Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AutoWeek, published 08/16/04, did an autotest on our SSR. This is the article that Troy Roberts gave us a heads up on. My comments along with four other owners were printed along with the article. Have to say AutoWeek did tell it like most of us owners do feel about the truck. Wished I'd left the comment out about, "steering like a tank", but then it does... One error I caught was the 1SB package, the tow package is part of the 1SB options, not an extra. :thumbs :flag

·
Registered
181 Posts
Towing package.

Fred, my window sticker lists the 1SB package at $1,900.00 and it then lists the Towing Package Hitch Inset/Ball ***Dealer Installed*** as $235.00. Does this mean that the hitch/ball was not part of the towing package and you pay an extra $235 just for the hitch? What exactly is included in the towing package that comes with the 1SB option?

·
Registered
152 Posts
No tow in 1SB

According to GM's Vehicel ordering Guide

1. The 1SB package includes:

1SB 1SB PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP 1900.00 1691.00
CONSISTS OF:
ENGINE COVER INSERT
MEMORY PACKAGE -SEATS,RADIO,DIC
HEATED DRIVER & PASSENGER SEATS
ELECTROCHROMIC MIRRORS: INSIDE
REARVIEW & LEFT O/S REARVIEW
HOMELINK
AM/FM STEREO W/IN DASH 6 CD
BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM

2. 1SB does not include

VR4 TOWING PKG. HITCH INSERT 235.00 202.10

Hope this clarifies things......

:seeya

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RedTn.SSR & SSRGUY,

Now I have to look at my MSRP sticker when I get home... I'm thinking the 1SB package includes everything SSRGUY has listed plus six (6) other items:
Carpeted trunk with simulated wood trim
Running boards
Tow package
Storage containers (2)
Cargo net and cross bar
SSR mats (2)

Seems I paid around $47 plus for my SSR. I'll check the exact figure and post.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SSR 1SB Package
Standard vehicle price: $41,370.00
1SB package: $1,900.00
Extras: $2,595.00
The only extras not worth it, side saddle storage, $400.00
Total cost: $46,490.00

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I finally saw the article today! A co-worker showed it to me. Kind of coooooollll:) Now someone needs to tell them about the 05 SSR!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
All SSR's are equipped with a receptacle for a hitch tongue. The $235 option is for the tongue.

The dealer had misplaced my hitch. Took a couple of days to find.

I’m under the impression that all “Dealer Installed Options” are boxed and shipped in the bed of the truck.

RedTn.SSR said:
Fred, my window sticker lists the 1SB package at $1,900.00 and it then lists the Towing Package Hitch Inset/Ball ***Dealer Installed*** as $235.00. Does this mean that the hitch/ball was not part of the towing package and you pay an extra $235 just for the hitch? What exactly is included in the towing package that comes with the 1SB option?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I am not sure how they are shipped but the running boards wouldn't fit in our bed had to take another truck to pick them up. Also our bed strips that were taken out to place the saddle bags in were tossed in the trash. I am not sure if they came already in or if the dealer put them in once it got there.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Dealer Installed Options

The Dealer installed options are shipped seperate from the SSRs. (not in the bed or trunk) The order goes into SPO at the time your vehicle gets through paint area and is ready for GA or trim assembly (where your options list gets generated *thats where I was fortunate enough to have added my gauge pkg. to my order)

SPO (Service Parts Organization) ships to the Dealer and usually makes it there before your SSR gets to the dealer. (My Aux. Gauge Pkg, running boards & custom floor mats where all shipped to the dealer ahead of my SSRs arrival.) In this case if you ordered the hitch, cargo net and side saddle bags they would have been shipped also.

Yes the trailer hitch is what you pay the $235 for... all SSRs are equipped to receive the hitch.

A

·
0 Posts
from what i could see. the running boards for the 05's are different from the one for the 03 or 04's. does anyone know if this is truee or not.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
05 Running boards

wwadern said:
from what i could see. the running boards for the 05's are different from the one for the 03 or 04's. does anyone know if this is truee or not.
HI wwadern,

I just happen to be in Detroit for a few days attending a couple of GM's QN meetings (always fun to come to Detroit) and I was lucky enough to come in contact with Glenn D. (one of the orginal SSR designers who started back in 1999) we got together and chatted over dinner. :D Glenn is now on a new assignment at GM where he will heading up a group that will be dealing with some of GM's new vehicle accessories... hmmm SSRs... more on that later ;) I congratulated him and wished him well on his new assignment. While I had fun chatting with him I had to ask more about the future of our beloved SSRs.

Yes, the 05 running board is the same as the 03 and 04s. The only difference is the brackets that attaches the running board to the frame is slightly different. In 05s the bracket is angled more to allow the boards to slope with the actual body lines (angles down towards the front fender more) instead of being straight or level to the ground like the 03, 04s. I asked if he thought that we could order the newer brackets to retro fit the 03s and 04s, Glenn thought that it should fit them as well. The other difference for the 05s is of course the new mono-color option where the boards will have the same color as the body of the SSR. (Aux. Gauge Pkg. has that option also)

PS I hope that might help you out with what is different in the 05s with the optional running boards.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Marc

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting the runn board to match the truck. I think the yellow will look great on the truck. Unless I trade it for a '05.

Let me know if you have put the pics from Woodward on CD.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Dealer installed options.

Is the concept of "dealer installed options" something unique to the SSR, or dose GM do this with other models.

I seems to me that some dealers arn't up to speed with the idea.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Dealer Installed Options

HI Glenn,

This is not a new process for the SSRs or at GM. There have been a lot of dealer installed options over the years. Some of the time it's because the Assembly Plants can't put them on due to issues with their assembly process or can even be vendor related. (sometimes real on-line installations aren't feasible) Sometimes it can be the carriers who do not have adequate clearances for the vehicles to allow them to be driven onto them safely (i.e. ground effect options or some spoilers.)

I remembered the time that I had ordered a new Chevrolet Avalanche and the dealer had to have a body shop drill holes in the roof before they could install the roof rack option because the assembly plant wasn't ready for that option and/ or had no method in place to install them at that time. In our case the SSR's options GM felt it was better off having those options installed by the dealers.

Ps. Thus there are still some options that are best or easier to be installed at the dealerships. If dealers aren't up to speed it is because it might be the first time they have installed that option(s)

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
do it your self

I just installed running boards with color matching the body(yellow). I had a local body shop purchase and paint them. (cost me $1200) It looks gorgeous!!!!! Also spent $500 to remove /repaint all the dents and dings, scratches from 6months of abuse. Also removed the chevy logo and the SSr emblems attached on the back cargo door.( they are not glued.. I found 3 holes--extra $200 ) end result is a clean polished rear end with no nothing. I put on colgan bra-(clear bras are too costly for me) for now to minimize damage during the sand storm season here in Palm Springs. When enough cabbage come around I am ready to put on some ghost flames. Painted Rear spoilers should be arriving soon and windbreaker will be installed as well soon.

My night visibility has drastically reduced so I am replacing the stock light with xenon 10,000wt bulbs ($300) they should help me see and drive more safely.

Under the hood, I replaced the stock air filter with green filter. No costly engine or exhaust modifications yet.

Taking care of a baby is very COSTLY!!
I've bought some SSR decal for 4 places on the car through e-bay but they don't fit very well so I painted those letters with spray cans.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Try the decals from domeddecals (look on EBay under SSR - they're a 3D raised letter, and fit the outlines on the sill plates and tailgate plate perfectly. Expensive, but very high quality.

They have also just released a domed or gelcap letter set to fill in the letters on the hood - I've got a set coming in yellow.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sahara:

Just a quick, too late, note... GMDirect sells the color co-ordinated running boards for, I believe, $775.00... My plan is to order a set for my slingshot and to paint the door handles yellow too! Stinking finger prints are a pain... Glad you mentioned the holes in the tailgate as I wanted to remove those emblems also! Trying to find someone in the 3M business that could design me an old fashioned slingshot to apply to the tailgate...

Sorry I missed you and Lloyd at the Spa in Palm Springs!

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts