Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one has mentioned tires and I have not searched through all the threads for the topic so I'm throwing out the subject.

Have had several tire problems which, when they occur, and no spare to use, go to the top of the things to do list. I have had three flats and one sidewall intrusion. One flat on each of the driver side front and rear tire, and a flat on the 20" rear preceeded by a sidewall intrusion of that same tire.

the three flats were all nails picked up from who knows where. There is only ONE place in town which can handle a 20" tire for removal. Hence the Chevy dealer sends all us folks there for repairs. Each flat was patched and tire rebalanced before re-installation.

Went to the dealer for the sidewall problem. He said it was my fault the slit in the sidewall occurred. Didn't like his answer...so I called the 800 number in the manual and after being rerouted several times came to a human speaking voice. Pleaded my case...she said she would check with the dealer for confirmation of what I already knew he would say. After several more pleading conversations with her, 10 days passed by, she said Chevrolet would pay for the tire replacement. Man, was I surprised. The key was that, at the time, I had accurued less than 6000 miles on the odomenter. I believe it was 5800 and change.

The moral of the story is if this happens to anyone, you should be able to get a new tire if the mileage doesn't exceed 6k miles.

Peace

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Bummer, lots of flats there buddy. Tire rack has exceptionally competitive prices in my humble opinion, but others have stated Sears will meet or beat them on it. Have not been happy with Sears quality as of late so I will stay with Tire Rack.com

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed,
Didn't think the tire was that badly priced. Goodyear Eagle 20" changed, balanced total was about $240. :)

Peace

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Good Rapport

Purple Penelope said:
... Went to the dealer for the sidewall problem. He said it was my fault the slit in the sidewall occurred. Didn't like his answer...so I called the 800 number in the manual and after being rerouted several times came to a human speaking voice. Pleaded my case...she said she would check with the dealer for confirmation of what I already knew he would say. After several more pleading conversations with her, 10 days passed by, she said Chevrolet would pay for the tire replacement. Man, was I surprised.

... The moral of the story is if this happens to anyone, you should be able to get a new tire if the mileage doesn't exceed 6k miles.

Peace
One additional moral to that story is… if you can't resolve some of your issues satisfactory with your dealer then try calling the 800 number to register your concerns or complaints. You will find out that you will be listened to very attentively and your issues might be completely corrected to your satisfaction. Remember to ask them for their help and assistance with your issue(s) and state clearly your problems... calmly and systematically.

You may be surprise what a good rapport will do for you. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
So Far The Dealer Has Replaced Two Of My Tires And It Took 13 WeEks To Get The Order Right. THEY SHOWED UP AS OUT OF ROUND ON THEIR ROAD PRESSURE MACHINE. It Seems That Only One Vendor Supplies The Body And Chassis Parts And It Is Hell To Get Any PartS Order Right. I Think That They Are Jobbing Out The Ssr To Foreign Markets. Am I Right Or Wrong.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hey Purple Penelope: How many miles on your tires prior to replacement? Was just curious. Have around 16K on these right now and they are holding up. Just curious how long to go till replacement. :angel

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ed,
I've got almost 17k miles on mine. They have good tread left. The 3 original you can barely tell the difference in wear from the replacement at 6K miles. If the wear follows true to appearence i might get 30K out of them. I'd be happy with that.

Peace :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tire wear...

Ed,

I have 21,600 miles, mostly freeway (I-5 and U.S. 99, central California), on a daily driver red 2004. I have been up to Oregon, Washington and British Columbia and back - all without a flat! (I am knocking on wood as I write this...)

The tires look great... in fact, they look amazing!!! I really believe I am going to get OVER 30k, and I would have settled for that.

Cheers

Randy:flag

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I am sooo glad to hear that. I just took a huge chunk out of savings for my paints and stuff for my paint job this week on my black SSR. Was hoping I could make it till spring on tires and now it appears so! That autocross racing does wear the rubber a good bit faster but man it sure is fun!

Wednesday afternoon I plan on locking myself in the body shop and teaming up with a guy from a great place who does excellent work and the two of us are gonna hammer this thing out according to my designs. I will take pics of the entire process and put them up on my web site when done. :jester

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
redroadster said:
Ed,

I have 21,600 miles, mostly freeway (I-5 and U.S. 99, central California), on a daily driver red 2004. I have been up to Oregon, Washington and British Columbia and back - all without a flat! (I am knocking on wood as I write this...)

The tires look great... in fact, they look amazing!!! I really believe I am going to get OVER 30k, and I would have settled for that.

Cheers

Randy:flag
Hey redroadster,

Glad to here there's another member out there who enjoys his SSR "daily".

Although I get to work from home, so I can pick and choose the days to get it out, I enjoy driving it so your 21,600 miles made me feel a LOT better!

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Purple Penelope said:
No one has mentioned tires and I have not searched through all the threads for the topic so I'm throwing out the subject.

Have had several tire problems which, when they occur, and no spare to use, go to the top of the things to do list.
Hey Purple Penelope,

Just a question to you (or others), did you use the tire patch kit and inflator on any of these flats?

Has anyone else? And if so, did it work?

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buffy,
On my first flat, which was in the garage, I had no choice but to use the pump. Did not use the repair kit as the tire stayed up enough to drive after waiting 20 minutes. The nail was intact, and I believe the tire went down because the nail was on the bottom, with the vehicle weight resting allowed the air to escape.

The pump worked OK to get about 25 lbs of air in the tire. The instructions say not to use the pump more than 6 minutes. When I did stop, the pump was hot and am glad I didn't use it longer. Got to the tire store, and had a patch installed.

I did call the 800 number to be towed...they showed up at the 20 minute mark, and because the tire held, I decided to drive rather than use the tow. Lucked out on this one.

Hope this helps

Peace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts