Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from purchasing my 05 Richochet Silver SSR (VIN 16854).

I had a good test drive with this SSR:

1) Checked the cooling system fan speeds: Low speed - check, High speed - check
2) Operated the top multiple times - no problems
3) Examined roof for scuff marks - none found
4) Monitored cooling system temp (100+ day in Sacramento today) - max 225 at idle
5) Drive shaft tink - none (at this time!!)
6) Bed lid cover - pops up 100% when opened (we'll see over time)
7) Chrome rims - no marks
8) A/C effectiveness - great and no knock-knock noise on setting "2" like my 03 had
9) Window / Seal fit - Windows fit into the roof seal just fine.

The only downer was the fact that the service department had taken apart the driver's side door to get a handle for another SSR. They'll be getting a new door handle for this one and installing it so I can pick it up after my business trip this week.

:party

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
shiftz33 said:
I just returned from purchasing my 05 Richochet Silver SSR (VIN 16854).
Nicely Done! Welcome Back shiftz!

Blast

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Well I certainly hope that this one won't give you any problems :D
I've had mine in for service more than 15 times, but I think that everything is fixed now.

I had gone in to see my service writer on Friday....I wanted to point out that when they put my new tires on, the hub caps were put on incorrectly AND I wanted to tell him about my trip to Lansing. While I was standing there he got a phone call from someone who started yelling at him about getting immediate service for his SSR. The service writer was calm and tried to answer this guys questions, but the caller wanted to speak to the managers and owner. Well the service writer wound up taking the guys name and number to have someone else call him back. After he hung up he just shook his head and other service writers asked him what was up. He said that this guy claimed to be someone high up in GM and wanted his SSR to be fixed immediately (it was 4pm on Friday). I said "those SSR owners are a pain in the butt"......to which everyone in the service department just started laughing.

This service writer had gone way out of his way to help me in the past. So much so that I bought him and his wife a gift certificate to a nice restaurant here. Now I'm not postive about this, but I'd bet that this caller will not get the friendly, courteous and very helpful service I got from this service writer or any other one at this dealership.

So Shiftz33 I hope that you don't have to visit your mechanic again and I definitely hope that you don't get to know him so well you meet his wife and kid, and buy him a dinner or two. But now that I know my I'm happy that I got to know him.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Hey, Shiftz,

Welcome back - hope this experience is a great one for you.

Ray

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up my 05 Ricochet Silver SSR yesterday. It was a blast to drive on the way home!

The service department reassembled the driver's side door, since they had taken it apart to take a door handle out for another SSR. I noticed during my final inspection, they had installed an 03/04 inside door panel on my driver's side door. Dooh!

They claim the 05 door panel is on national back order (SPAT?). I asked them why did they take my door panel if all they needed was the handle and they couldn't answer that question.

My bed cover has a couple of paint imperfections and a scratch. At least they'll work on the scratch when I take it back to get the "real" 05 door panel installed.

The dealership was going to install wheel locks, but after hearing my story of how the GM specified part number wheel locks didn't fit my 03 SSR correctly, they didn't install anything. I had to order the McGard 24012 wheel locks for my 05. This time McGard lists the SSR on their website!

I have a lot of memories from my 03 SSR. Some not so good, some very good and some I could live with.

All of the things with my 05 SSR are in the "I can live with that" or "very good" catagory. That's a much better way to start a car ownership experience!
:cool

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Hey Shiftz,

Welcome back!

Since you've owned both series now, is the 05 worth it?

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a "good" 03/04 and you simply want it as cruiser, then probably not. If you're into raw horsepower, I'd have to say YES!

I'm little amazed at how much "grunt" the 05 SSR has with the LS2 engine in it. I've been trying to take it easy (only 181 miles on the ODO at this point).

Some of the same small issues are present in the 05 as well. HVAC blower motor still makes a whiring noise with engine RPM speed change, an occasional "plastic" slap noise from behind the passenger side seat in the roof storage area, the LS2 is a bit better than the 5.3L engine at idle, but its not as smooth as I would hope for. I've learned to "adjust" my expectations so I can get some enjoyment out of this one.

One big improvement with my 05 is the tranny. My 03 SSR tranny had a horrible time shifting from 1st-to-2nd gear when it was warmed up. This one shifts MUCH better.

For now, my bed cover lid actually opens up when I press the release button. We'll see how long that lasts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts