wheels some day. Oh I won't recommend anyone else buy this vehicle, don't need any more on the road,( Big smile).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts